PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cheapish Amp/Receiver

Hob Hayward
11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I recently lost the speakers that I had on this comp, and I need some replacements. Either I can buy a 2.1 set of speakers for like 50$ or I can try to find a decent tuner or amp to drive a set of pretty nice speakers that my dad has lieing around. I'd like to take the big speakers he has, but I havn't been able to find anything under 150$ so far. Anyone know of something that would work for me? The Speakers are by a company called Paradigm, and they appear to each have a speaker and a subwoofer.

UKwithPride
11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9066

I have those, and the sound on them is really good, and the bass from the sub is nice too. Cost me around 60ish or less

Hob Hayward
11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I'd rather get an amp of some sort, but those do look good if I end up getting a speaker set.

emf7301
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I highly suggest the Creative Labs I-trigue L3800. They have a very clean design and the sound quality is very good as well. I was able to get them on sale on the circuit city website for 50 bucks (150 normally). If you can find that deal, go for them. They are awesome. Otherwise, look to see if you can find the Creative Labs I-trigue 3300 or 3200. I personally have the 3300 and like them alot (3800 was for my sister). I wouldn't pay the 80 bucks for them( i think i got mine for 40). Just check the advertisements and you should be able to find a good deal. If you have a Fry's nearby, they probably list stuff every day of the week (they do in my paper).

As far as the amp goes, you probably won't find anything decent for under 200. It's your call.

Nader
11-28-2006, 08:54 PM
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-gmx-a-2-1.aspx

Sub has a built in Amp, and system is upgradeable to the 5.1 if you should so choose.

This is the system I use, and it is simply amazing. No distortion at insane sound levels...it's crazy.

You can find the system for about $120.00 other places if you look.

badlandsrox
11-28-2006, 09:29 PM
I dont know what the ones i have are, but they POUND at high... example: the other day i had it on high, and at the other end of the house, water in a glass was rippling... rippling doesnt even cut it actually, they were like mini tsunamis lol, i think there logitech actually, and are somthin like 500ish canadian.

Ace24
11-28-2006, 09:59 PM
I have had the same Altec Lansing ADA 305's* for the last 10 years or so. They sound just as good as when I took them out of the box and I've been using them almost every day. Altec speakers are on the high side for $$ but they are more then worth it.

Mine are 120watts with subwoofer.

*its a surround sound system too.

Hob Hayward
11-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Well I just realized how nice these Yamaha 2.1's on my other comp are. I tried turning the volume up for the first time. no distortion all the way to the top, and even at half power the window next to me is rattling.

I'm gonna forget getting an amp because its not really worth it if you can get this much power out of standard speakers. Nows the tough desciion, there are wayyyyyyyy too many options for a set of 2.1's.

leed
11-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, if you get a used Preamp, you should be able to use your speakers. I have a Marantz preamp/stereo receivers up to some 500watt speakers, and it's killer. And didn't cost me a dime!