PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my computer

08Lud08
12-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I just got a new hard drive and have some questions. I need to install an operating system and want to know can I only put windows or can I put mac or something like that or is there a version of windows newer than XP.

vwjimmy
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I assume you have a PC and not a Mac....
Windows is not your only choice but Mac OS is not an option....
Unless you are a real geek, you are best off running Windows XP...
There is no version of Windows out right now newer than XP...

UKwithPride
12-04-2006, 03:49 PM
You can install linux on it...

08Lud08
12-04-2006, 04:05 PM
I assume you have a PC and not a Mac....
Windows is not your only choice but Mac OS is not an option....
Unless you are a real geek, you are best off running Windows XP...
There is no version of Windows out right now newer than XP...
ok thanks alot

badlandsrox
12-04-2006, 06:19 PM
if oyu partition your hardrive, or get one of those microsoft/apple chip thingies, then you can run both OSX, and XP on it, and vista OS is coming out next year sometime.

UKwithPride
12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
if oyu partition your hardrive, or get one of those microsoft/apple chip thingies, then you can run both OSX, and XP on it, and vista OS is coming out next year sometime.
you mean the duo core? I think that's only on Mac's...?

leed
12-04-2006, 06:31 PM
There are other ways to run OSX on a PC, but you actually run OSX on windows as a program of some sort. Just as well, it's slow as hell.

If you partition your harddrive, either way, I'm not sure if can run OSX on it..

FYI Dan, partitioning the harddrive is simply taking your harddrive, and creating two virtual drives out of one physical drive. So now your computer will think you have two harddrives of lesser space, instead of just one big harddrive. This way, you can install the windows XP system itself on one partition, and should it corrupt, you won't lose all your files from word, games, excel, videos, music, etc if you need to 'reboot' XP on your computer.

new_to_paintball
12-05-2006, 05:10 PM
i wouldnt get vista for a year or so, just cuz its bound to be loaded with bugs.....

UKwithPride
12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
There are other ways to run OSX on a PC, but you actually run OSX on windows as a program of some sort. Just as well, it's slow as hell.

If you partition your harddrive, either way, I'm not sure if can run OSX on it..

FYI Dan, partitioning the harddrive is simply taking your harddrive, and creating two virtual drives out of one physical drive. .....

Lol, I know what it is. He could also partition it to put 2 OS's on it, one on each hard drive. And the program you mentioned is a PITA, it sucks. And you can't run OSX on a PC unless you can put the mac parts into the PC...