PDA

View Full Version : How do I test if the eyes are working or on?

mrsinbad
12-04-2006, 05:45 AM
Sorry for the dumb newbie question, but...

I just received my VS3 not too long ago and I just powered it up this weekend. I was just wondering how I might go about testing to see if they break beam eyes were working or if it is turned on. Am I safe to assume these are infra red eyes so there is no visible light? Otherwise, it's pretty dark in there. Thanks!

Drefish99
12-04-2006, 05:57 AM
Take a digital camera and use the viewfinder to see if you can see a light coming from the eyes.

zale92
12-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Cock it and try to shoot it with the eyes on. If the bolts goes foreward then they don't work.

Hob Hayward
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Or better way to do it; fire without a ball if it fires then they arn't working properly. Put a ball in, if it does fire then they are working properly.

bigred76
12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Stick your finger down the feedneck and fire. If it breaks the finger, they're on. ;)

mrsinbad
12-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions...

Yeah, this is my first marker with eyes and when I got it and powered it up (with no air), I just cocked it and pulled the trigger. It fired. Next, I stuck my finger into the breech without the barrel attached and it fired (ouch!). Then I took Drefish99's suggestion and used the digital camera and it was dark in there with the bolt cocked. (Snapped a pic while I was at it.) Tested the digital camera viewfinder against 3 different remote controls in the house and it showed the IR lights blinking.

So, my conclusion is the eyes are not working. Back to the store to see what they can do for me.

ryanrocksfender
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM
there working if the eyes are on and u pur ur fing in and it fires that means its working

Hob Hayward
12-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Gotta be sure that they were on...

AcsPilot326
12-05-2006, 04:59 PM
yea i would just take it back and see what they say... worst case is its not working and u should be able to get a new one

bigred76
12-05-2006, 08:23 PM
I was kidding about the finger, lol.... Are your eyes aligned correctly? I know that can be a major problem in most other markers if they're not. Good thinkin' with the camera, I'd have never thought of that....

mrsinbad
12-06-2006, 05:21 AM
Update... the eyes are working now and are clean and aligned correctly. The owners manual was confusing to me with the red, green, and off light combos for the upper light and lower lights, and I unintentionally turned off the eye. It took a while for the techie at Kingman to clear my confusion and for me to understand what he was saying as compared to what I remembered from the owners manual. Just have to remember I have to be in Semi-auto mode with the top light green for the eyes to be on.

Just as a test tho, I put my finger down the feedneck like bigred suggested and pulled the trigger. Made me blink and flinch really quickly!!! Reminds me when I used to play around with the old mouse traps! ;) Also, I used my digital viewfinder again with the bold cocked and it was still dark in there, so maybe this marker doesnt use IR eyes? Anyway, it works and I'm happy. Next anxious moment is to air it up and pray there are no leaks. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.