PDA

View Full Version : DRAGON's Fasta review.........

DRAGON
12-15-2006, 08:30 PM
OK, I'm going to do a review here but add things sporadically since I can't really use it on the field this very moment:

I have the smoke color Fasta LCD e-loader with 30+bps rof, 230 ball capacity, game timer, LCD screen, 18v, audio alerts, weighs 1 lb with batteries, low battery indicator, 20 minute auto shutoff & poly carbon shell -

Came in a nice red box with instructions. When I took it out of the box I noticed you can pretty much see everything inside the hopper. When you open the lid you can see the back side of the board through the plastic and it appears to have a removable chip or something inserted in the back of the board. Through the transparent body you can also see the motor, wiring and tab that activates the turnstile type 4 blade impeller that throws the balls down the feedneck. The body had a built in raceway similar to the Eggo except it looks a bit deeper and the sides are convex not straight up and down. Seems it would hold the balls in the raceway a bit better using this design. The motor runs clockwise rather than ccw like the Eggo. The balls are fed to the left not right -

Installing the batteries are a breeze compared to the Revy and Eggo. You simply slide the lower back portion of the door straight out, install the batteries horizontally and put the door back on. The batteries are not held in by the door at all. AMOF it appears if you broke or lost the door the batteries would still stay in no prob -

The feedneck is very interesting. It’s fluted like a fluted barrel. Seems that would help keep the hopper in place as compared to a flat surface. Nice idea -

I can see why they initially named it the Torpedo because the shape of the front and sides resembles a torpedo -

When I turned this thing on it scared the hell outta me because it made this loud beeping noise. The LCD screen deciphers a game timer that when activated will beep every 5 minutes when the timer is on. It also fast beeps at 1 minute remaining. You have the option of turning the beeping noises off if you'd like in a silent mode. If you leave the hopper on, it automatically turns off in 20 minutes. If you have a jam, you can push the minute button and it activates the impeller to unjam the ball -

The clear spring lid is nice and secure and has a nice ridge on it so you can easily get your fingers under it to open it. Much better than my Eggo lid that's hell opening and closing some times. People were complaining about it being on the top. I really don't see a prob with that or why it would hinder anything at all -

I wasn't quite sure I'd like the smoke color since I always get the solid black colored hoppers. I'm liking this color because it's a true black smoke and not a purple or brown smoke like some of the others I've seen. Think I'm going to enjoy seeing how many balls are left in the hopper rather than sporadically having to check through the lid -

The tab activation seems interesting since I never had anything of the such. There's no eye but a plastic tab w/a sensor on it in the feedneck that the balls touch as they go by that senses each ball. Every time it senses a ball going by it turns the impeller. No movement, it doesn't turn like the eye systems that can at times go off on their own until you manually turn it off if the eye is obstructed. This is almost like the intelli-feed system of the past. You can activate the tab with your finger to see how it works. I'm not so sure how durable this little tab is. I suppose time will only tell for that one. Think it'd be a bit tough cleaning up a puked ball up the feedneck with this system as well -

Well that's it for now until I test it on the field. I'll try to get some pics when I can as well -

Drefish99
12-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Interesting. I would be interested in some good pics. I want to see if it is a true force feed system like a Halo or a Reloader or a semi force feed like a eggy. My old Apache had a similar feed detection system. My worry is that it will be loud like a Eggy or an Apache. Is it loud at all when feeding the balls through?

DRAGON
12-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Don't know about feeding balls since I just got it and haven't even run any paint through it yet. Audible noise? About the same as my Egg I suppose. The inside as I mentioned looks comparable to the Egg with runway and impellars -

Death_Dealer
12-16-2006, 06:48 AM
good write .sounds like the hopper was well thought out ,hows the quality .

TheRedBarron
12-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Sheesh, get offline and go strap that thing to your gat :p after you do, could you rate it, next to the Eggy Y, EggyZ, Halo B?

Halucin8
12-16-2006, 01:45 PM
shoot that thang!! I ordered my lcd in black

DRAGON
12-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Barron, I would only be able to compare it to the Revy, Eggo Y & Z board only since that's all I have ever used/needed -

Some pics for you pictarr nutz:

Couple of shots looking through so you can see how simple the innards are. Looking to the left, that's the component that houses the tab sensor.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p24c9a5a6e380cb614581aa7cacf386ae/eb9897ff.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p7c346d04bb465b057fa11e92befb3a62/eb989585.jpg

LCD screen. Have mine set to 20 minutes while I was tinkering with it. The buttons are tough to depress so you know there'll be no inadvertently changing things by mistakenly pushing one of them.......

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/pa5e1317b2a2ee609f7eef19d918f205d/eb989477.jpg

There's the tab that the balls hit to set off the impeller. It has some sort of sensor on it that may not be too recognizable from the pic.........

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p86dfe051862e1ccbfefa362678df85b8/eb9893cb.jpg

The turnstile type impeller and runway inside the hopper.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/pbec231f681e25f905c69e6276c8b1de7/eb989319.jpg

A shot of the battery compartment underneath. With or w/o the door, I doubt the batteries will be falling out...........

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p205506171bc68c98562a95a338b241ed/eb9892b9.jpg

Door on..........

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p296b10882e703264a26e626a71805dc0/eb989157.jpg

Pic of the fluted feedneck. Nice design.......

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p353b250cea9447eba826207aaaf7c963/eb9891c4.jpg

Back of the board. The thing that I assume is a removable chip is the black & silver thing on the bottom there with the hole in it.........

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p498c438f664974a6450c1f065f6fac2e/eb98923d.jpg

That ought to hold y'all over for a while till I can test it with paint - ;)

DRAGON
12-16-2006, 03:12 PM
If I really wanted to get in depth, ya I would but I'm just presenting this to the members here to satisfy some of their curiousities. I'm quite sure in time there will be some comparisons positive and negative. Hey, you work in a shop and will prolly be getting some of these, right? I'll wait on yours lol - ;)

Oscum Guy
12-16-2006, 04:03 PM
this is kinda like my smoke ricochet 2kx. they both have a tab activation, a spring loaded lid on the top, a fluted feed neck, the same type of battery door, they have that little bump on the back, the same shaped lcd/led window, you can see everything in the hopper and are shaped alot alike. Mine is the led version but on the lcd version the screen/buttons are about the same. look at the pic n the link in my sig, you can see the similarities.

DRAGON
12-16-2006, 04:36 PM
All I see in your thread is 1 pic of a marker and a couple red x's. Didn't think it was a secret that these are made for Kingman by Ricochet. So ya, I'd assume there are similarities. How has yours performed thus far? -

Barron......just order a couple though there isn't a very large profit margin. You know everybody likes fresh stuff -

bamf-hacker
12-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Drago, send it to me and I can add it to the Loader Comparisons :)

Kittenkiller
12-16-2006, 10:19 PM
hey guys, what I don't understand is, if the Fasta ( I want one) is made by Ricochet, then how could it reach 30bps, when Ricochet's fastest feeding hopper is only reaching (advertised speed) of 20bps? I'm no marketing major, but if I have an Ubercool product, then I'm gonna market it under my name first, not just contract-manufacture out to another company without making one with my own label on said product.
That said, have they released a Ricochet branded version of this product?:)

fxdbi
12-16-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm no marketing major, but if I have an Ubercool product, then I'm gonna market it under my name first, not just contract-manufacture out to another company without making one with my own label on said product.

It is possible that Kingman had a larger marketing capability at the time of manufacturer, or that Kingman found they could make some adjustments to the design, have it manufacturered for less by them since they already manufacture similar ones to save production costs and keep the price for the Fasta down. Good for both companies at that point really.

I am not a marketing major at all, but unfortunately I work at a company where I work with the marketing guys, the overseas source guys, well, pretty much everyone including the ceo on an almost daily basis and understand the principles of saving .10 per piece, multiplied by 250,000 pieces - that's $25,000 saved right there.

Hob Hayward
12-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Myeh, I bet this thing won't feed 30 bps, maybe it'll do 20, I'm dismayed by the fact that it doesn't appear to be true force feed. Generally Ricochet totally lies about the feed rate of their hoppers, and I doubt this will be an exception. Hopefully I'm wrong though..

bigred76
12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, it could be a forcefeed.... You know, some people have converted their Eggy's in such a manner. Wait for his on-gun test to decide, IMO...

DRAGON
12-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Well did not get to the field today. :o It's just too close to Christmas and I have a ton of things to do. I did take some time today to do a drop test. I did not use a chronograph to do the time study. I was actually wondering what I was going to use to count the seconds and low and behold, the game timer counts seconds so I used that, how convenient - :D

I took 5 - 10 rd paintball tubes and banded them together then scooped the balls from the bag using that to count them. I used 200 balls at a time and there was plenty of room left for more balls in the hopper which I will touch on later -

My test results when using 200 balls were:

1) 8 seconds 25bps
2) 8 seconds 25bps
3) 7 seconds 28.57bps
4) 8 seconds 25bps
5) 7 seconds 28.57bps

So the average bps(1000 balls divided by 38 seconds) I got from the drop test was 26.315 balls per 1 second. Seems it could have been a little better because there were sporadic hesitations in the rhythm of the balls leaving the hopper. It may have done better if there was a constant back pressure on the stack with this tab sensor system, dunno -

In addition, I tried to see how many balls fit in the hopper at one time with the balls all the way to the end of the feedneck. I use RPS Ultra Evils. Lets just say for my comfort zone, which is leaving the balls a little loose in the hopper, 220 fit comfortably. I could have put more in it but I have had probs jamming hoppers to the max. It sometimes binds up the impeller and if your hopper goes gaga in the middle of a heavy confrontation, at times it can render you SOL -

Well that's it till I can get this thing on the field or a place where the cops won't be wanting to take one of my babies away. I plan to try this hopper with my Imp in 3 or 6 shot mode or full auto. I can set it to 30bps max though I don't like to use those settings. For a short test I don't think it'll be a prob -

Hossy
12-17-2006, 12:42 PM
great job and great pictars!

looks like i may need to get one of these

Halucin8
12-17-2006, 12:56 PM
there is a review on pbreview that says this
"Ok just got this thing Friday ordered it the day it popped up on ebay and had it shipped overnight cuz i was having trouble with my halo keeping up with virtue board in PSP mode and i didnt wanna get a victory board for the hopper so i thought i would give Spyder another chance. When i got the hopper i wasnt thrilled with the look of of, it looked like... well... a spyder product, the screen was o.k. but kinda hard to press buttons with gloves on. I popped battery into hopper and gassed the gun up. It had no trouble keeping up with the virtue board. So saturday i went to PB country ( you can visit their site www.paintballcountryohio.com) and played. everything was going great then i slide into the 40 standup can and i TAPPED it on the ground coming in the hopper stopped feeding. I called myself out went back , replaced battery still nothing, aparently wiring came loose on the feeder and now i have to get it replaced"
the breakign part concerns me a litttle but if it was a wire breaking off that is just a bad solder joint and could happen even with a halo.

TheRedBarron
12-17-2006, 03:57 PM
When you do an actual test drago, do you have a spyder that has pretty significant blowback? if so could you also test it on that, see how well it forces balls into the breech through blowback.

DRAGON
12-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I have 2 LP'd Spyder's and they have average blowby. My Imp has a bit since it has a delrin bolt w/no o-rings. The only time any blowby is most aparent, is with the last few balls in the hopper and there is no tension on the balls at all. I've even chopped a few times with my Imp because of it. I'll watch how jumpy they are when I get around to this. My speculation is, I really doubt it will be much different than the Eggo -

TheRedBarron
12-17-2006, 05:00 PM

leed
12-17-2006, 07:40 PM
zOMG was this made in Australia? The balls go down the raceway clockwise! zOMG zOMG zOMG!

Okay, anyways, how heavy is it? And how big is it in comparison to an Eggy?

DRAGON
12-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Ya leed, me tinks it wasn't made in teh USA or it would spin ccw lol -

Weight......the write up info mentions 1lb. I just weighed mine with the Duracell batteries and it was 1lb 1oz. My Eggo w/batteries weighs in at 1lb 5oz. Not considerable but a bit lighter anyway's. Anyone got the weights of the HALO, Vlocity or Pulse? -

Size-wise......putting both feednecks side-to-side, the front of the Fasta is about 2" longer, the back and bottom are about equal and the top is about 1" shorter than the Eggo -

TheRedBarron
12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I can weigh up my halo vlocity and a pulse sometime tomorrow.

TheRedBarron
12-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Halo w/lith Ion batts and lightning feed 1.52 lbs.
Vlocity with lith Ion Batts- 1.21 lbs.
Pulse with Lith Ion Batts 1.4 lbs.
My Egg with lith ion batts-1.42 lbs.

Keep in mind that lith ion batts are significantly lighter then regular batts.

Oscum Guy
12-18-2006, 12:16 PM
ohh its made by ricochet. i didnt know that. and the hopper is on my gun in the thread. the picture probably didnt load for you.

the hopper is very reliable. it has a good battery life. but cannot keep up with my gun. ricochet lies... i do not get bounces with this hopper. the lid sucks. the screw holes are screwed into plastic so i never take it apart in fear of the screws stripping. it has never broken down on me. it doesent need much cleening. it will work with paint splattered throughout it. it is easy to switch batteries. overall, it is very low matenance.

bamf-hacker
12-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Barron if it is ok with you I am going to add that to my Loader comparison.

TheRedBarron
12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Fine by me.

jr1992
12-18-2006, 04:58 PM
hey im was not for sure bout this loader but now im definately gettin it:) :) :) :). o by the way its for my new spyder electra

DRAGON
12-23-2006, 05:54 PM
OK, so I field tested it today at my favorite renegade field. Bought 2 tanks and 1000 balls with me. Bought the second tank because I wanted to try that out as well since it's new to me -

I started out at 17bps which is what I normally keep my Imp rof set to. Turned the Vision on and set the mode to 6 shot burst. Took some shots and worked perfectly. I then upped the rof to 20bps and let her rip with no probs at all. From there I upped the rof to 25bps and tried that. I didn't notice any audible difference in the rof from the last time so I removed the hopper, turned the Vision off and took some dry fires. It was noticeably faster w/o the hopper on. I then took the rof back to 20bps and tried it with the Vision off in 6 shot burst. It chopped after a few burst of shots. Hmmmmmmmmmm After cleaning the thick Ultra Evil mess I took the rof down to 17bps again and tried it with the Vision off and again, it chopped. :o

When using an eye system the marker will not shoot any faster than the hopper will feed. If you have the marker set to 1000bps it's still only going to shoot as fast as the hopper will let it. I'd say audibly, the marker was shooting at around 20bps with Vision on. I'd need some sort of red chronograph to find a more accurate guess. With the eyes on it definitely wasn't shooting at 25bps when it was set there -

Now for the chopping. Could have been chopping or could have been breaking. Ultra Evils have a very brittle shell and break very easily. This was 6 month old paint that has some dimples as well. I would like to try some fresh thicker skinned paint like Marbs and try this part of the test once again -

Now to assess exactly what happened.......one thing I noticed about this hopper is, from what I can tell, it has no initial fast spin like my Eggo Z board does. Besides the higher rof over the Y board, the Z board has a surge of power to the motor in the beginning and end of the shot surge from the marker. This surge helps get the stack going from a dead stop and tightens the impeller on the stack at the end of the surge. I don't think the Fasta has this initial and ending surge. The HALO has the same thing in the form of a spring tension rather than the board program. If anyone from Kingman is reading this, they might think about having this initial surge added to the board program to improve the hopper. I'm thinking this may be why my Imp was chopping with the Vision off in burst mode. The Imp board doesn't care if the ball is chambered, it just rips from the git with Vision turned off -

Another thing that could have caused the chopping it the impeller is made of hard plastic and the Evil shells are very brittle though there was no paint mess in the hopper at all -

All that, just uneducated guesses. What I really need to do from this point is to have a chronograph handy to see relatively what rof the marker is shooting at in Vision mode and use some thicker shelled paint -

Far as Barron's question concerning blowback, I saw absolutely no upward movement of the balls when shooting. Only time there was any upward movement at all was when there were only a few balls left in the feedneck and no tension on the stack -

All of this portion of this review was based on it's function with the Impulse in full auto burst. It could very well have a different result with another marker. Until I have a chance to further test the hopper using a chronograph and newer fresh paint, nothing is conclusive here at all. As stated, the assessment of the concerns are guesses as well -