PDA

View Full Version : poopy computer

jcrazyjj
01-14-2006, 03:51 PM
ok, idk whats wrong w/ this POS!! ill be doing the usual stuff, AIM, FireFox, WMP. and itll just black out, go to the blue screen of death and it says something like "beginning to dump physical memory" then begins counting from 0 to 100, and on 100 it shuts down then restarts. On restart i get an error window then its works fine. it seems pretty random to, like sometimes itll go like 1wk w/o happening other times itll do it like 3/day. idk what to do other than refomat the HD, but i dont wanna lose all my music, pics, vids, and ****. help please!!

claustrophobia9
01-14-2006, 03:57 PM
my brother has it happen on his laptop, no1 has any idea what the problem is, my dad works for a computer company and he has no idea either. id consider it unfixable cuz weve wiped his computer and it still does it.

jcrazyjj
01-14-2006, 03:59 PM
god i hope that was ur idea of a sick and twisted joke!!!

colonel_moo
01-14-2006, 07:16 PM
sounds like your RAM is bad. try to get some kind of ram test. i have a memory test on my computer that i can run at the boot menu, but that came with linux, so i donno what you can do for windows. be forwarned that a good memory test will take a couple days to complete, so expect to have the computer tied up for a while.

try to get something that you can use strait from the boot menu, because its no good if you need to actually use the memory to run the OS, while trying to test it.

claustrophobia9
01-14-2006, 07:43 PM
god i hope that was ur idea of a sick and twisted joke!!!
no. it really does that, and we really have no idea. he just deals with it. sorta sucks when he has to write a paper tho... and i know how to test ram if you have windows xp and an hp computer. start>all programs>hp tools>pc doctor

kif
01-14-2006, 07:51 PM
sounds like your RAM is bad. try to get some kind of ram test. i have a memory test on my computer that i can run at the boot menu, but that came with linux, so i donno what you can do for windows. be forwarned that a good memory test will take a couple days to complete, so expect to have the computer tied up for a while.

try to get something that you can use strait from the boot menu, because its no good if you need to actually use the memory to run the OS, while trying to test it.
I use a utility called MemTest86.

claustrophobia9
01-14-2006, 07:58 PM
be forwarned that a good memory test will take a couple days to complete, so expect to have the computer tied up for a while. if it shuts down randomly that may not be an option...

colonel_moo
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
no claus, the memtest shouldnt be running in windows, it boots into it.

kif, i think memtest86 is what im using too.

claustrophobia9
01-14-2006, 08:01 PM
no claus, the memtest shouldnt be running in windows, it boots into it.

kif, i think memtest86 is what im using too.if its the same thing my brother has itll do it regardless.

colonel_moo
01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
well if it does still do it, you could always get a cheap stick of ram, like 64 megs and see if it still crashes.

claustrophobia9
01-14-2006, 08:12 PM
ya. crazy, if you dont mind me asking. what kind of computer and what os are you running?

bamf-hacker
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
what you can do to test you ram easly is turn off all virtual memory and make the pc use only ram.

PM me if you need to know how.

HacKeR

colonel_moo
01-14-2006, 08:36 PM
yeah but hacker, bad ram doesnt necessarily mean that it doesnt work at all.

bamf-hacker
01-14-2006, 08:41 PM
no, but if you only use your ram, and not any virtual memory, then all read/write cycles need to go to ram. Which means if there is a bad block on one of the ram cards then the pc will crash... A LOT!!

If it does not and all you get are the virtual memory pop ups then you are looking at other issues.

HacKeR

jcrazyjj
01-15-2006, 09:14 AM
its a dell dimension 4300s, im using XP,