PDA

View Full Version : Out of the box problem

SteinOnkel
12-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Hello,

I got my spyder imagine for christmas yesterday, and as soon as the battery had finished charging, I put it in and hooked up the tank (which had give or take 1800psi left in it). As soon as I touched the trigger the gun started shooting hyperfast (beyond it's full-auto capabilities). Shocked, I had no choice but to unscrew the tank to make it stop. It does this on every firing mode. What could it be?

Do I need a regulator?
Do I need to turn down the velocity?

Now, I'm new to paintball (have only played 3 times) and this is my first gun. A regulator is what regulates air-flow into the gun, right? Adjusting the velocity changes the fps, not the r.o.f, right?

Could there be something terribly wrong with the gun, or is it just and adjustment error? I took it out of the box and did what I described above, I did not change any settings.

And, yes, it it did cock (but at a much too high r.o.f.) so I'm pretty sure it's not a cocking problem.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
SteinOnkel

druid
12-27-2006, 02:37 AM
It's called "burping" and it's likely because you need to oil all the orings, especially the striker oring. After that, make sure your tank's not near empty.

clickclicksplat
12-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Check here (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/trouble.html#burping)

SteinOnkel
12-27-2006, 10:48 PM
And so the mystery deepens. When there's a ball in it, it shoots fine? Is this normal?

druid
12-27-2006, 11:28 PM
yes, because there's "back-pressure" that's helping the recocking process. Take your front grip off the marker. There should be a screen in VA (above the hose). Remove it (it won't really hurt anything). Also...you are using HPA correct? I ask because CO2 seems to give a higher pressure as it expands than HPA. It's also more dense than HPA. If using HPA, removing the screen won't hurt it at all and should fix your problem. If not:

take the frame off the body and look at the noid. See if it slid back in the pocket that it sits in. If there's room in front of it, loosen the allen screws holding it in place and nudge it forward and tighten the allen screws again.

SteinOnkel
12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Wow, I'm sure that would help if I had the slightest idea what any of the above means. Can you type it out a bit more noob-friendly, please?

SteinOnkel
12-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Oh, and I am currently using HPA, but will switch to C02 soon. It's not my hpa tank that I'm using right now, and the person who owns it may want it back. When that time comes (should be maybe three more days :\) I will be buying a 20oz C02 bottle.

bigred76
12-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see some new, intelligent, thinking members bestowed upon us this Christmas season. :) Basically... the ball inside the marker stops some of the air from going out the barrel and some magic way that makes the gun recock better. That's as simple as I think I or Druid can make it, haha!

I'd actually try turning up the velocity a little bit if it's all the way out. It might just be what Druid said, or that the striker doesn't have enough "umph" behind it to open the valve enough... Doubtful, but worthy of a try. And yes, velocity raises FPS, not ROF.

Fixing this problem depends on your lazy-ness level. If it were up to me, I'd send it back to Kingman for another/fixed one. Fixing it yourself is more rewarding and quicker, however.

BTW, there's an "edit" button on the bottom of your post to add something to it... just for future reference. :)

SteinOnkel
12-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Well, my paintball store gave me a 1-year warranty. I'll just drop it off on Firday and say: deal with it. That's pretty much as quick and lazy as ever. And free ;)

However, I'm kind of bummed out about this whole thing. It's brand spanking new. Just my luck that I get the 1 out of 10,000 others that doesn't work right out of the box.

Halucin8
12-28-2006, 04:11 PM
every spyder you get you should take out the bolt and striker and oil the orings. the dry rubber will drag the striker and bolt down needing more air to recock the marker. So before i took it back i would take it apart and oil all the orings in it. then try again. if that doesn't solve the problem I would take it back. Do not use wd40 or any penetrating oil to lubricate your marker. Use paintball oil. If you have none use air tool oil as a last resort unitl you can get some paintball oil. walmart sells some for like 2-3 bucks in sporting goods