PDA

View Full Version : NEW MR1/MR2/MR3 retractable stock prototype!

patshortland
12-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey guys, besides the grips I am doing I have prepared a new retractable stock for my MR2 and MR1.

If you have a look at the following link you will see the prototype in grey. It slides on two steel rods and will be locked in place by a set screw on the right side. Also there will be a hole drilled in the rear of the forward mount so I can adjust the velocity without removing the stock.

As you can see I have positioned the sliding rods very low on the marker. This allows them to be as close to the sides of the marker as possible and provide room for me to sight down the marker with my mask on.

Last but not least I am going to cast it in a black polyurethane resin like the grips.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/patshortland/album?.dir=/4d02re2

What do you think?

Hossy
12-02-2006, 07:59 PM
wow.

amazing work bud. if i had an MR id be first in line for one of them!

DRAGON
12-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Excellent job! but 1) what prevents it from sliding forward during use? 2) needs some plastic caps on the ends of the tubes to prevent them from scraping up the ano job

patshortland
12-03-2006, 11:18 AM
To lock the rods in position a large set screw with a small handle will set the rod in place allowing any position. The rod is silver galvanized and even though the set screw is steel it only shows minimal marks in the silver galvanizing on the rod. It should be good to go.

DRAGON
12-03-2006, 11:27 AM
..........The rod is silver galvanized and even though the set screw is steel it only shows minimal marks in the silver galvanizing on the rod. It should be good to go.

Not worried about scraping up the rod lol. Worried about the forward end of the rods scraping up the black anodizing of the marker body. I'd suggest platic caps for the ends - ;)

patshortland
12-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Yep, I agree with you. Will put some on the tips. Also keep in mind that to clear the forward grip handle the rods are a fair away from the anodizing. But neverthless caps will be insurance.

DRAGON
12-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Need a beta? I'm always here - ;)

leed
12-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Those look absolutely amazing (both the grips and the stock). If you're worried about the rod getting scratched up. You can always use Plastic Tipped set screws instead of just plain steel ones. They're essentially steel/stainless steel ones with hard plastic tipped ends.

threeinone
12-04-2006, 03:59 PM
those grips and stock are great. will you be selling them if so when? and how much? thanks

patshortland
12-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, what would you be willing to pay for the grips and stock?

QuiGonKen
12-05-2006, 11:04 PM
i would be willing to pay upward to 40 CDN....so around 30USD...if u do sell'em,which i hope you do, pls put em up for ebay :D

*edit* sorry i forgot to mention im talking only about the grips....:D

darth massacre
12-06-2006, 01:31 AM
I think a fair price should be somewhere around the region of the M4 combat stocks for the MR series.

I like the MP5 feel of the stock very much, but I'm curious how stable it is compared to the factory stock and the M4 combat stocks available on market now.

Edit/Add: Hey Pat, I'm curious, how would the user adjust velocity if its blocked off by the retractable stock base?

Also, would it be more stable to include the use of the screws on the side plates to hold the base of the retractable stock?

patshortland
12-07-2006, 04:42 PM
As far as velocity is concerned, after the stock is cast a hole will be drilled to allow the user to adjust the velocity.

A set screw will be used to hold the metal rods/rams in place. Based on trials this provides an extremely firm hold but still allows the stock to be adjusted to any length desired.

pbgrandpa
12-07-2006, 04:54 PM
If and when you get the grips made, I'll definatly be wanting a set.

darth massacre
12-07-2006, 07:00 PM
A set screw will be used to hold the metal rods/rams in place. Based on trials this provides an extremely firm hold but still allows the stock to be adjusted to any length desired.
That sounds reasonable. Will watch for it.

And ditto on those Grips.