PDA

View Full Version : Alamo City Bolt "Low Blow"

Xtreme
12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Well I got my bolt in today from Alamo City Bolts, I ordered the Low Blow Bolt, So sometime tommorrow I will be putting it in my marker, It looks pretty interesting, The only problem I see is that it is milled for two orings, which are there but it you look at the edge of it or run your fingers down it the oring doesnt protrude above the bolt, so I dont see how it would help effeciency but hey who knows, so might try changing out the oring for thicker ones, but I dont know it that would slow the bolt down! Well update you guys on some testing, if anyone has a specific test they want me to try let me know. Also I am converting my MR to low pressure, I have already installed the New Designz valve, and have the palmer stabilizer on its way. It should be thrusday.

Halucin8
12-12-2006, 05:03 PM
do not change those orings they are quad orings. they are sort of a square made out of 4 concave lines so you have 2 sealing surfaces at the edges instead of a round one that seals in the middle. They work very good.

DRAGON
12-12-2006, 05:26 PM
........The only problem I see is that it is milled for two orings, which are there but it you look at the edge of it or run your fingers down it the oring doesnt protrude above the bolt, so I dont see how it would help effeciency but hey who knows, so might try changing out the oring for thicker ones, but I dont know it that would slow the bolt down! ...............

I doubt it's the o-rings but the milling. Sounds to me the slots were milled too deep therefore the o-rings aren't above the surface as they should be. I'd really need to see it physically myself to make a final analysis -

Xtreme
12-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Here is a pic of the new bolt with a close up of the orings

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4595/dsc03332hh5.th.jpg (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc03332hh5.jpg)

DRAGON
12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Hahahahaha, that's funked up. :p The o-rings are actually below the surface of the bolt making them absolutely useless lol. Can you say refund or deal with it? I suppose you could try some other o-rings but they will not only add height but width as well. Dunno what else to say - :o

Xtreme
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Well thats good to know I sent them an email and hopefully I can get this resolved, was looking to see how this bolt performed, I guess this is not a good way to start off. Oh well as my friends always say should of bought a tippman, but I keep holding out on that glimmer of hope, of building a sweet MR2!:confused:

DRAGON
12-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Seen some MR mods and stuff here (http://www.sundragonpps.com/paintball_technical_info.html). Look in that Spyder section for some MR suggestions. Good luck with the bolt -

Alien
12-12-2006, 07:06 PM
would it be good to buy this bolt and using the apex with it ?

Hob Hayward
12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Not much point if you have an apex. Better to get a high flowing normal bolt if you've got an apex. If you got stuck without being able to refund it, get some dow33 and put it around the o-rings. Its supposed to be an anti-swellant and it will help to seal where the o-rings are quite a bit. I tried dow33 on my sunbear bolt and it went from a small piff of gas out the top (not enough to actually blowback, but still some air) to nothing at all.

darth massacre
12-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I just got mine today too - same problem. ACtually worse - some parts of the O-ring is just above the surface, some are below. I'm looking at irregular milling.

DRAGON
12-13-2006, 02:37 PM
So it appears they have no QC standards. This makes me wonder what the rest of the bolt's tolerances are like? I mean, delrin should be the most simple material to mil right? -

darth massacre
12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
I checked with Granpa and he said he had the same thing. I was wondering if anyone else has the same issues with alamo city bolts.

Jarhead
12-14-2006, 06:30 AM
So it appears they have no QC standards. This makes me wonder what the rest of the bolt's tolerances are like? I mean, delrin should be the most simple material to mil right? -

From the email I recieved from Alamo on a different subject, I think the bolts are hand milled with using mechanical measuring devices. So if a guy has a bad day or just wings it, then he produces a run of products that do not make specifications. I am not sure I am going to order one now.

darth massacre
12-14-2006, 12:19 PM
I'll have to take back what I say with regards the the irregular milling. Turns out the o-rings are just not sitting in properly and by just running my finger over it all round they all now sit in nicely, but like the problem X-treme has, it sits under the surface of the bolt rather than slightly protruding out.

Granpa also told me to apply a couple drops of dow 33 in each o-ring. Maybe it'll expand after a bit. Will only know for sure when I try it out.

As far as I can tell, the dudes at alamo city doesn't just wing it. If it fits the lathe then it should be okay. But I'll have to get it into the marker before I make further comments about performance....hopefully soon.

Xtreme
12-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Well I spoke with Alamo City Bolts and didnt get anywhere, I have a friend with a MR3 and I am waiting to see his, How ever I did get mine to work, I just streched the oring a bit but it goes in go, I barely have any blow back at all. And it shoots extremely accurate, amazing, It is also very quite. Overall I am impressed. I will report back after I do some distance shooting, as far as what Ive gained. This was all done on CO2 but I am awaiting my HPA tank.

Here is a pic of it setup.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4027/dsc03409nx9.th.jpg (http://img284.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc03409nx9.jpg)

Xtreme
12-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh by the way as far as shooting I just chronoed and I am shooting in the 280 fps at 275psi according to the gauge, I did everything that was done to the mr2 on sundragonpps.com. I mean right down to drilling out theasa adaptor.

Hob Hayward
12-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Nice! I can't wait for Christmas so I can see how my bros will shoot.

wylde01
12-31-2006, 03:46 PM
so do you guys recommend the alamo city bolts? and which one?

chagrinback49
01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
does the low blow bolt work well? Will it help with my chopping problems (i have a black detent and it still chops).:confused:

pbgrandpa
01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I can't say anything about the low blow bolt but i have the MR1 MR2 bolt w/o-rings from Alamo City and it's great. It'll cut the blow back out that you get up the feedneck. I've not had the chopping problem that you have. Mine was breaking in the feed neck.

chagrinback49
01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
the balls would break in the feedneck go up into my hopper and coat my bolt with paint. so now i guess i should try a new bolt based on some recamedations. so all i really wanted to know is the low blow bolt really worth it?

Redheadfred
01-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Im doing the same thing , hope its worth it as well . Mine chops in the neck everytime . Im using a Fasta hopper , it feeds it really well so Im curious to what the new bolt will do

Glasher
01-07-2007, 07:58 AM
When it breaks into the neck I think it's a detent prob

The Booth Man
01-07-2007, 09:41 AM
the balls would break in the feedneck go up into my hopper and coat my bolt with paint. so now i guess i should try a new bolt based on some recamedations. so all i really wanted to know is the low blow bolt really worth it?

Perhaps, but you should know the difference between the ACP Low Blow bolt, and the ACP bolt with o-rings.

The Low Blow is designed to put a back spin on the ball. It flattens the trajectory a bit and gives you a little more range. People that have tried them say that they are gas hogs. It's a really ineficient way to increase your range.

The bolt with o-rings should fix your problem. It puts a good seal around the bolt chamber and should reduce or eliminate blow back.

So, is the Low Blow bolt worth it?
It depends on your preference.