PDA

View Full Version : What. The. Hell?

maximus100389
01-15-2006, 02:22 PM
This story just proves that my local government is becoming pathetic and insanely controling.

I just got back from Shucks, a local automotive store. I needed new wiper blades and an aerasol can of white paint to touch up spots on my car. I get to the cashier and he rings up my stuff. When I am about to hand him the money he asks, "Are you 18 or older?" I'm thinking, "**** what does he think i bought, alcohol?" I told him I wasn't yet. He told me that people under 18 are not allowed to buy cans of paint because the city thinks that we are all going to sniff them. What. The. Hell? I asked him if he was serious, and he told me that the city just passed that law, probably by sneeking it in with the bill that just passed that bans smoking from public areas.

Is this how it is in your towns and cities?

colonel_moo
01-15-2006, 02:25 PM
wow, that is rediculously stupid. i feel bad for you/your town.

bigred76
01-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Yup. There's a lot of examples of overcontrolling by our government, but as this is public (the intarweb), and they are watching us...I'm gonna not say anything....:crazy:

phatphil
01-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Wow, I haven't heard of that around here I've bought spray paint from Home Depot and Walmart within the past 6 months without problems.

shunut
01-15-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that it is a country wide thing, something that the federal government enforced to try to reduce graffiti. At least I know that you have to be 18 in AZ to purchase spray paint.

durrell
01-15-2006, 02:29 PM
There's alot of laws like that here too. I was buying a can of freon for my Jeep when a man walked up and said "Are you authorized to buy that?" I said my dad had told me to get it, so he said.."Be really careful with that, it'll take your hand off and you better not be buying it to go throw it at something"''' Keep in mind this was some dumb mechanic that thought he could feel important. There are lots of examples, government and non-government of things where a couple of dumb kids got stuff ruined for the rest of us..but my city hasnt stopped me from buying paint yet lol..

maximus100389
01-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Well I dont think the reason was for grafiti, the can i bough was the smallest size they had.

and if i did want to get high, even though i dont, i could save time AND money (the can was of a high quality kind that dries fast/matches color/ect) if i just went to one of the 1000s of kids that sell weed at my school.

rediculus

Moe
01-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Ive tried to buy spray paint when i was like...15ish. I couldnt. Its world wide. pretty lame.

TacTownKilla
01-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Whoa you just got back from schucks? So did i dude thats crazy, 12 AA batteries for two bucks cant be beat!

xsgmike66x
01-15-2006, 02:41 PM
i think around here its illegal for a minor to even have spray paint.

*EM1-Master*
01-15-2006, 02:50 PM
I've bought spraypaint on multiple occasions from multiple stores...

DRAGON
01-15-2006, 02:55 PM
.........an aerasol can of white paint to touch up spots on my car. I get to the cashier and he rings up my stuff. When I am about to hand him the money he asks, "Are you 18 or older?" I'm thinking, "**** what does he think i bought, alcohol?" I told him I wasn't yet. He told me that people under 18 are not allowed to buy cans of paint because the city thinks that we are all going to sniff them. What. The. Hell? I asked him if he was serious, and he told me that the city just passed that law, probably by sneeking it in with the bill that just passed that bans smoking from public areas........

The white paint ring around your nose and mouth may have been a dead giveaway lol j/j - :D

As far as graffiti goes, everybody knows graffiti artists steal their paint so restrictions for that offense is negated -

claustrophobia9
01-15-2006, 02:57 PM
tell me where do we draw the line? its the same thing as rating systems except less rediculous, chances of a kid using autopaint for its intended purpose are slim, but you make the exception, that sucks. but what really sucks is the overraction that leads to this, look at our rating system. kids are allowed to hear cursing in one movie/game and sexual encounters in another and drug use in a third, but god forbid they see them all in one movie/game. people think America is free, but if we were free the society we live in wouldnt exist, we aren't free and neither are communist countries, we simply sacrifice different freedoms in order to protect other freedoms.

bigred76
01-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Um, please don't start a flame war with politics, Claus....:crazy:

maximus100389
01-15-2006, 03:47 PM
well i think it was pretty clear that i was intending to use the product for its specific purpose because i asked the guy which paint was best for drying in cold weather conditions.

and i bought spray paint when i was like 14. i was doing the Otter "paint your marker" thing :)

claustrophobia9
01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Um, please don't start a flame war with politics, Claus....:crazy:
isnt that what this is about? laws that restrict access to things because someone screwed up. punishment of a community for the mistake of a few? there is no form of government, including the lack of government that will ever work anywhere near perfection, but overrestiricting laws aren't helping. and there will be a day when the people who are in congress grew up playing grand theft auto, so i dont worry at all.

Xecutiv3
01-15-2006, 07:15 PM
I've heard of it, didn't think too much of it, I dont use it enough to really care (plus I'm 18) What's the law on Airbrush paint?

BTW movies are very laid back when it comes to ratings. Games are considered child's toys to Congress, however IMO, the Hot Coffee mod for GTA is one of those things that shouldnt have been made.

bamf-hacker
01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
but a 12 year old can go to a supermarket and buy as much canned whipped cream as they want... Is that next??

HacKeR

bigred76
01-15-2006, 07:24 PM
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/death scream] They better not take it away from us! :bawling:

Xecutiv3
01-15-2006, 07:28 PM
And whipped cream being the weapon of choice for a....? Can't see why they'd do that, but imagine having to be 18 to buy a baseball bat. I think you have to be 18 to buy a lighter, but what about matches, or lighter fluid. What if Congress did something about candles,cuz nobody thinks that anyone under the age of 18 is responsible enough to watch a candle.

chubb0rz
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Yea I always hated being under 18 just like being under 21. Some of the limitations you have are so retarded. Spraypaint and R-rated movies were high on pest list of being underage.

bomberpilot07
01-15-2006, 11:03 PM
were no longer allowed to use aireal fireworks.... so why the hell do they call it a texas pop rocket anymore :tongue:

claustrophobia9
01-16-2006, 06:23 AM
I've heard of it, didn't think too much of it, I dont use it enough to really care
thats the problem! the people who dont care are the people who can vote, and and change the opinions of politicians. to a politician, im just some warped kid. idifference may seem great because with it, you never feel real bad emotions, like being let down, or sadness that it didnt go your way, but when you are indifferent, someone else gets those emotions, kids who just want a game to play or some paint to paint their models or some paint to paint their cars. there are countless studies that show videogames and movies have no more effect than regular movies or video games to kids unless they are already greatly affected by a negitive childhood/etc. their "diet media" laws aren't helping, and they are costing America tons of money, because people don't know how to use them. example: vchip. it costs extra money to put it in, regardless of whether you want it or not, and then because no1 knows how to use it they spend even more money on educational commercials. there is a problem America, but not with our youth, but with our mechanics trying to "fix" the world, they aren't using the right tools.

DFSniper
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
man, i went to the store to get my PB2X, and the guy at the register said (and i quote) "dont you be doin that sh!t around here!" i was like WTFM8 and walked off with the magazine (after paying, of course). funny thing was he read the cover which showed a guy at NPPL gettin gogged (side view) and in big letters it said "Dynasty Wins NPPL" it didnt even mention any woodsball, but just because i bought the magazine im a random-@$$ hooligan?? next time hes up there, im gonna buy a Guns & Ammo that has a fully set-up AR-15 or something on the cover and stare him down as he scans it!!!

ricochet08
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
i bought some spray paint a few weeks back. they didn't ask me if i were over the age of 18.

i'll check 2morrow, i need some black paint

claustrophobia9
01-17-2006, 12:20 PM
no, buy the ararchist's cookbook, and dfs, thats swearfilter evasion...

Xecutiv3
01-17-2006, 01:30 PM
The problem with politicians is, that the they grew up mostly in the 50's when the world was a much more ignorant time. Half a century later, and some of them are still living in their little bubble of the perfect world where every "Cookie Jar is on the Top Shelf" away from anyone who's not deemeed old enough. Is there any solution? Not really. Congress sits on its Mount Olympus and takes from the people until a sort of Communism rolls in, where people can only receive items that they need, as granted by the government.

DFSniper
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
no, buy the anarchist's cookbook, and dfs, thats swearfilter evasion...

lol, ive seen that book and was wondering what it was all about. as for the swearfilter, ive been doing that for a while and none of the mods have ever said anything to me...:confused:

claustrophobia9
01-18-2006, 11:31 AM
lol, ive seen that book and was wondering what it was all about. as for the swearfilter, ive been doing that for a while and none of the mods have ever said anything to me...:confused:
it has like directions on how to build makeshift bombs, start a riot... all the essentials.

DFSniper
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
whats the legal age limit to buy "parental advisory" cds? over here (at the American stores) its 17, and for R rated movies too.

WhatThaSmurf
01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
well, every where but nashville is 17, i have to be 18 (i hate them so much)

Painguin
01-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Here in HAzleton PA it is up to the store to set the rule, at wal mart i not supposed to sell spray paint super glue or anyhitng else with fuems like that to minors but i use my judgement and let it go sometimes. yea i could get fired for it but o well.