PDA

View Full Version : College Laptop

xNinja-Dolphinx
12-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Im looking for a Laptop to take to college with me, I want it to be able to run quickly. It will primarily be used for browsing the web, MSN,iTunes, and photoshop. I might play the occasional game on it, although I am more of the console type. The lighter the better, and the cheaper the sooner I will have it, but I don't need it right now so cost isn't necisarrily an issue. Any suggestions? I have no idea what I am looking for specs wise, which is why I am asking you computer Guru guys.

Jimmyd24
12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
dude, get a dell

timmyshoota
12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Get a Mac. I believe phatphil just got a Macbook with Intel processor for $1100 and its fully capable of what you need. Plus, its a Mac.

durrell
12-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Don't get a Mac for college unless you've had experience with one in the past. What do you do if you get to writing a paper at 2 in the morning that's due at 8AM and your Mac encounters a problem and you don't know how to fix it?

Can't go wrong with a Dell. :up:

DRAGON
12-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Doesn't Hacker have one(or a couple) for sale? -

DyNasty9
12-11-2006, 08:16 PM
mac ftw

for what your doing with photos and what not a mac is perfect.

*EM1-Master*
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a Radeon X300 Mobile video card in it... 1GB of RAM... 19" widescreen(1920x1200)... Plays games great(would have been even better with the nVidia go6800) at full resolution... But yeah... I think you'd love the huge screen on this thing... Not necessarily light, but not unmanagable... More on the desktop replacement level, but still portable enough to tote around... Plus the desktop real estate is great for multitasking and sorts... I <3 this laptop... Think you'd like it too.

FredPo
12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I've had my Dell inspiron 5100 since my freshmen year. Had only one problem with it. The video card went out but I had a warranty so it was fixed and no other problems since.
I'd recommend a Dell laptop so you can customize it to how you like it.
Fred

emf7301
12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not trying to rip on dells cause i'm writing this with one right now but their tech support sucks. They only do hardware support, no software support whatsoever, not even for the software that came with the computer. You have to pay for software support. Gateways have the best tech support that i know of. They cover both hardware and software support. If you want light weight, check out the sony Vaio's. my roommates laptop weighs like half mine does. Macs are good if your going to be doing lots of photo and video editing but not many universities have support for them. Unless your going to be doing a major the requires lots of photo and video editing, macs really aren't that useful in college.

*EM1-Master*
12-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I haven't needed any tech support :) That's the best kind of customer service right there ;)

Nader
12-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Don't get a Mac for college unless you've had experience with one in the past. What do you do if you get to writing a paper at 2 in the morning that's due at 8AM and your Mac encounters a problem and you don't know how to fix it?

Dell/PC problems are harder to fix, and more likely to happen. :tdown:

Macs can run Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc, natively....so typing a paper and such will not be a problem at all.

Macs have a more stable operating system and are easier to use, and if you do encounter a problem, are usually easy to fix. Apple also guides new Mac users and are very helpful at solving most of your problems.

Plus, if you get a Mac, I'm more than willing to help ya out if you have any problems. :D

If you just want a nice, dependable computer for music, chat, internet, etc...then I suggest a MacBook (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=MacBook). Only bad thing about the MacBook is that there is no graphics card, just the Intel Graphics accelerator, so you can't run any high end games very well.

Also, Apple has a student discount for most Colleges. :thumbup:

Moe
12-12-2006, 07:07 AM

erm...What happens when this happens to a PC?

I have a 12in iBook, and am thoroughly pleased with it. I do not know ANYTHING about computers, not PC's, not Macs, and I have never had a problem with it and have owned it for 2 years. Also, I have never had a PC last this long and still be running just like the day that I got it. And you said you wanted something small and light. Most nights I take my iBook to bed with me to cruise the web or work on papers or whatever. Plus, you don't have to worry about all the virus's that are around campus..I know, PC owners will chim in with how easy it is to prevent them, but hey...I don't have to do anything on my mac to prevent them. So yeehaw.

colonel_moo
12-12-2006, 02:18 PM
i use a mac laptop every day at school, so i know my way around it pretty well, but i still hate them. its just the little things that im used to that macs cant do, like ctrl+alt+delete, etc. i know if you have a mac you'd probabaly get used to it, but if you are used to a PC, why change?

leed
12-12-2006, 02:23 PM
I'll be honest and say that Mac's are better built as laptops then Dell's are, physically. But as long as you don't toss your computer around like a frisbee, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Another thing is you don't need a Mac. Not only are the outrageously expensive, but from what you said, you won't need anything that it is built for. I see a Macintosh as more of a computer designed for specific needs, such as videography, programming, audio editing, recording, graphics programming, etc, etc. I personally use a Macintosh for a few of these things every day of the week.
However, you really can not beat a Dell in it's price, quality, and reliability. It gives you everything you need, and maybe some more, and more people are familiar with PC's, and will be able to help you with any problems you have. I personally got my Inspiron 600m for 750, with more than enough of what I need (except space, I need more space). Of course, I bought it refurbished (which is the best deal you'll get), but it came in perfect condition. I couldn't even tell it was "used," if it was at all. I've not had any problems with it, except a few with Windows because I created too small of a partition for the operating system.

tl;dr
A PC saves money, and does what you need it to do. And, is easy and cheap to upgrade should you ever need to.
A Macintosh costs lots of money, and is usually better in the hands of a computer-geek, essentially.

xNinja-Dolphinx
12-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Ive never used a mac and I would prefer to stay with a pc. What would I want processor wise? graphics card? all that stuff

DyNasty9
12-14-2006, 02:04 PM
what are you going to college for? like your major?

xNinja-Dolphinx
12-14-2006, 02:16 PM
photography, hence photoshop.

xNinja-Dolphinx
12-16-2006, 09:47 AM
????

leed
12-16-2006, 05:08 PM
A dell will work 100% fine for photoshop. And any other programs commonly used with photography (IE: Paintshop Pro, etc). No reason to spend an extra 700 dollars on something you'll never use, IMO.