PDA

View Full Version : just getting started - a few ?s and such

fxdbi
12-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Hey all, just getting started in paintball, have been out twice and absolutely love it and my wife is getting me a marker for Christmas and I wanted to run it by you all and see if it would work for a beginner and if there are upgrades or changes I need to look at right away or whatever.

It is a used Spyder Pilot (not the ACS) that comes with pretty much everything standard (no upgrades), 12oz CO2 tank, Java mask, regular hopper, squeege, charger for $99. It is supposed to be a factory refurb item - but it seemed like a decent price for the entire setup minus paintballs, even being used or refurb.

From reading on here, I know the first thing I probably want to get is an electric hopper of sorts if I want to use the burst or fully auto mode (and at that my understanding is I proably want to go to HPA to ensure good flow and less chops).

Here's the thing - money dictates that this in the price range I could work in right now, and several guys we go out with have electonic guns and use the 3-burst mode quite a bit, these same guys are seasoned combat vets with one of them having been an Army Ranger. Needless to say I get nailed quite a bit, and felt that with some good practice and the ability to kick three back at them at their rate, I could fare a bit better.

Upgrades can come later, because for the first few months I don't plan on using any of the burst or auto modes that the gun offers, one to save money on wasting paint, two to focus on improving my other skills without relying on just plastering paint in a 20 foot swath emptying my hopper - because with my aim that would just be a waste - but after that I plan on lighting them up with some quick snap fire.

So would the CO2 and standard hopper work if I just plan on using it on semi-auto only until I get better and can also afford the upgrades? I hope so - if not I guess what hopper would you guys recommend that is decent but affordable? I also know getting an expensive HPA tank is not going to happen right now either, but I want to be able to go out and play a few recreational rounds in the woods or range. Below is my type of experience and typical of what we will be playing. Also, is upgrading to the delrin ACS bolt a good idea on this model? And what is the difference between the Pilot and the Pilot ACS other than the CAMD and the ACS delrin bolt?

My exposure to paintball has been as follows: One of the guys in my Church has several hundred acres that he farms on, and part of that has a creek with some good wooded areas, tall grasses and such. Back in September he had a fall get together and about 10-12 of us went and went paintballing with our Church's youth group gear (they have a bunch of Tippman custom 98s, masks, tanks with their own large tanks to refill on site). We played for about 3 hours and it was such a blast - one game lasted about 45 minutes with a huge firefight between 3 guys at the end.

The second time invovled about 30 people, most of them from our youth group with a handful of adults to "supervise" and participate as well. this was played in a very rugged are with some wooded areas for cover, some good ridges and some man made cover. We played 3 or 4 rounds and took almost 4 hours to do so. We did one free for all, two teams just trying to kill each other and the rest were capture the bunker/hill type secenarios.

Needless to say, my brother-in-law just got an older autococker for his birthday that his wife got him that had everything but the mask in a pretty nice case from a pawn shop for under $100. It shoots pretty nice and smooth and was well taken care of. I figured it this way, if we go out to the boonies (or to the forest since we live in colorado by the nice rocky mountains) I need to borrow a gun from someone or the church's youth group or not go. If we go to the field just outside of town, I have to rent one (or borrow one) and I figured it up, and after 5 times of going and renting equipment I could just buy this one and have it available at all times.

Well, enough of my rambling. I am hoping to really learn alot from the forum and to share some good stories of welts and bruises.

Hob Hayward
12-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, first off let me say that the mask included is really crappy (prettymuch every mask that comes in a powerpack is) I dunno what you've used before, but its worth spending the 25-35$ to get a decent anti-fog mask (Jt Elite Nvader or Nforcer are both good for this). You can also get a bigger tank for pretty cheap aswell. So what I'm saying is that you might be better off buying a refurb imagine from action village a 20 oz. co2 tank and a thermal mask also, it might come out to a bit more than 100$ but it'd be worth it.

I just cheacked the prices, its 64 for the imagine, 30 for the JT Nvader and 15 for the 20 oz. co2 tank. that comes out to 110$ but IMO is worth the extra, a basic hopper is 5$ more, or you could just get a faster hopper at the same time, or buy one off ebay or the forums here for much cheaper.

Hard for me to think in bargain mode after putting hundreds into my Imagine. First Upgrade i'd get would be a new barrel.

Oh yeah, if you want a much better marker the Pilot ACS is going for 110 new on Action Village, its a great gun, and the stock barrel performs better than most.

fxdbi
12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Our church group has a whole mess of masks - though I am not sure the brand they stink - hard to fit, they fog really horribly bad, but hey they bought like 50 of them, along with the tippman 98 customs and everything to pretty much run a rental store with jsut for the youth group to use.

Here is a link to the auction - and I guess I don't get to change my mind - my wife already bought it, paid for it and it was shipped and will be here end of the week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-PILOT-Paintball-Gun-Guns-Electronic-E-Marker-PKG_W0QQitemZ300059834393QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47246Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have been reading through the forum and over at Otter's site about some ups, mods and such to get a better idea about all this.

BTW - what is the difference between the Pilot and the Pilot ACS?

spyderaron
12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
The Pilot ACS has the Anti Chop System bolt. It dosn't have the second trigger gard. Those are the only difrences I know of.

Oscum Guy
12-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, first off let me say that the mask included is really crappy (prettymuch every mask that comes in a powerpack is) I dunno what you've used before, but its worth spending the 25-35$ to get a decent anti-fog mask (Jt Elite Nvader or Nforcer are both good for this). You can also get a bigger tank for pretty cheap aswell. So what I'm saying is that you might be better off buying a refurb imagine from action village a 20 oz. co2 tank and a thermal mask also, it might come out to a bit more than 100$ but it'd be worth it.

I just cheacked the prices, its 64 for the imagine, 30 for the JT Nvader and 15 for the 20 oz. co2 tank. that comes out to 110$ but IMO is worth the extra, a basic hopper is 5$ more, or you could just get a faster hopper at the same time, or buy one off ebay or the forums here for much cheaper.

Hard for me to think in bargain mode after putting hundreds into my Imagine. First Upgrade i'd get would be a new barrel.

Oh yeah, if you want a much better marker the Pilot ACS is going for 110 new on Action Village, its a great gun, and the stock barrel performs better than most.
I agree, if you get shootin fast and your hopper cant keep up, youll chop like crazy. semi-auto is better than auto and burst. trust me. its faster and more controlable. for a cheap electric hopper for that gun i would go with a rcochet 2kx(15 bps) a ricochet apache (17 bps) or an evolution 2 (19 bps). they will al keep up with auto and burst (since these go upto 13 bps) and semi goes upto 20 bps (depens on how fast you can shoot). a great, good quality mask for cheap that i use is a proto switch el. this hardly fogs, has good ventilation, esay to replace lenses, it is comfortable, it looks cool and only costs $30. if you get the java mask youll regret it. it fogs and is not comfortable. it also breaks easily. trust me on this too, go the switch route. upgrades: i would first get a new clamping feedneck because the plastic ones break very easily and sit 5" of your gun. i would then get a new barrel. the smart parts linear is great and cheap. it cost $35 dollars for all sizes. it is rifled and comes in 12, 14 16 18 an 20". if you play speed ball you should get a 14" barrel. if you play woodsball you should get a 16". you dont want to long of a barrel because it takes more air to get the paintball out. about an hpa tank. you will definately want one. it makes your gun so more efficient. its really your preference on what size you want (depends on how much money your willing to spend). you wont believe at first but your gun will work 200% better on hpa. a new regulator would be a good upgrade to. it makes your psi/fps more consistent. an evil detonator regulator is a good choice and only costs $25 on firstcallpaintball.com . if you want a new reg youll need a new asa though. the pilot does not us standard asa threads but an allen wrench tightening type deal. it doesent really matter what asa you get but youll want on with a big hole for air flow. the new spyder stock ones have large holes. if you want to go even farther you could get an on off asa bottomline/dropforward. these let you turn of your air flow to make inserting and removing you tank. they also do not let nearly as much air out when you take out the tank. if you want acs you can always buy an acs bolt seperately. on firstcallpaintball.com they have one made by core for only $7. ummm. yeah thats all i think.

this was like the largest reply ive ever typed on a forum. lol.

Halucin8
12-13-2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/pages-productinfo/product-3876/kingman-kingman-pilot-with-acs-bolt-refurb.html?zenid=***909ee89974d1afbbd7465a84b5fed has refurb pil9ot acs for $80 and search for used co2 tanks around here and such you can be real close to that $100 mark with gun and tank and mask and have a very good marker

Oscum Guy
12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
he already ordered the gun.

fxdbi
12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
he already ordered the gun.

Well, my wife ordered it....at my recommendation. :)

I was on the firstcall site and didn't see that ACS one - otherwise I probably would have went that route. What is on it's way will work for me I think :cool:

It is an investment of time, energy and money right?

I think the mask will be gone when I get it - I don't like taking chances on poor safety equipment.

The rest I think shouldn't be to bad to upgrade to with the exception of the HPA which may have to wait until tax time or birthday time :(

I should be okay to play the occasional woodsball game with the guys from church (we may go out maybe once a month on the warmer days 45*-60*) with the CO2 setup right (I can not squeeze the trigger that fast - at least not on the tippman 98s I have used in similar conditions without any trouble).

I can probably get a new hopper in a few weeks, but would like to get out before then so I may just have to make sure not to go that fast (not like that's an issue anyway - :) I was the slow poke shooter last time I played).

And, I am all for taking a base model, modding it, upgrading it and making it "mine" if you know what I am saying. That is what I do with other stuff like computers, guitars and such, start with a base cheap setup, buy a part here and there, cut a part here and there, make a part here and there and make it pretty good, not the best, but good engough for me.

Hob Hayward
12-13-2006, 03:54 PM
The mask isn't bad per se, it'll protect you fine, but as all crappy masks do it would fog up on you. You'll easily be able to pull faster with an e-grip than it ha a mech 98c trigger. In fact, people shoot up to 17-18 bps just by pulling the e-trigger that many times per second. So don't be surprised if you DO outshoot the co2 recharge rate.

Backmanshooter
12-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Well for masks, there are some really good ones for cheap. Proto EL for 27 bucks. Also some vforce masks for 30ish.

Fast hopper is good. Cause if you really get into it, you'll need it for the next marker. Same goes with HPA.

Just enjoy the sport and be safe.

Oscum Guy
12-14-2006, 02:35 PM
you should try the new kingman fasta. its real fast and only $65 for the cheapest one. $70 for next one. or an eggy II(evolution 2) for $60. ricochet 2kx is really cheap and apache is like $5 more or something.

fxdbi
12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
FC paintball has an eggy III with a 2000 round case of paint for $80 as a holiday special - not that my wife will let me spend that right now but thought I would throw that out here. Of course the 2kx is out of stock there, but they only want $35 for it.

I may look into the the Fasta for the money it offers good speed - might as well get a loader and the air system that will work now and in the future for any upgrades or new markers I might buy.

fxdbi
12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Okay, after a few days research my goal to add (as noted in my signature now) is as follows:

Either a fasta or eggy II/III loader first with the clamping feedneck. Then add the new barrell, acs bolt, then the new air system (probably a 3000psi 48ci to start with as they are only $55-60 new).

I found a thread on here with a link to a 50g micro switch upgrade I would like to get as well that is a direct drop in replacement.

I am getting very excited for this - I may be going out tomorrow with some guys (using borrowed equipment) for a few hours as it is supposed to be in the 50s -then get cold and snow. Of course the local field is having a free weekend the last weekend of December, all you need to buy is air and paint - no field fees and I will have my marker by then.

Oscum Guy
12-18-2006, 01:46 PM
if you want a 50g switch you should do the microswitch mod on this site. i did it on my e99 avant. it is really easy and makes your switch really light.

and btw- $35, i bought it for $54! that was only like 4-5 months ago.

fxdbi
12-18-2006, 02:15 PM
if you want a 50g switch you should do the microswitch mod on this site. i did it on my e99 avant. it is really easy and makes your switch really light.

and btw- $35, i bought it for $54! that was only like 4-5 months ago.

I seen that earlier today in another thread and thought, hey, I could make it myself -

$35 for the hpa tank? switch? :confused: mask?