PDA

View Full Version : Any jerky makers here?

LowTrunkOzz
12-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Alright, here's my deal, I got my deer last week in shotgun season, and I just *found out* that I was getting a dehydrator for Christmas. Now, I need to know what your favorite jerky recipes are if you make your own. Fire away, I've got about 30 pounds of meat to make.

nate

TheRedBarron
12-03-2006, 06:07 PM
grind it into burger meat, and then go to DIC KS and get some seasoning follow their directions :p

Ground meat makes the best jerkey.

Darkh2o
12-04-2006, 03:48 AM
:yeahthat:

We use ground deer for our jerky. Just pick up a seasoning packet from the store and follow the directions. We use a "jerky gun" (example here: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/jerky_gun_jerky_cannon_jerky_shooter_lem.asp) to make strips and put them in the dehydrator. It works like a caulk gun and makes the process go pretty fast. They have different front attachments to make different shapes.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. If you are having it processed, tell them that you do not want any fat added to the ground that you want to use for the jerky. The meat is very lean, so they will ususally add fat to it. If you add fat to the ground meat it will make it greasy when you make it into jerky (from experience). If you process it yourself, well, follow the same, don't add fat for the amount you want to make into jerky.

FredPo
12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
grind it into burger meat, and then go to DIC KS and get some seasoning follow their directions :p

Ground meat makes the best jerkey.

This is one way to make jerky but it will not turn out as well if you sliced it down yourself and marinated it with some marinades of your choice. Marinade (sp? lol ) it for a few days. We usually just put a big batch of jerky meat that we hand sliced ourselves and then mix whatever we feel will be good into the marinade. Then, put it in the dehydrator for until the "wet" look is gone. I personally like it chewy and spicy.

Fred

DFSniper
12-06-2006, 12:09 PM
gawd, havent had REAL jerky in years... my mom makes some good stuff but she doesnt remember how... been too long!

shunut
12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
We slice ours to about 1/4" thick, the marinate overnight.

Our marinate:

Soy Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Liquid Smoke
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

I would love to give you measurements but we don't measure anything, its the Italian in us. Its actually my grandpa's recipe so if I can get ahold of him and get approximate measurements I will.

vwjimmy
12-06-2006, 03:40 PM
We use sliced meat too...
We marinade it with a sauce called "Dales" for a few days (one in the fridge then enough of it to thaw before dehydration
Delish!!!

LowTrunkOzz
12-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys. Shun, I think yours is about the closest to what I figured I would end up doing. I prefer mine to be sliced, not the ground, but I'll be trying it both ways. Where you at DF? Maybe we can work something out....

nate

bigred76
12-07-2006, 07:55 PM
DF lives in Germany. ;) Looks like a couple good recipes up there... I'll have to wait until next year to try some out as I missed deer season this time around. :(

Moe
12-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Killing animals is mean.

edit: damn forgetot, about my curfue...sorry barroooooon. I love you. mE love you looong itme.

bigred76
12-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I think that this is one of those "Ignore Moe" moments. :D

Moe
12-08-2006, 03:42 PM
woops...but I don't eat meat. So I guess I just shouldn't participate in this thread. haha.:wave: byebye.

TheRedBarron
12-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Killing animals is mean.

edit: damn forgetot, about my curfue...sorry barroooooon. I love you. mE love you looong itme.

You better appreciate fool.

LowTrunkOzz
12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
The humane taking of animals is simply Darwin's Law in full effect. Is it better to have me, after spending this long climbing to the top of the food chain, take the life of a deer in as humane a way as possible, or should I just let them go, over-populate, spread disease, and suffer a long and painful death by starvation? I understand your point, to a point.

Not trying to start with the flaming....just stating my position on the care of the wild game population....

nate

Moe
12-08-2006, 08:17 PM
I am very supportive of you're position. I ate meat for 17 years. I hold nothing against anyone.

*EM1-Master*
12-08-2006, 09:21 PM
When you make your jerky, I'll send you $5 to send me some :) I love homemade jerky, but we aren't hunters in my family so it's a rare treat that was pretty much limited to visits to my ex-girlfriend's house in SC....

Sandman_Bravo
12-09-2006, 03:31 PM
We slice ours to about 1/4" thick, then marinade overnight.

Our marinade:

Soy Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Liquid Smoke
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

That's my recipe! It's roughly 2 parts soy to 1 part worcestershire. A few good shakes of liquid smoke, and the other (no salt- soy IS salt) dry ingredients. I also add paprika. You can mix it up on some batches by making "spicy jerky". Just add some cayanne pepper. Cut diagonally across the grain of the meat. Good luck!

killerpinecone
12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
beef eye of round, if you use this meat, have it trimmed so there is no fat, slice it and then use http://www.himtnjerky.com/

we get it from our local gander mountain, ive also seen it at academy, we like the cracked pepper, the box comes with a great recipe

fxdbi
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I use the following (similar to shunut) for standard jerky

Teriyaki (just a dash or two)
Soy Sauce (just a bit)
Liquid Smoke
A bit of pepper
Garlic
Onion

I also will use:

Liquid Smoke
Dash of soy suace
Greek seasoning (not sure the brand)

Liquid Smoke
Garlic
Onion
Season Salt (just a bit)
Chili Powder
Chipotle
A bit of curry
A bit of Indian Mace

Of course, there is nothing like hanging it in a smoker/smokehouse for a day or two in place of the liquid smoke.

I first started by buying the jerky seasoning kits, but at $5-6 each, I just started experimenting with different seasonings. Each time I make it is is different.

I generally will add all the seasoning, the liquid and mix it really good in a plastic (never metal) bowl, then transfer it into quart size ziploc bags and compress all the air I can out of it and sit it in the fridge for a couple three days when using sliced meat, only overnight for gound meat since the seasoning is mixed in with the meat and does not need to penetrate it.

I then bake it on an open oven rack for about *edit after reading http://himtnjerky.com/product/jerky.php step 8*** 200* 1-1/4 hourse with the oven door held open with a butter knife to allow just a bit of air circulation (don't want it open too far, but you don't want it fully closed either).