PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

DFSniper
01-15-2006, 07:45 AM
ok, 1st question:

Can anyone give me a rundown on how to remove a stripped guage plug (from an on/off) with a dye & tap kit?

2nd question:

doe anyone know what kind of threading the 2005 CP on/off direct mount screws use?

SparkyGT
01-18-2006, 02:41 PM
get a tool called a easy out, you drill out the center of the plug with a drill bit and insert the easy out (star shaped), then turn out the plug. I have also used left hand drill bits, they cut counterclockwise, sometimes they will turn the plug out on their own. most plugs are steel i think.

DFSniper
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
ok thanks. i thought thats how to do it, but i wasnt sure...now to go downstairs and dig through the tool box.

DFSniper
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
ok. i drilled the hole out, but the Easy Out isnt working for me. my backup plan was to use a dremel and slowly cut away at it from the middle, and then go back over it with a tap and re-thread the threads to get the left-over stuff out, but not even my diamond-tipped dremel bits are working...

DFSniper
02-01-2006, 07:16 AM
ok, now i need help again. what am i supposed to use with the easy out? i tried a drill, that didnt work (or was the easy out bit too small?) bomber suggested a hand drill, but i dont think we own one. also, the thing that you use for the taps doesnt work (its old and wont hold anything)

Eaglelox
02-02-2006, 08:43 AM
you will need to hammer or tap the ez out into the brass plug before you unscrew it. possible that locktite was used. if it was, you will need to heat it before removal.