PDA

View Full Version : Racism abounds still

Sandman_Bravo
12-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Deleted by author, a link to a youtube c-span clip. probably too controversial.

marvin-martian
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
was it that crazy vegan black guy who called for the death of all white people?

TheRedBarron
12-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Deleted by author, a link to a youtube c-span clip. probably too controversial.
Thank you. I was about to do it for you. Go ahead and discuss racism if you guys wish. keep in civil though.

timmyshoota
12-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I hate Matt, but white on white hate isn't racism.

calebh
12-09-2006, 06:40 PM
i hate white people. but i am white, so i guess that's not racism either. too many of them are stupid. but realizing there are exceptions really makes it not racism either. and since theres stupid black ppl and asians and native american, i guess its just stupidism...

druid
12-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I hate everyone because...I can :devil:

leed
12-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I honestly don't think it's a big problem of racism, though there certainly are racist people around, but it's more of an American thing, at least in my experience.

However, I do think that there are a lot of race-specific people who are overly sensitive to what people say, even if it's the slightest bit off, even if it's a complete misunderstanding, those people remain unforgiving and as picky as possible and will call a hate crime on you. Unfortunately, I've been in this situation with African-Americans at my school, despite the fact that several of my idols are African-American, and a couple of my close friends are african-american. However, I do not understand why people force themselves to take everything as racism. There are a lot of groups of people where it's their own fault that people don't like them, and it just happens to be a certain race, so it's taken as racism.
I will be honest here, there are many african-americans in my school that I despise simply because they waste their very proper rich parents money, just so they can be all "gangster" and cool and the like. But much the same, there are a lot of white people in my school that I despise for the same reason. But if I were to say this to anyone in my school, they would call me a racist person, despite the fact that I am discriminated the most out of all in my school (I'm Chinese, I get called chink, chigger, fob, etc, etc). There are also some asians in my school that I think are idiots, and shouldn't be in are school, and are wasting their parents money.
All in all, I'm saying, America's environment is responsible for the sensitivity of all races, including the dominantly white race.

Sandman_Bravo
12-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Kamau Kambon's public announcement on c-span, posted at you tube was the link. I deleted it because I didn't want to start a whole tyrade about racism. I simply feel people like him are dangerous (just like leaders in the white supremist movement) and should be recognized. Zealots don't gain power overnight, but slowly as the masses are "asleep".

xtraking
12-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Kamau Kambon is an idiot and nothing but bad can happen from actions of him and his followers.

DFSniper
12-10-2006, 02:52 PM
ive brought this up at school with a few ppl, and most of em agree with me (no matter what race they were):

If i cant say "that black guy" without you getting pissed off, I dont want to hear the words "white boy" from you ever again!

JMotioN
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
First of all i live in Georgia (AKA DIRTY SOUTH) so yes there is a ton of black people and none of this is to be meant as racist.

Well i was sitting in math class second period on friday, it was about 3/4 through the period. I have this black kid that sits next to me who beats, sits sideways and puts his feet on the wall, and comments on everything no matter what for some reason. Well he was sitting sideways with his feet all propped up during the lesson. Well im drawing pictures of my paint ball gun when all the sudden i hear a spitting sound. At about the same time i feel about 5 drops of something hit me. I think no way he just spit on me, and sure enough i due a check and it felt like spit. So i wait a lil bit and then ask him (this happens to be the first phrase ive ever said to him) commonly "why the **heck** did you just spit on me?". Well his response is "shutup boy no body like you anyways". At that point i just looked straight ahead and waited til the period ends. I talked to the teacher and even told her i said **heck** (no not heck) and said shed talk to him about it. My mom said if we lawyered up we could sue him and the school if they do not do anything about (not planning on it).

On another note, i do not hate all black ppl, but some of them id would live a much happier life without. i go to a bus stop with 6 black kids and the white kid and i think they are fine, only thing i cant stand is BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!!!! ppl who do not not know them really i think are racist, but they dont know anything.

DFSniper
12-11-2006, 10:10 AM
yeah, and the whole stereotypical "black guy" is because of stupid **heck**s (im assuming thats the term you used) like that that think life is like all the rap songs they listen to. hell, you dont see me runnin around worshiping the devil and *stuff* just because i heard it on a few songs.

TheRedBarron
12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
The actions of one or 2, hell even the actions of the majority cannot be held against the whole group.

As far as black history month. I think it is good (no not because I am black) but because thousands of people suffered for years under slavery, and then under segregation, a select few people rose to the occasions and they stepped up at a risk of their own life and their own dignity to fight peacefully against "the man". And the fact that these people won their battles (even if after years and years) makes them deserve our recognition.

This is just IMO, and because I am black do not feel like you cannot argue against what I am saying, I am not a fan of people holding their tongues just because of my race. If you have somthing to say, say it.

Moe
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
You're black????
I kid, I kid.

I agree that black history month is just fine. They did suffer, so they deserve something. After all, they were brought to the americas for the sole purpouse of serving whites. But, I think that some take it to far, feeling that just because their grandparents suffered, they are now somehow invisible, and can do whatever they want.

bigred76
12-11-2006, 10:44 AM
He's black, don't respond to him. :dodgy:

IMO... if there's a Black History Month, there should be a Spanish, French, Caucasian, and Asian History Months as well. It's not PC in my mind to have it for just ONE race when there are so many out there.

The only thing I don't like about African Americans (I don't like being called white, idk about them being called black... I aint just a color, ya know), is the stereotypical "gangsta." It bugs the hell outa me when one of them walks up to me and says: "What up, *****?!" If I can't say that word, what clears them for use of it? ****, I don't give a ****, but don't be hipocritical and disrespect me.

JMotioN
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
i dont think id have such an issue with it if the NAACP and other organizations (o my favorite is the one on a test we took: If you are a black male would you like to sign up for the something something something black college fund). i feel ike its just another way they try to get ppl to feel bad about it. and another is like whenever something is for white or our heritage is like OMG racism, yeah you did suffer but white people have suffered too. and its not like its still poppin today

btw today she made him apoligize and moved me away, i think she thinks im racist bc i complained about these other two kids who would not stop "you shutup!, no you shutup!, no you shutup!" game :confused:

08Lud08
12-11-2006, 01:39 PM
First of all i live in Georgia (AKA DIRTY SOUTH) so yes there is a ton of black people and none of this is to be meant as racist.

Well i was sitting in math class second period on friday, it was about 3/4 through the period. I have this black kid that sits next to me who beats, sits sideways and puts his feet on the wall, and comments on everything no matter what for some reason. Well he was sitting sideways with his feet all propped up during the lesson. Well im drawing pictures of my paint ball gun when all the sudden i hear a spitting sound. At about the same time i feel about 5 drops of something hit me. I think no way he just spit on me, and sure enough i due a check and it felt like spit. So i wait a lil bit and then ask him (this happens to be the first phrase ive ever said to him) commonly "why the **heck** did you just spit on me?". Well his response is "shutup boy no body like you anyways". At that point i just looked straight ahead and waited til the period ends. I talked to the teacher and even told her i said **heck** (no not heck) and said shed talk to him about it. My mom said if we lawyered up we could sue him and the school if they do not do anything about (not planning on it).

On another note, i do not hate all black ppl, but some of them id would live a much happier life without. i go to a bus stop with 6 black kids and the white kid and i think they are fine, only thing i cant stand is BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!!!! ppl who do not not know them really i think are racist, but they dont know anything.

I know what your talking about. I live in Miami which is way worse. (I'm hatian and Puerto Rican) In school most of the black kids are straight up rude and mess with everyone, they're loud and rude, run through the halls screaming and stuff like that. they don't know how to act in public. Its almost the same with the Spanish kids. they are rude and they talk **** behind your back right next to you speaking in Spanish and think you cant understand them. I'm dark so people may think I'm black but I don't act like them so it doesn't matter about race. Its usually generalized that black people are rude and obnoxious but its usually true. To me, if someone makes a racist remark to me I don't take it personally because I don't care. down here I wouldn't care as much beacause there is almost every type of people down here and you would probably end up making fun of your own race.

durrell
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I see nothing wrong with Black History Month. I think it's good to learn about other people's cultures, which is why for just about any college degree you choose, you're going to have to take a humanities course. I've chosen to take more than one.

The only problem I have with some black people (this came to my attention in my humanities course) is that some of them have a "my ancestors were enslaved by your ancestors so you owe me something" attitude. I do not hate black people, I have many black friends..in fact I spent the night with 2 of my best friends and my one best black friend this past weekend. But there are a few people out there that believe they have to be called "African-American" or they get offended because they're "from Africa." Well whoopty freaking do, my family originated in Scotland..do I request to be called Scottish American? Neg. It's just a way for them to get attention. The best way to deal with those kinds is to ignore them and realize that they're just as hypocritical and racist as the people they're crying about. :up:

JMotioN
12-11-2006, 02:01 PM
lud def knows what im talking about (yelling down the hallways!!!!!!09! 08! 09 08! GRRRRRRRRR )

and durrell i still think black history month is silly

DFSniper
12-11-2006, 02:45 PM
He's black, don't respond to him. :dodgy:

IMO... if there's a Black History Month, there should be a Spanish, French, Caucasian, and Asian History Months as well. It's not PC in my mind to have it for just ONE race when there are so many out there.

:applause: my thoughts exactly!

and as for that scholarship thing, IMO thats BS, and so is that minimum requirement bullcrap. equal rights means just that: EQUAL. hell, in NY, women can legally walk around topless cuz guys can (i got bored and looked up strange laws). what would really make me mad would be if i didnt get into a college because they needed to fit a quota and accepted a minority with lower SAT scores than me... its sad that some people dont know their constitution, i do and i'm NOT EVEN an American (yet...)

pbfreak3221
12-11-2006, 03:05 PM
I did not get a chance to get to see the video but I have noticed racism in my school lately. Though it may not be what you think. The main group I see discriminated agaisnt is asians. With our current pop culture, I have noticed a very good change in discrimination, however I have noticed the discrimination for asians.

Ace24
12-11-2006, 03:19 PM
The actions of one or 2, hell even the actions of the majority cannot be held against the whole group.

As far as black history month. I think it is good (no not because I am black) but because thousands of people suffered for years under slavery, and then under segregation, a select few people rose to the occasions and they stepped up at a risk of their own life and their own dignity to fight peacefully against "the man". And the fact that these people won their battles (even if after years and years) makes them deserve our recognition.

This is just IMO, and because I am black do not feel like you cannot argue against what I am saying, I am not a fan of people holding their tongues just because of my race. If you have somthing to say, say it.

I just hate how some of the lower class blacks use it as an excuse to get out of doing stuff. I quote "My people suffered for a long time so I can do what ever the hell I want." That was said to a white teacher in my school when he told a student to stop using his cell phone and "rapping" in class.

The thing that pisses me off is the fact that the Irish (for example) went through alot too. For example the shipping dwarfs of NY. The Irish immorgrants were employed to lift the heavy crates with pullies and move them from ship to ship. Now when stuff happened to them, it didnt matter, because they werent property (unlike slaves) and you werent losing anything. You were actually gaining because you didnt have to pay another worker that you just lost in a crate falling accident. The Irish were forced to do that work for little or no pay and were killed in the job, yet you dont see us (I'm part Irish...) walking around thinking we have rights to stuff because of what our ancestors went though.

I think it has alot to do with TV though. They get the ideas that they can say that stuff in schools and in public from a rapper or a black icon that they idolise and they start doing it too.

I have nothing against any race, and I feel sad to hear people putting down other races with their immaturity and non-understanding of other cultures.

Those that single out a race because of what they have heard on TV and the radio, need to be informed otherwise.

I hate going to inner city schools :( But no one ever has a problem with me. I think its partially because I show no hate twards anyone.

08Lud08
12-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I just hate how some of the lower class blacks use it as an excuse to get out of doing stuff. I quote "My people suffered for a long time so I can do what ever the hell I want." That was said to a white teacher in my school when he told a student to stop using his cell phone and "rapping" in class.

I think it has alot to do with TV though. They get the ideas that they can say that stuff in schools and in public from a rapper or a black icon that they idolise and they start doing it too.

Those that single out a race because of what they have heard on TV and the radio, need to be informed otherwise.

I hate going to inner city schools :( But no one ever has a problem with me. I think its partially because I show no hate towards anyone.
Thats what I'm trying to say. there are those black people that think they can do whatever they want and they think they are like stars or something. also they have no plans they just stay acting crazy all year and then after high school they just hang out trying to mess with people on the sidewalks and **** like that. why even bother wasting peoples time in school messing with people if your not gonna do ****.

Theheroguy
12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
:applause: my thoughts exactly!

and as for that scholarship thing, IMO thats BS, and so is that minimum requirement bullcrap. equal rights means just that: EQUAL. hell, in NY, women can legally walk around topless cuz guys can (i got bored and looked up strange laws). what would really make me mad would be if i didnt get into a college because they needed to fit a quota and accepted a minority with lower SAT scores than me... its sad that some people dont know their constitution, i do and i'm NOT EVEN an American (yet...)

Dude thats called affirmative action and if two things happened we wouldn't need it.

#1 no more racism passive/active I had so many "friends" take another person side over mine when the only factor that could be deciding is race. Think about this if you and a black guy apply for a non labor job and a white owner picks youover him what is likely hood youwouldn't even think about race and be somewhat surprised/upset hardly any of my white or asain friends could say they wouldn't be completly impartial.

#2 The school systems of minority groups were fixed. Many minority kids won't score as high as you because they are from a culture that the test is not designed for and they are trapped in poor school systems. Just look at the baltimore county school system it is horrible. If no one fixes that to give them a fair shot shouldn't they get a boost somewhere else.

Schools and work places also need diversity and that is most people agree with me is more important than having the "smartest" person on campus. You need to realize that minorities don'tget the same advantages and even with affirmitive action there isn't total equal rights

I hate the stereotypic "blackperson" gangsta look and attitude I fight it and people who mock me for not following it and other black stereotypes everyday.
edit: also it's a law that race can only be one of many deciding factors for admiting students
bye ya
:pwnd:

xsgmike66x
12-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Personally, I think that rasism is stupid. Altho I do belive that afican american people are discriminated on, but so are everyother race by another race. Racist jokes are said left and right and about every race. I don't have a problem with any race. The only thing I can say is that I dislike the attitude of many black students in my school, where they run around adn think they can do what ever they want. Also another thing I notice, is if your driving and a group of arfican american kids are walking down the block and you let them cross teh street they will take for every and dont show any comon curtecy to hurry up. Also another thing is if they just walk in front of your car and go slow becuase they just dont care. Now im not implying that this is everywhere and something that every black person does, im just sayin in my neighborhood this is what it is.

Halucin8
12-11-2006, 04:58 PM
#2 The school systems of minority groups were fixed. Many minority kids won't score as high as you because they are from a culture that the test is not designed for and they are trapped in poor school systems. Just look at the baltimore county school system it is horrible. If no one fixes that to give them a fair shot shouldn't they get a boost somewhere else.

This statement concerns me. I come from an inner city school in chicago. I am white. I had the same system as the blacks in my school(which were the majority) Yet i never used that for a reason to get special bonus points anywhere. My family comes from scotland the slaves there were called serfs all of them white. every race can have the same excuses to excel or just sit around and wait for somethign given to them. I am not that type of person. I joined the marine corps. Made my life my own. I no longer have anythign in common with the people i grew up with. They stayed there in chicago and did thier thing. Some are successful and others aren't. But until my dying day i will stand up and be judged equally for who I am not the color of my skin. I know alot of blacks that I look up to and alot of whites i look down on. Any man that tells me i can't stand on my own merits then to hell with them. i don't want to waste my time on them. sorry for the rant but that is how i feel

TheRedBarron
12-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Being the only black person in the state of Maine (exaggeration) I have seen my fair share of racism. I have been spit on, threatened, and taken to court over racist comments, I nearly lost my job...

The thing about racism is that one can say they do not care either way, but when they are face to face with it, racism tends to peak out. Why? not sure, many people in the north still feel that black people are not on the same mental capacity as them, it is something that one learns to roll of their shoulders and forget about.

I am not racist in anyway that I can think of. I may kid around with racial stereotypes etc. but that is only with close friends who are also understanding. (<3 Chubbo Tim Chris Doc and leed) I feel that overall we are too concerned with the subject of race. If you see some kid acting gangsta and you come online saying "that black/white/asian/mexican/alien kid was acting so gangsta it got on my nerves" you are being racist. I have seen my fair share of "gangsta posers" black, white, yellow etc. why does the color of the persons skin count at all? what you should say is... "that kid was acting so gangsta it got on my nerves" I do not see a reason why the color of his skin makes a difference either way. So saying you do not beleive in racism then using a color to describe the person that was being racist is in all actuality being racist yourself.

And to what Tim said about not liking being called white. Personally I prefer black over African American, only because generally when someone calls me an African American they are making a conscious effort to not offend me, as if they are scared to talk normally around me, and that is not something I take a liking to, if you cannot talk to me like a normal person dont talk to me at all.

But I agree, I do not like color terms at all, being called white is just as racist as any other, (I get called white all the time :dodgy: but that is different) however as a society we feel the need to classify people, and one way to do this is color, it makes it easier to describe, but refer to my other argument about using color to describe someone and your answer should be there.

JMotioN
12-11-2006, 06:18 PM
somebody mentioned Asian racism( do you mean they are all smart, bc i know a lot of them are drug addicts too )? i guess i live down here so there is very little racism outside of blacks or something just shocked me.

vwjimmy
12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Man, I hate to even post in this thread but I can't stop myself. Conversations like this very thread continue racism even if they are of good intent. "African" American offends me because it infers that "American" is not a good enough description....does that make me an "Northern European" American ? It is quite possible that Matts' family has been in North America far longer than mine but I don't get and 'special' prefix when one is describing me....
America is the great "Melting Pot" and that means if your are an "American", you are one...period. We are way past the need to point out the differences in us all...it is the 21 century! I wonder if an English guy of African decent is called a "African" Englishman? We all perpetuate this.
Five employees in my shop are standing together. All five are wearing the same uniform. All five are in there thirties. All five are about six foot tall. Two are of European decent, one is of Asian decent, one is of Mexican decent and one is of Africian decent.
How easy is it to say, "Go see the asian guy" or "Go see the black guy"? It is quicker than saying, "Go see Jerome, the third guy from the right". This is the beginnings of the kind of racism that ends in regression to the ways of the past.
People have to want to send people to the third guy on the right. It takes just as long to learn one way from the other. We cannot control anyone else, how they view themselves or others, or how they act and what they say.
So get it right yourself, for yourself. If enough people do that...threads like this will not ever pop up again.
My .02

timmyshoota
12-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Matt is my Negro and I'm his Cracker. Thats all I gots to say.

<3

I don't think racism will end until this country is almost entirely one race. But don't worry folks, I'm doing my part in trying to make one race. ;)

Sorry, this thread got way too serious and looked like it was gonna turn into cross burnings and lynchings. Thought I'd throw a little humor in to lighten the mood.

TheRedBarron
12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Man, I hate to even post in this thread but I can't stop myself. Conversations like this very thread continue racism even if they are of good intent. "African" American offends me because it infers that "American" is not a good enough description....does that make me an "Northern European" American ? It is quite possible that Matts' family has been in North America far longer than mine but I don't get and 'special' prefix when one is describing me....
America is the great "Melting Pot" and that means if your are an "American", you are one...period. We are way past the need to point out the differences in us all...it is the 21 century! I wonder if an English guy of African decent is called a "African" Englishman? We all perpetuate this.
Five employees in my shop are standing together. All five are wearing the same uniform. All five are in there thirties. All five are about six foot tall. Two are of European decent, one is of Asian decent, one is of Mexican decent and one is of Africian decent.
How easy is it to say, "Go see the asian guy" or "Go see the black guy"? It is quicker than saying, "Go see Jerome, the third guy from the right". This is the beginnings of the kind of racism that ends in regression to the ways of the past.
People have to want to send people to the third guy on the right. It takes just as long to learn one way from the other. We cannot control anyone else, how they view themselves or others, or how they act and what they say.
So get it right yourself, for yourself. If enough people do that...threads like this will not ever pop up again.
My .02

I agree whole heartedly.

And Chris... go tanning there is a glare coming off from you.

timmyshoota
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
My .02
We have two male Service Writers at work. When customers say they spoke to a guy, I ask "Did he sound black or white?" Since they sound very different and anyone could figure out who is who by their sound it makes sense. Not once has someone gave me a weird look for saying it.

vwjimmy
12-11-2006, 06:42 PM
We have two male Service Writers at work. When customers say they spoke to a guy, I ask "Did he sound black or white?" Since they sound very different and anyone could figure out who is who by their sound it makes sense. Not once has someone gave me a weird look for saying it.

That is the whole point.....nobody gives it a thought because they think it is OK.....it isen't.

leed
12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't know if I think Black History Month is a good idea, or if it's not. I wouldn't be one to decide.
However, I do believe that people treat this month as a time where no one can pick on them, and they can't pick on anyone. As a time where I, personally, have to afraid of every little thing I may say, and how it may be taken. What pisses me off the most, is if I say something, the way rumors get around, is completely and utterly idiotic. In this case last year, people accused me of saying certain things. However, other people who know me in the least, knew that it is something that I would never say. Yet, they, the accusers, insist on getting everyone to believe that I said something. It was even IN TEXT, so some ----tard didn't even read the damned thing, supposed that I was speaking some alien language, and then had the ability to translate what I said into something different. I had to go and talk to so many people about it and explain it all and the situation.
Once again, I'm Chinese, and I've been subject to targeting all my life, in public or private places, and yet, some how I've become the targeter. To be honest, this has just lowered my views of several african american students in my school, simply because they could be so blatantly idiotic. However, I still remain to have close ties with some good friends of mine that are African American, and know, of all people, that I am not racist.

As I said before, what annoys me the most, is the sensitivity to things. I could make a grammatical error and be called a racist. I mean, I don't do it, people do it to themselves, I do it to myself sometimes, but I'm usually joking, and I make it clear that I don't think are actually hating on me because I'm Asian.

Okay, I'm done for tonight. I'm just tired of it. I hate America sometimes.

timmyshoota
12-11-2006, 07:07 PM
That is the whole point.....nobody gives it a thought because they think it is OK.....it isen't.
I don't see whats not okay with it...I've never in my life seen someone get offended because when helping someone find a person by describing them. If I'm sending someone to see someone I'll say their name, but then give a little description like "He's the white guy with the beard in Parts." There's only one white guy with a beard in parts, so people will immediately know who they are looking for when they see em. We used to have two black cashiers(well, one black, one half black/half white), and when I'd send people in there I'd say lighter skinned or darkered skinned. If people would quit being so damn offended by what they are, there wouldn't be a problem. I'm described as "the white guy." Do I get offended? No, because I'm damn pale. I can't help it, I was kinda born this way.

Theheroguy
12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
i never said there aren't poor white people in bad school systems they should get affirmitve action also

leed
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh, I wanted to throw this in.

:up::up: for keeping this in control. I personally appreciate it, as I find myself in need of expressing my thoughts on racism and social sensitivity.

TheRedBarron
12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I too would like to thank you guys for being civil.

durrell
12-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Dude thats called affirmative action and if two things happened we wouldn't need it.

#1 no more racism passive/active I had so many "friends" take another person side over mine when the only factor that could be deciding is race. Think about this if you and a black guy apply for a non labor job and a white owner picks youover him what is likely hood youwouldn't even think about race and be somewhat surprised/upset hardly any of my white or asain friends could say they wouldn't be completly impartial.

:confused:

This statement I do not understand. For example, all children who speak Spanish as their primary language are forced to take special ESL (English as a Second Language) classes all through school until they are fluent in English and Spanish. All "standardized" tests are created in a format that is "standard", meaning that ALL races and kids are able to take and comprehend them. If the kid is unable to comprehend them, they can have special tools or even a translator to help them. And how do you figure they're in poor school systems? Most schools are mixed fairly well as far as the different nationalities go, I know my high school was 60/40 white to black with a few Hispanics and Asians thrown in there. That kind of statement is a contributor to racism, it's insinuating that white people have it easier than all the minorities when public education is doing everything within its power to try and accommodate the massive influx of immigrants that come at all times.

edit: also it's a law that race can only be one of many deciding factors for admiting students

Yeah, you're right. There are numerous minority scholarships and many colleges and universites have adopted an admissions policy that requires them to have a certain number of minority students entering every year.

calebh
12-11-2006, 08:15 PM
im afraid i have to disagree with jimmy. to do something like that would only make the difference in race more obvious, unless you intend to do the same with hair color, hair length, eye color, clothing, height, weight, shoe size, nose size, eyebrow length, hand size, ring size, fingernail length, eyesight, facial shape, etc. and to do that would defeat individualism. imo, race should be treated just the same as any other way to differentiate between ppl. just because someone is prejudiced because of race does not mean any reference to it is bad.

TheRedBarron
12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
This thread is going good, the 1st person to screw it up with will get a short vaca...

*EM1-Master*
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
I live in an area that's 90% white and there's great unity between the blacks and whites here.... I go to a school that's 90%+ black, and we're still all cool. We toss around racial slurs all the time, but we're all still friends. It's really cool, I think. Everyone thinks of Georgia as a bunch of racist fuddamuggas, but I live right in ATL and there's great unity between whites, blacks, asians, and mexicans most places you go. The point of what I'm saying? I'm not sure... 41 hours awake right now... But it's still cool how things are...

TheRedBarron
12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I live in an area that's 90% white and there's great unity between the blacks and whites here.... I go to a school that's 90%+ black, and we're still all cool. We toss around racial slurs all the time, but we're all still friends. It's really cool, I think. Everyone thinks of Georgia as a bunch of racist fuddamuggas, but I live right in ATL and there's great unity between whites, blacks, asians, and mexicans most places you go. The point of what I'm saying? I'm not sure... 41 hours awake right now... But it's still cool how things are...
And if you are ever around me, and my friends that is the way it is. I also think it is great, but in a way without it we are better off, but knowing that it is a part of life if we enjoy it instead of consider it bad then we are much better off.

Theheroguy
12-12-2006, 03:30 AM
i think everyone should be friends

no matter where you are different race or not

luciusad2004
12-12-2006, 05:18 AM

How are the school systems fixed. Yes they might suck. But I dont see how you can say someone's culture holds them back on a test. They are American and if they have grown up in America then they would have been exposed to the same things as every other kid in America. I mean what do we have to do to make tests fair? Start putting them in freaking Ebonics? That would be ridiculous. I can see how someone might come from a bad school but if someone lives in America then they know American culture, and there is no reason to change the testing process so that they can get a boost.

Don't get me wrong. Im not a racist, i just think that everyone should have to work for what they want and no one should be given a boost, no matter what their "culture". Its like saying we should lower the scores of children who got the oppurtunity to go to private school.

On the matter of black history month (if its still being discussed i didn't fully read the thread) I think its a wonderful thing. No matter what people might say, has any race really sufferd as much as the blacks? Sure, alot of other races might have been discriminated against, but they weren't brought to America to be bought and sold, treated like property and abused. No other race has had to over come as much (the only exception i can think of right now might be the Native Americans) as the blacks. Through the will power and determination of a few great people they have come from property to citizens with all the rights of any other man. I can not think of many other races who have come that far in America. As o said above though, I do think the Native Americans deserve some sort of recognition. After all we DID steal their country and kill them in mass.

After all that, I must say however, i do not like when people play the race card. If you want to be equal be equal, don't use your race as a crutch. Don't use it as an excuse to waste away and hold yourself back. You might have to work harder than all the "white boys", but i think thats the best way to overcome racism. Show your teachers, your prospective employers, college administrators, what you are capable of. Work hard and show the world your value. Just because your black doesnt mean you have to be a rapper, just because your asian doesnt mean you have to do nails, or serve up plates of chicken and broccoli. Using your race as a crutch only promotes that bigoted view your trying to escape. The best way to change that is to show the world what you really are.

TheRedBarron
12-12-2006, 07:16 AM
I came from a bad skool... and look at me.;)

Joking aside...

I really did come from a horrible school system, but the thing is, I wanted to get out of that area, so I did everything in my power to get out, even if it meant teaching myself hte material straight from the book. The teachers used standard tests for the courses (they didnt make them up the book company did) so they would stand up there and teach for 10 minutes and then the class would take over. What I did was get from the teacher the days that there were tests and quizes and only show on those days, in the meantime I would be teaching myself the material. It got me where I am today, so you cannot say that because the school system is not good that students cannot excel because a student with enough drive can excel in any enviroment that you put them in.

DFSniper
12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
How are the school systems fixed. Yes they might suck. But I dont see how you can say someone's culture holds them back on a test. They are American and if they have grown up in America then they would have been exposed to the same things as every other kid in America. I mean what do we have to do to make tests fair? Start putting them in freaking Ebonics? That would be ridiculous. I can see how someone might come from a bad school but if someone lives in America then they know American culture, and there is no reason to change the testing process so that they can get a boost.

thank you. hell, i lived in germany til i was 5 and i had to learn english as a second language (at home with my step-dad and mom). i LEARNED from Hooked on Phonics before i even entered kindergarten. and now, i have a 3.8 GPA average overall, and a 4.14 for my senior year. i'm a military brat, so ive been to good schools and bad schools. your education doesnt matter where you grow up, what matters is what you do with your life. you can get an education and get a good job, or you can blow it off and do drugs, cause trouble, or just be plain lazy!

reading from that post reminded me of a standardized test post someone (i think D) made. it was about a math problem and how it changed over the years.

i'm done for now, gotta do another scholarship essay...