PDA

View Full Version : Guitarist's

badlandsrox
12-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok, all of you guitarist people out there, i need your opinions. I am going to take guitar lessons, and need to purchase a guitar, so my question to you, is what kind to get, i want one that will last awhile, preferably electric, and that doesnt cost a whole lot.

Yay, 300th post :)

MadMan66
12-10-2006, 05:28 AM
any fender or epiphone in your $ range is a good starter, and it'll last long. IMO

tater_salad
12-10-2006, 08:11 AM
You can get an Ibanez Iceman for $500 most anywhere and that's the best guitar I have ever had.

xtraking
12-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Do not get any ibanez with any floyd rose. You will, and i repeat, you will regret it. What is your price range?

calebh
12-10-2006, 11:24 AM
ibanez FTW. ive had a midrange ibanez since i started playing nearly 5 years ago. its a good brand. or a squier strat. virtually the same as a fender strat (same company), just without the fender name, which makes them considerably cheaper.

DFSniper
12-10-2006, 02:44 PM
try to find a cheaper Washburn or Jackson (or ESP if you have the money) personally, i dont like Fenders and ive never touched an Epiphone or Ibanez. I have a Shane/Targa (80s fender clone) that plays better than a fender and my brother has a Washburn.

badlandsrox
12-10-2006, 03:33 PM
no set price range, just w.e. is good and will last

leed
12-10-2006, 04:19 PM
My opinion is this. Pay for what you're ready for. If you think you're going to stay with guitar for a long time, then buy something thats decent to high quality, with good tone and play. If you're not quite sure, just yet, wait a little bit to see if you can decide, or, just stick with something cheap, but easy to learn on. A lot of people start to learn guitar, but then decide it's too much work, and quit, which is why I'm saying this. I would say, if you have a friend who can lend you a guitar for your first few lessons, then borrow his/her guitar to see how far you think you can go with it. Then make your decision. If not, if you have plenty of cash laying around, buy something cheap, like a Squier, or better yet, a used Fender, get some experience, and then choose what you like.

An important aspect to think about, is this. If you choose a cheap guitar such as a Squier to learn on, and you gain experience. Then you now will know what to look for in your own playing experience for your next guitar. In other words, you can choose for yourself instead of asking others. I personally started on a Austin Rock guitar, I picked it up for 130 used, and I love it, however, it's starting to die as time goes on. Now, I know what I want to look for in another guitar, something with light play, unlike my Austin, but has a Tune-o-Matic bridge, like my Austin. The best way after you have some experience, is go to the store, and if it's any good, they should let you plug in and play guitars, so you can get a real feel for it. If you like it, either buy it from the store, or go online and find the same model/make and buy it there.

Just something to think about.

Just as well, if you start on an acoustic, I personally think you can strengthen your chops more than if you start on electric. It will be tougher, yes, but you will get more out of it, IMO. Plus, cheap acoustics are generally cheaper than cheap electrics, and you don't have to pay for an Amp alongside the guitar.

DFSniper
12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
no set price range, just w.e. is good and will last

in that case, ESP!! my friend has an Alexi-600 (the $1000 version, not the $3000) and he cant play anything else now because they just feel so cheaply made.

xtraking
12-11-2006, 01:33 PM
no. Get an epiphone les paul standard. You will not regret it.
CAUTION- When buying an ibanez... im repeating myself... DO NOT GET A FLOYD ROSE TREMELO.

And dont get squier.

colonel_moo
12-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Ibanez makes great guitars. my fender is alright, but i donno if id recommend it.

tater_salad
12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I would still go with Ibanez because my Iceman rocks and Epiphone I have an Epiphone Thunderbird bass and it sounds great.

fxdbi
12-13-2006, 12:45 PM
find you a 90s model rg series, with or without a floyd rose and you will be very happy. I have had my rg550 going on 13 years now without a bit of trouble other than the 5-way going out on it. The newer RGs do not impress me, nor do the new wizard 2 necks and new temolos.

shunut
12-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Ibanez's are great starters. I'm getting one for Christmas and am going to start lessons too. I talked to the owner of the music store my sister goes to and for a starter he highly recommended Ibanez. I also talked to my cousin, who owns almost 100 guitars and tried out for the Red Hot Chili Peppers (almost made it too, made it to last audition and it was between him and 1 other person), he said that for a starter Ibanez guitars are pretty good.

newkid
12-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Gibson SG, if you have $1,400, and if you dont, my friend has an Ibanez and likes it pretty well