PDA

View Full Version : Movin' on out.

Nader
12-09-2006, 01:09 AM
So...I recently finished moving out of my parents house, and I'm loving it.

It's a great situation, three guys in a house with each our own separate room. Rent is $250 a month including utilities. Only extra payment is Cable/Internet which is about $20 bucks per person.

I didn't get kicked out, I was just forced to move. My parents are moving to Florida and I don't want to go. College/Friends are all here, and it's about time I moved out, as I am 19 years old. Me and my parents are on great terms, and free dinner is scheduled for every Sunday until they move in Jan.: :cool:

So, those of you who have moved out on your own (even you old farts), how was your experience? Hard feelings towards the padres? How old were ya? Stories about weird/dumbass roomates are appreciated too. :D

vikingshadow
12-09-2006, 04:59 AM
I was 18 when I moved out. Actually, when I went to college for the first time - my mom took me and helped me move into the dorm and it was all cool, but when it was time for her to leave, she couldn't hold back anymore and got the teary-eyed look. Of course, being a "tough" incoming freshman, it was really hard to hold back and I teared up a little, then of course, she let go and started crying - man, was that hard! Anyway, after that I lived in the dorm for two years, and stayed at a friends in the summer while I worked.

Then I moved out of the dorms and paid a whopping 150.00 a month rent with two other guys plus the water bill - my 'rents got mad because the total rent for the place was 450.00 (3 bedroom, two bath, converted garage into a living room with fireplace, weight room and privacy fenced house in a great neighborhood - but that was HIGH rent back in 1987...)

No problem with the parents - it was just time for me to leave. It was great, but hard. That was tough because all of a sudden, I had BILLS. I'd been working for the school in a work/study program, but 3.00 an hour (minimum wage at the time) 15 hours a week wasn't cutting it (yeah, 3 bucks - and I laugh when kids they won't work for less than 10 bucks an hour for a STARTING position...and no, to answer your upcoming statement on the cost of living, things don't cost anymore than they did back then, at least around here. But I digress....)

Only problem I had was AFTER I graduated - I moved to my parents because I hadn't found a job yet, and my dad came in to me and said I was welcome, but I had two months to find a job and get out....that kind of made me mad - made my mom mad also! But, I found a job two weeks later and moved out, and the rest is history.

Guess my "moving out" story isn't that interesting....sorry!

albertjackson99
12-09-2006, 06:06 AM
I was also 18 when I moved out...Joined the Air Force. I was ready to go and my parents were ready to let me go. I wasn't forced out or anything, but I was ready to begin my adult life...

spyderpaintball
12-09-2006, 06:43 AM
I guess you could say I kinda moved out. I go to college but I will be going home for summers due to internships and hatred of Ohio.

DFSniper
12-09-2006, 07:28 AM
honestly i dont wanna move out... these are my plans for now (hopefully):

go to Ft. Knox/Louisville with my parents, take a semester of college while my dad does his Captain school.

depending on where they go:
~ move with them and finish college (either online or finish CC first)

~ move to Colorado and finish college there/settle down

Moe
12-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I went off to college this year. About 2.5 hours away. So I guess it is kind of like moving out. I am the youngest of 3, so my parents were used to it I suppose, but then again I was the last one out, so I think they were kind of bummed. Whenever I talk to them they want me to come back home. haha. It is kind of funny and cute I suppose. We get along pretty dang well. I don't know what I am going to do next year. I do miss my home a lot, and I would be able to live in the loft above the garage, which is all finished and badass, and private.

timmyshoota
12-09-2006, 08:41 AM
If I could find a place for $250 here I'd move out. Cheapest here is like $400 plus utilities for an apartment. :dodgy:

TheRedBarron
12-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I was 14 when I moved out. havent talked to my parents since.

*EM1-Master*
12-09-2006, 10:02 AM
I killed my parents at the age of 11 and have been living on my own since.

marvin-martian
12-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I killed my parents at the age of 11 and have been living on my own since.
haha:rolleyes:

Hoppy11
12-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I moved out and hate it but its just beacuse the people Im living with suck.. I didn't get to pick who i lived with but still.. perks of college. Parents are fine with it obviously because its for college and they know I will be coming home over the summer, what they don't know is the only reason Im coming home is to ski and work at the golf course so I can play for free! :devil:

calebh
12-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Stories about weird/dumbass roomates are appreciated too. :D

lol why? do you have some?

Nader
12-10-2006, 02:37 AM
yeah, one guy is never here because his gf is an RA at the college near here. When he does stay here, he leaves his crap everywhere and never does his dishes. Whats funny is that we can eat ANYthing he leaves here and he never realizes it, and I don't think he'd care.

calebh
12-10-2006, 10:29 AM
rofl

in 7-8 months, i'll be moving out for college, probly, *hopefully* across the country. i dont mind living with my family, but im sick of my town. closest walmart is at least 17 miles away. same with movie theater. closest mall is over an hour away. it's pretty slow here...