PDA

View Full Version : Low Pressure...why is it so loud?

bracer028
12-15-2006, 08:05 PM
i finally upgraded my gun to low pressure. Finally got all the parts except for the AKA lightning bolt (still in the mail)

anyways, i got my operating pressure to about 300. Its still loud *** hell..

how do i fix this?

i'm using low valve springs and a low main spring.

druid
12-15-2006, 08:25 PM
it's an expanding gas that propells a projectile. It's not going to be "uber" quiet...lol.

powerslave_565
12-15-2006, 08:45 PM
use a hard valve spring and a softer main, that should help with the noise and be more air efficient

Nenkitsune
12-15-2006, 09:10 PM
and at the same time kill the fps XP

avantpaintballer99
12-15-2006, 09:23 PM
does this mean the high pressure is quieter?

bracer028
12-15-2006, 09:48 PM
no....high pressure is much more louder...its deafening to the ears....

the low pressure has a really nice blow to it...but its loud thats the thing.

Jobberwocky
12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
lets clarify....are you saying its loud when you dry fire it or shoot it with paint, because there is a monstrous noise difference between the two

druid
12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Jobber makes a good point. When playing with paint, it's amazingly more quiet than when dryfiring...

Also, another thing that I just thought of...Coated barrels vs annoed vs CF barrels...

I spent a few days in Royal Albert Hall a few years ago. At the time of it's creation, it was a state-of-the-art concert hall. There are acoustical deflectors that drop from the ceiling to better direct the sound from the stage...to the back row of the audience. They are adjusted in height according to the amount of sound that's being absorbed by the patrons.

The same could probably be said for paintball barrels. The hardened, anodized aluminum barrel can act as an acoustical chamber that actually amplifies the sound, due to it's very nature...smooth aluminum.

Change that to a "soft" surface...say, a CF barrel or even one with ceramic or Teflon coatings...can act as a "dampener" to the sound based on their acoustical properties. Anything porous will absorb more sound...or vibration, that a smooth or polished surface. Enter: the design of a "silencer." I'm not going to detail it's creation here, but suffice it to say...there's a measure of "pores" and "baffles" and that's what absorbs the sound (plus a method to decelerate the speed at which the expanding air breaks the sound barrier).
Try a different barrel...