PDA

View Full Version : MR3 Chopping Paint Bad!

Xtreme
12-25-2006, 07:22 PM
My friend has an MR3 that has been chopping paint, regardless what mode its in. We have disconnect the eyes (yes I know the eyes only work in semi). The gun is basically stock with the exceptions of either a 12" or 14" J&J Barrel, alamo city low blow bolt and a Halo B hopper. I am trying to help him out, but its frustrating when I can take his hopper and paint, put them on my MR2 and rip it to hell and not have one chop or misfire, and I have the same bolt, barrel and I am also running a new valve, and palmers regulator( pretty much a LP MR2). All of these issues have been here from the start, before the mods to his gun, I think it might be the ball detents, because it doesnt happen as much when he is using a gravity hopper. I am just wondering if anyone has had the same issues or heard of this on other spyders, just needed alittle guidance.

DRAGON
12-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Ya, try new detents or a different hopper -

rob quon
01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
is it breaking in the barrel before leaving the marker? i have heard the the MR3 can break paint if the velocity is turned up too high (ie: 400fps). this shop that i frequent had a customer with a 3 and he was complaining about breaking paint. the owner of the shop took the marker out and had the same issues. he then lowered the velocity to 280fps and shot an entire hopper without breaking paint. at 400fps, the paint was breaking in the chamber.

Xtreme
01-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback, as far as the FPS at 400 that is insane, the marker is breaking paint a 260- 290 fps, I hope for anyone playing paintball that no one is play with a marker shooting over 300 fps, WOW! However we have come to the conclusion that we are having an eye and board issue with the gun, the reason I say that is the marker will only fire in 2 of the 3 modes, 3 rd burst doesnt work,( yes I know the eyes only work in semi) so my friend spoke with kingman and they instructed him to send the marker back for review and possible repair. So only time will tell if it gets better.

Halucin8
01-16-2007, 05:23 PM
when he gets it back let us know what kingman said.

rob quon
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
i finally took my 3 out this weekend. it was breaking paint left and right. i spent more time stripping it down and cleaninig than i did playing. i was upset because both my brother (has an mr2) and i were breaking paint in the barrell.

i want to say that it was the paint and not the gun. i was using proto paint and the balls were breaking only being dropped from about 3 feet up. normally they would bounce from that height. it was freezing cold that morning and we transported the paint in the back of the truck exposed to the cold air. has anyone ever heard of paint reacting to cold weather that way? the shells seemed pretty brittle and that is why i think that the paint was breaking in the barrell - even at 265 fps.

later in the day, we used some diablo paint that shot more accurately and did not break.

i was pretty upset with the entire day because i was expecting to have a good time, not clean my marker all day.

if anyone has any suggestions or comments, i welcome the words of wisdom.

DRAGON
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
if anyone has any suggestions or comments, i welcome the words of wisdom.

Buy fresh good quality paint and enjoy the day - ;)

rob quon
01-18-2007, 04:32 PM
is proto not good quality??? what are you shooting with?

emf7301
01-23-2007, 09:51 AM
I've never used proto but i'm pretty sure it is good quality. It is probably because of the cold weather and transporting the paint in the cold. You probably should have kept it in a warm environment until you went to use it. Using paint not designed for cold weather when it is below 40-45 degrees can often cause the paint to become brittle and break easier as you found out.

rob quon
01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
you are very correct. i went back to the shop and the owner said the same thing. i hesistantly purchased another case of proto darts to use the following saturday. it was a bit warmer, but i did keep them warm on the way up and we only broke about 10 balls out of the entire case. my brother has a mr2 with a vl hopper and the balls keep bouncing back up into the hopper. he is breaking paint a little more than he expectted but not as bad as the week before.

mt mr3 did quite well. i only broke about 3 balls out of the 1500 that i shot. i have a q-loader and i think that the constant pressure in the feed tube keeps the balls from blowing back.

is there anything that you know of that will help prevent the paint from blowing back up into the hopper?

also, do you know of any good barrels out there? i am farely new to the sport, and can't find any good info on barrels (ie: how they work, why i need to upgrade, and the advantages and disadvantages to having a longer/shorter barrel). i read a little about the diameters having a lot to play with the performance of shooting, but if i could find a resource that lays out the abc's of chossing a barrel, i would be greatful.

thanks, rob

emf7301
01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Good to hear that keeping the paint warm helped. The issue with your brother's gun having blowby up the feedneck is an issue with kingman's poor tolerances and lack of orings on the stock ACS bolt. The blowby can be overcome by a force-feed hopper. What kind of hopper does he have? vl makes many types from gravity to full force-feed, some of the hoppers are good and others are complete crap. Also, does he still have the stock ACS bolt? If so, has he taken it out and broken in the spring inside the bolt? If not, have him take out the bolt and just compress the spring for about 500 times. That'll soften the spring and hopefully prevent more chops.

For everything you wanted to know about barrels, read this: http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrels.html

It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you're willing to spend.

Gary
04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I have a stock MR3 that is chopping paint every game. I have tried 4 -5 different brands and grades of paint only to continuer chopping at about 265 - 270 fps. Does't seem to matter on a cold or warm day because I am still cleaning my gun after or during each and every game.

What can I do?

TheDarkShadow
04-24-2008, 02:01 PM
are your eyes on and clean?

slim and shady
04-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback, as far as the FPS at 400 that is insane, the marker is breaking paint a 260- 290 fps, I hope for anyone playing paintball that no one is play with a marker shooting over 300 fps, WOW! However we have come to the conclusion that we are having an eye and board issue with the gun, the reason I say that is the marker will only fire in 2 of the 3 modes, 3 rd burst doesnt work,( yes I know the eyes only work in semi) so my friend spoke with kingman and they instructed him to send the marker back for review and possible repair. So only time will tell if it gets better.

I dont fallow what you mean the modes the MR3 has are -Semi W/eye, Semi-without eye and full auto it doesnt have burst.

Lonus
04-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Gary what hopper are you using, also what mode are you using? Eyes on? You can run a gravity hopper on an MR3 but you are really asking for problems.

Gary
04-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry for that. since most times I am playing on a field that limits FPS and automatic rates I play semi-auto with the eyes on and use the fasta hopper that says it will provide 30+ BPS. I have not been able to narrow it down yet as to why or really where I am chopping, whether it is in the feed neck, barrel chop, or blowing in the feed neck and up into the hopper. I have changed out the barrel in favor of the 14" J&J ceramic but don't really think this has contributed to the issue.

Thanks

spyderguy208
04-25-2008, 03:46 PM
you are very correct. i went back to the shop and the owner said the same thing. i hesistantly purchased another case of proto darts to use the following saturday. it was a bit warmer, but i did keep them warm on the way up and we only broke about 10 balls out of the entire case. my brother has a mr2 with a vl hopper and the balls keep bouncing back up into the hopper. he is breaking paint a little more than he expectted but not as bad as the week before.

mt mr3 did quite well. i only broke about 3 balls out of the 1500 that i shot. i have a q-loader and i think that the constant pressure in the feed tube keeps the balls from blowing back.

is there anything that you know of that will help prevent the paint from blowing back up into the hopper?

also, do you know of any good barrels out there? i am farely new to the sport, and can't find any good info on barrels (ie: how they work, why i need to upgrade, and the advantages and disadvantages to having a longer/shorter barrel). i read a little about the diameters having a lot to play with the performance of shooting, but if i could find a resource that lays out the abc's of chossing a barrel, i would be greatful.

thanks, rob

A new bolt from Alamo City will also cut back on the amount of blow-back.

TheDarkShadow
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry for that. since most times I am playing on a field that limits FPS and automatic rates I play semi-auto with the eyes on and use the fasta hopper that says it will provide 30+ BPS. I have not been able to narrow it down yet as to why or really where I am chopping, whether it is in the feed neck, barrel chop, or blowing in the feed neck and up into the hopper. I have changed out the barrel in favor of the 14" J&J ceramic but don't really think this has contributed to the issue.

Thanks

hmmm possibly feedneck breaks, how are your detents?

Gary
04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Detents are almost new still and are fine..I take a look at them during each cleaning afer each day of chopping paint :(

slim and shady
04-26-2008, 07:05 PM
If you are getting an abundance of blowback get the fallowing

-Good timmy detents
-ACP 2-oring bolt
-A FORCE feed hopper like a Halo or Q-loader

If blowback is your problem this will beat it.

spyderguy208
04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
If you are getting an abundance of blowback get the fallowing

-Good timmy detents
-ACP 2-oring bolt
-A FORCE feed hopper like a Halo or Q-loader

If blowback is your problem this will beat it.

Slim I'm curious... do you know if all MR2 w/out eye have the blowback problems? I've noticed that some people complain about it and some don't. Mine has major blowback problems that are soon to be solved (I hope) with the upgrades you listed. How does your MR2 w/ eyes work? Any problems?

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Nope no problems with the MR2 with eye, but it has bein the feeling of alot of members that if the MR2 ever did get eyes it would be the best woodsball gun out there. I personaly think it is.

THe regular MR2's it has bein my experiance that all Mr2's have blowback some notice it more then others. If you only have a agitating hopper and a stock bolt you are gonna have alot of blowback as compaired to someone who has a ACP bolt or a forcefeed hopper and good detents to go with it. Now if you get all of the above you stand a fighting chance against it.

Im sure if you get what I mentioned you will be happy.

TKO - S.A.F.
05-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Paint is always an issue but one thing i noticed with my mr3 is that it is better to run air instead of CO2. When i ran mine with CO2 i had alot of breaking issues. Went to air and found no problems, hopefully that lil tidbit helps.

slim and shady
05-16-2008, 10:15 PM
^ S.A.F as in Special Assault Force from Edmonton Alberta????

At anny rate welcome to the forums.

bigred76
05-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Oddly enough (:dodgy:), I feel otherwise... I don't know why your MR3 is chopping as it has eyes. Blowback might be a minor issue, but not when an eye beam has to be broken for the marker to fire. Keep it in semi-auto with the eyes on and it shouldn't have an issue so long as the eyes are kept clean and you're using quality paint that doesn't break in your hopper.

What's so different about an MR2 w/eyes and an MR3? The trigger frame. That's it. The rest is just in how it looks.

As far as the "best" woodsball gun ever... Come on, a Spyder? Pnuemag Tac-One. ;) More reliable (trust me, it's a Mag, it's more reliable!), quicker, no issues at ALL with batteries ('Cept in the hopper), and is amazingly light.

slim and shady
05-18-2008, 10:25 AM
This is another topic of personal users choice, im leaving it at that. With my MR2 with eyes I had some trouble then I threw my new bolt in no trouble, so from my own personal experiance with it, get the ups.

Baron Oso
05-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Hello guys:

I need some advice, I finally received my MR3 and tested last week, brand new. I did receive some advices on getting the EGG3 (VL 3 I think) concidering performance and price (60 USD) and in a game of almost 800 shots I chopped 2 times and almost 3 more (it did not brake the ball, just "chew it") but by recocking and firing in semi-auto mode was able to clean the "chop"without disassembling the marker. Is the EGG3 a good loader? Or the problem could be on the marker?

Thanks for your help