PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Help

bracer028
11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
are the empire 7 kits better than the freak kit or the ultralite?

which one is the best?

druid
11-30-2006, 01:21 PM
"best" is subjective to the owner. All kits are designed to work with differently bored paints so as long as you bore-match your paint, it boils down to what you want to spend, on what barrel system "look" you're going for

Ace24
11-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Personally, I love my Empire 7 peice 14" set. It's a pretty loud barrel incomparison to the J&J Ceramic 14" I have... but it makes me pleanty happy.

The Empire kit I have has a little wear problem in the enterior enamel due to reballs... but besides that, it's amazing.

Freak kits are also great. Personally I would go with a Evil Pipe kit, Emipre Barrel kit, or a Freak.

My advice is go to a field, find people witht he different barrels and ask to use their gun, then fire a few times, see wich barrels you like better for sound/style and such.

bracer028
11-30-2006, 01:30 PM
so this empire 7 is not as good as the empire kit set?

well i can get this for 55 bucks...should i shoot for it?

Ace24
11-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I was talking about the same thing. The Empire 7 Peice Barrel Kit.

Thats what your talking about right?

If you can get a good one for $55, thats a pretty good deal. Just make sure it has all the backs and the tip.

bracer028
11-30-2006, 01:53 PM
ya it does...

would u prefer a ultralight for 80 bucks or a freak jr.? or this empire 7

vwjimmy
11-30-2006, 02:43 PM
The nice thing about freak kits is that you only have to buy a different back to use the kit on a different threaded marker. The Empire is a good kit but the backs are already sized and when or if you get another threaded marker, you will have to replace the whole kit. I love the Empire kit and the Ultralite is a great barrel too but for the long term I think the Freak is the most versitile.

Ace24
11-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Ultralight is a waste of money. The backs are WAY to expensive.

Freaks, and Empires for the win. The Evil Pipe kit is loud... I forgot to meantion that.

I wouldnt go with a Freak JR though. The tip for those are horrible. Your better off buying the Freak back seperatly, finding the size of the paint at your field and getting one size bigger then that of a incert, then buying either an All American tip, or a Freak tip. (Both of wich are the same price, its basicly what style you like...)

bracer028
11-30-2006, 08:55 PM
wiat...so if the field uses .68 balls, i should use one size larger barrel?

druid
11-30-2006, 09:41 PM
:slapsforehead:

Bracer...they are all .68 caliber paint but the actual size of the paintball is measured to the thousandths of an inch...like this....

.687 ......all the way up to
.691 I believe.

look here and you'll see what I mean....

http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html

Barrel kits with multiple backs and kits with inserts have specific sized bores to best suit the different paints you might encounter.

bracer028
11-30-2006, 09:47 PM
then if all of them are .68, then why would i need a barrel for?

bigred76
11-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Ultralight is a waste of money. The backs are WAY to expensive.
You only need ONE back, how is that expensive? :rolleyes: The performance is way worth it...

OK, Bracer... Paint comes in .68 calibre. That's right about where we lose you. After calibre, it is broken down into a BORE SIZE. Paintballs normally come in a .689 bore, just as an average size. That means it's .689" in diameter. Following me so far? Good!

Ok, now, not all paintballs are the same bore, different manufactures use different machines to make the little buggers. you can see almost all the bore sizes here. (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html) Matching your paint to your bore will make it more accurate, efficient, etc. But, if your paint is too large for the bore of your barrel, the paint will cause you to have "barrel breaks." Some of just use one, large bored barrel to fit all sizes of paint. This is called "overboring." By using a larger bore, we sacrifice a minute amount of efficiency for the guarantee of always being able to shoot paint. Normally, peple use a .692 bore barrel to do this with. While it is not the largest bore out there, it works with almost every paint I can think of.

If you are still confused... point out what confuses you. I don't want to have to explain that all again... :(

EDIT: Here (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrelc.html) is a list of barrels and their bores.

Double Edit: IMO, I'd prefer to overbore and use a DYE Ultralite. It keeps it down to 2 peices. But, if I can find a nice Freak kit for cheap, I'd pick that up. Empire Kits aren't that bad, but I haven't had to much experience with them so I can't say too much about it.

bracer028
11-30-2006, 10:03 PM
ok i got that.

so if i buy a bag of balls, where does it say the diameter of the balls?

how do i test the balls that fit in?

bigred76
11-30-2006, 10:07 PM
It won't say on the bag, or even the case. It's just a general knowledge of what paints are what bore. If you have a Freak kit, you can do what Druid used to do before he got a bore sizer and just drop the balls through the insert to see which is best for that paint.

bracer028
11-30-2006, 10:08 PM
thats what i'm going to do...

so should it drop through or clog up in the barrel?

bigred76
11-30-2006, 10:11 PM
It should pass through easily, but not have much space around the ball in the barrel. It'll also help you to see the quality of the paint via how round it is by doing this. :)

druid
12-01-2006, 12:30 AM
thats what i'm going to do...

so should it drop through or clog up in the barrel?

take your barrel off the marker. Hold the barrel vertically and place a paintball in the breech (threaded end). If it's a "good fit", it should stop about 1-2 inches in. Blow on the paint and it should make a decent seal but then blow right on through. If it sticks and stays there, the barrel bore is too small for the paint. If it just falls through, the bore diameter is bigger than the paint's.

The other alternative is what Tim eluded to...a paint-bore sizer found here... http://www.doropaintball.com/AB1038101Equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=763&cat=Bore+Sizer

Ace24
12-01-2006, 12:27 PM
You only need ONE back, how is that expensive? :rolleyes: The performance is way worth it...

How do you get a good paint to barrel match then? I cant stand having overbored barrels... just think of a girl and some other things.. got to keep it PG... lol. :(

druid
12-01-2006, 01:25 PM
dude...you really need to learn to read before posting...

take your barrel off the marker. Hold the barrel vertically and place a paintball in the breech (threaded end). If it's a "good fit", it should stop about 1-2 inches in. Blow on the paint and it should make a decent seal but then blow right on through. If it sticks and stays there, the barrel bore is too small for the paint. If it just falls through, the bore diameter is bigger than the paint's.

The other alternative is what Tim eluded to...a paint-bore sizer found here... http://www.doropaintball.com/AB1038101Equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=763&cat=Bore+Sizer

bigred76
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
How do you get a good paint to barrel match then? I cant stand having overbored barrels... just think of a girl and some other things.. got to keep it PG... lol. :(
Quite possibly you can't stand it because the simplicity and effectiveness eludes you. :D

vikingshadow
12-01-2006, 06:22 PM

I would overbore as often as I could. Not much, but at least one size larger. In return, I had no barrel breaks, no significant loss of efficiency, and NEVER had to clean a break or chop - that, by the way, is FTW...

This is why I liked inserts better than backs. That, and you could just buy a new threaded back and have a complete set for two or more different guns. (I have a full Shocker threaded Freak kit, then bought a different Angel threaded back, so Voila! One complete kits for two completely different guns!) What I did was find the correct fit using the method that Druid mentioned, look at the size indicator on the side of the insert, then go up at least one size larger, sometimes two. You get fluctuation as the day warms and cools, so the extra size never hurt anything.

I would have bought an Ultralight if I'd wanted to spend the money on it - they are really decent, but the Freak kit was good enough for me, especially since it was easy to switch bore sizes in a tournament...

But, then again, I have never thought of my gun, nor related any part of it to a girl. Never had the desire nor the thought to - kind of comes from having an actual live girl to come home to!