PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mans Eggy z-board Mod (SPEED for Free)

MVS1
12-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Well I got bored the other day and decided to compare the difference between my z-board and y-board for my egg. Conclusion...the variable resistance pod used to control the speed of the y-board (and a few other components but we are not interested in those). After taking some resistance checks I determined that the higher the resistance the faster the feed motor ran. After removing the variable pod, essentially maximum resistance, I tested over the Chrono. The Mod'd y-board fed the exact same rate as the z-board (23 bps), consistently. Now there are a few other functions the z-board has that this mod will not get for you, however if speed is what you want, for free, it is only a soldering iron away.

08Lud08
12-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Thats cool that you found that out. Can you get a pic of what to solder. also does it waste batteries faster or have any bad effects on the motor.

MVS1
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Thats cool that you found that out. Can you get a pic of what to solder. also does it waste batteries faster or have any bad effects on the motor.
You will actually need to use the soldering iron to heat up the solder on the foil-side of the board (side that does not have components mounted to it) so that you can remove the variable resistance pod (speed adjuster). Alternate between the 3 pads while applying slight pressure (pulling extremely lightly) on the variable pod, until it comes off. Good way to do this is to use a pair off pliers and a vise or something similiar to hold the board immobile (not too tight or you will damage the board, see picture). Don't get in a hurry, when it is ready the pod will come off Battery usage would presumably be a little quicker than running at the slower speed, however I ran three hoppers full through and measured the voltage of each battery, they where only .3 volts less than when I started. The motor is capable of running at the higher rate. When you upgrade to the z-board the only thing that is changed is the board, motor is still the same.

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/6434/2002299916518363135_rs.jpg

DRAGON
12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
What mod, what pics, WTF are you talking about? -

MVS1
12-12-2006, 06:50 PM
What mod, what pics, WTF are you talking about? -

Sorry, camera was acting up and it took some time to get it straightened out.

vwjimmy
12-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Do you mean the "Pot" that functions as a speed adjuster?
When you remove it, is that all that is necessary? No jumpers?

MVS1
12-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Edited post with picture of mod'd y-board...
Do you mean the "Pot" that functions as a speed adjuster?
When you remove it, is that all that is necessary? No jumpers?
Yep, remove the pot and your ready to rock. Like I said this only increases the motor speed (feed rate). This won't make your y-board a z-board, it just gives it the capability of the advertised feedrate of the z-board.

*EM1-Master*
12-12-2006, 07:31 PM
For the record, removing this and setting up an intellifeed link = amazing results with the Eggy. I've seen 28bps constant to empty hopper with that setup.

MVS1
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
For the record, removing this and setting up an intellifeed link = amazing results with the Eggy. I've seen 28bps constant to empty hopper with that setup.
Do you have a link or info on steps to setup intellifeed link to egg. Just need to know where to make the connections on the egg.

timmyshoota
12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Shens on this or even a zeggy doing 23bps. Even bigger shens on the intelli doing 28bps.

Eggys just ARENT that fast.

Edit: Good mod though, definately for someone on a budget.

MVS1
12-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Shens on this or even a zeggy doing 23bps. Even bigger shens on the intelli doing 28bps.

Eggys just ARENT that fast.

Edit: Good mod though, definately for someone on a budget. I don't know about the intelli link hitting 28 bps...however the chrono doesn't lie, I tested the y-board before I removed the pot and it ran consistent 19 bps (as advertised) and consistent 23 bps with the pot removed.
Don't know what to tell ya...

Jobberwocky
12-15-2006, 11:52 PM
This mod is in http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1764639 (the PBNation official egg mod thread) and if you remove the speed adjuster resistor, wouldn't you have to solder in a higher resistance resistor? Or is removing the speed adjuster altogether giving maximum resistance? Cause in the other mod, the guy installs a 100k ohm, 1/4 watt resistor, which gives the maximum speed, (after which any more resistance doesn't increase speed) Would this save the batteries?

vikingshadow
12-16-2006, 04:42 AM
Actually, if you're talking about the red chrono, it does lie. It's not all that accurate at all! I had my shocker capped at 15 for a PSP style tournament, and it told me I was shooting 25 bps. I've never found it very accurate at all. If you're talking about other chronos, though, I don't know.

I wonder - by removing that "pot", would the motor burn out faster? I also wonder about the life of your batteries. Any idea on these two things?

druid
12-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Actually, if you're talking about the red chrono, it does lie. It's not all that accurate at all! I had my shocker capped at 15 for a PSP style tournament, and it told me I was shooting 25 bps. I've never found it very accurate at all. If you're talking about other chronos, though, I don't know.
Vike...are you talking the huge PMI chrono? If so, yeah, yer right.
I wonder - by removing that "pot", would the motor burn out faster? I also wonder about the life of your batteries. Any idea on these two things?

You will actually need to use the soldering iron to heat up the solder on the foil-side of the board (side that does not have components mounted to it) so that you can remove the variable resistance pod (speed adjuster). Alternate between the 3 pads while applying slight pressure (pulling extremely lightly) on the variable pod, until it comes off. Good way to do this is to use a pair off pliers and a vise or something similiar to hold the board immobile (not too tight or you will damage the board, see picture). Don't get in a hurry, when it is ready the pod will come off Battery usage would presumably be a little quicker than running at the slower speed, however I ran three hoppers full through and measured the voltage of each battery, they where only .3 volts less than when I started. The motor is capable of running at the higher rate. When you upgrade to the z-board the only thing that is changed is the board, motor is still the same.

There ya go vike :D

vikingshadow
12-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I saw that, but it doesn't tell me anything! I ran my eggy on the same batteries for over 2 months (installed at one tournament, used every weekend after for practices with at least two or more cases used, then only changed them again because it was another tournament.) Of course, this happened multiple times over the 1+ year I used the Zeggy -

I use ONLY Duracell Ultra's - the king of the batteries, of course! What batteries did he use? Just question after question after question.....

TheRedBarron
12-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I saw that, but it doesn't tell me anything! I ran my eggy on the same batteries for over 2 months (installed at one tournament, used every weekend after for practices with at least two or more cases used, then only changed them again because it was another tournament.) Of course, this happened multiple times over the 1+ year I used the Zeggy -

I use ONLY Duracell Ultra's - the king of the batteries, of course! What batteries did he use? Just question after question after question.....
if Im not using my lith ions for some reason (forget to charge them etc) I use Duracell Pics batteries, they are designed for stuff that requires more juice, they seem to last longer then ultras.

MVS1
12-16-2006, 09:07 AM
This mod is in http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1764639 (the PBNation official egg mod thread) and if you remove the speed adjuster resistor, wouldn't you have to solder in a higher resistance resistor? Or is removing the speed adjuster altogether giving maximum resistance? Cause in the other mod, the guy installs a 100k ohm, 1/4 watt resistor, which gives the maximum speed, (after which any more resistance doesn't increase speed) Would this save the batteries?

Just go for broke...there is no higher resistance than an open circuit, if that had not worked then I would have tried installing a pot with a higher threshold than 57K ohms, however, as stated in the first post of this thread I compared the y board to the z board and figured if they didn't have to replace the pot with components to get the motor to run why should I.

Thanks for posting the PB nation thread, its always good to know your not as smart as you thought :o

MVS1
12-16-2006, 09:17 AM

I'll have to get back with ya as far as the battery life goes. I've ran through about 2K rounds and they seem to be still running strong. I usually change out my batteries after everyother outing, but I'll leave these in and see how long they last.

I used brand new Duracell Ultra's...and your right, there are a ton of variables that could impact the results.

Nenkitsune
12-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Just go for broke...there is no higher resistance than an open circuit, if that had not worked then I would have tried installing a pot with a higher threshold than 57K ohms, however, as stated in the first post of this thread I compared the y board to the z board and figured if they didn't have to replace the pot with components to get the motor to run why should I.

Thanks for posting the PB nation thread, its always good to know your not as smart as you thought :o
so basically, you just compared teh two boards side to side, and noticed the Y board had the pot, and the Z board didn't. then you took resistance measurements to confirm whether or not that was what made it faster, took out the pot on the Y-board, then compared the speed you got as a result. XP nice mod

Jobberwocky
12-16-2006, 01:54 PM

Oh sorry, lol. Well genius can coexist, so kudos for figuring it out on your own :)

Anywho, how does the circutry deal with this on the zboard, is it an open circut or is it resisted?

MVS1
12-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Oh sorry, lol. Well genius can coexist, so kudos for figuring it out on your own :)

Anywho, how does the circutry deal with this on the zboard, is it an open circut or is it resisted?
Without trying to reverse engineer the z-board too much, here is what I gathered; The different components b/t the boards are there to enable the z-board to stop "free running" once the hopper is empty as well as to help the motor to respond slightly faster. The resistance measurements taken on the y-board after removing the pot where pretty much the same as the z-board and there was not any jumper or resistor on the z-board in the place of where the pot would mount. Using an o'scope I looked at the input to the motor, and the mod'd y-board and z-boards input was identical (voltage being applied to the motor) with the exception of the z-board's leading edge rise-time for the input to the motor was a few milliseconds quicker than the y-boards, which gets the motor to max speed slightly faster. Hope this answered your question.

Jobberwocky
12-18-2006, 06:37 PM
sure does! thanks, so being the same resistances and voltages, the modded yboard should have no difference on battery life than the zboard?

MVS1
12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
sure does! thanks, so being the same resistances and voltages, the modded yboard should have no difference on battery life than the zboard?

I can't say that for sure, too many factors to take into consideration (battery type, how long they were on the shelf before you purchase them, etc) however all things being equal you should not see a drastic change in how long they last. I bought a brick of 9v Duracell Ultras from Costco and they didn't last more than 2 outtings per set, I pick up a twin pack from the Grocery store and they last for a couple of months. I don't like to use batteries for very long. Their fairly cheap and I'd rather not gamble with whether or not they will start die'n on me in the field.
All I can say is that input to the motor is practically identical.

Jobberwocky
12-19-2006, 06:32 PM
thats sounds good enough for me, thanks

*EM1-Master*
12-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Can someone back me up? Anyone else seen and goldwaved the angel with the intellilink eggy on it? No shens on it. Goldwaved myself.