PDA

View Full Version : Wal-mart

vikingshadow
11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Ok, the local newspaper forum has a HUGE debate going about those self-check lines and that people should avoid those at any costs....as well as whether anyone should actually go to Wal-Mart anymore in the first place.

Some say that we still pay the same price for the goods, and that we don't get paid to check our own goods out. Others say that the hassle of long lines, dealing with surly checkers, as well as incompetent checkers makes the self-check lines that much better.

So, here for the SOC debate team - what do you think about the self-check lines in these department stores?

I have an opinion, but I'll save it for later!

marvin-martian
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
i hate those things so much, and they always screw up somehow and wont scan. i avoid them at all costs

Total90Oliver
11-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Never seen one, unless you mean the little thing that is red, and just tells you the price. Then, I think there should be more.

durrell
11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I agree with marv. They're always broken and they scan stuff twice. I never leave the sporting goods anyway, so I just check out at the back of the store. I say they're a waste.

Jimmyd24
11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
i like them, when there is big lines i can just go through those nice and quick

colonel_moo
11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
i use then if i only have 1 or 2 things just because theres usually no line. if i have a bunch of stuff, id rather have someone else do it.

marvin-martian
11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
i like them, when there is big lines i can just go through those nice and quick
there are big lines because half of them are self serve, which everyone is avoiding.

Jimmyd24
11-27-2006, 02:24 PM
what did u mean by hald

Maxx-Damage
11-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Ive used em with ok results. Better than standing there and waiting for about 10minwhen u couldve left 8min earlier.

stylinbeaver
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I love them. There easy. You scan and then touch it to the little spot and your done. It takes cash and credit cards. I think they should be in all stores.

Moe
11-27-2006, 02:58 PM
I never use them. I like to talk to people while checking out I guess.

pbfreak3221
11-27-2006, 03:20 PM
I like there products, I don't support there principles or there doings though.

taurinic
11-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I think it was a pain in the ass when I was buying my oranges, I had to search for those stuff without barcodes. And the screen sucks.

What if people got away with oranges? Free oranges for them :D

vwjimmy
11-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I hate them....no room for big items on the scale...cash will not read right....cashier monitor helping someone else or asleep at the wheel....
I am sure they could make them more user friendly but I am not sold on them at all....
Plus...it does seem like they should give you a discount for using them! even one or two percent would be nice...
My .02

Jimmyd24
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
the onlhy problem i have against them is that if they gain in popularity, they will begin to replace people that need th jobs and stuff like that because machines are more efficient and profitable

calebh
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
sometimes the work, sometimes they dont. sometimes, the wait time is longer at the self-check things because someone who doesnt have a clue what they're doing is trying to figure out why they just paid for 33 pounds of oranges when they wanted 3 bananas.

then there's the fact that the price is still the same, and im not being paid to check myself out. but on top of that, nobody else is being paid to do it either. just an indian computer programmer, a few chinese workers, and the walmart execs for coming up with such a great idea. :dodgy: well, i guess theres the trouble shooting staff. they should be in constant demand by those ppl who accidently buy a few hundred gallons of milk and hold up the line.

if a self-check line is working, and nobody's in line, ill use it. when they can make them idiot-proof (which will never happen, so as idiot-proof as possible) and fail-safe, i might think a little more of them

Ace24
11-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I love them. I cant stand waiting in line if I have just one item and I can scan it faster and be out of there faster then the casheers can ring me up. So for me, they are a <3

Hoppy11
11-27-2006, 05:22 PM
I use them all the time. I have never used the Wal-Mart ones, but I use the Meijer ones all the time. The only time I have ever had them screw up is when I haven't had to pay for something because the people there just cancle the order and tell me to leave, lol. :D

ooglieboogliebob
11-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Well self serve lines are good for small goods, but not for a lot.

Though it might be wasting time, i'd much rather stand in the line since on discount sales sometimes the scanner doesn't pick it up, or it's not registered. On those cases you can't really do anything about it. Other than that not much bothers me. Maybe i could even carry the feather weighted doug around to bag my goods ... :p

claustrophobia9
11-27-2006, 06:00 PM
people suck at it and go slow, if it was all me i could zoom through but there are always like 1000 morons in line

Recon by Fire
11-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I like the convenience idea of them, but you have to be careful of what you are buying in those lines. Most times they malfunction or do not recognize the items properly and then they just annoy you instead of making it easier.

Last time I used one it wouldn't recognize that I "put the item in the bag" so I ended up slamming the mechandise down on the platform just as hard as I could (accompanied by loud bangs of course and colorful WalMart compliments). A sales associate looked on and i'm sure was going to say something but used better judgemnet and stayed out of the way.

Yeah, convenience! I found a better method, I just send my wife to the store.

phatphil
11-28-2006, 01:18 PM
I like the concept, but they never seem to work correctly... especially with extremely light items or barcodes that refuse to scan.

08Lud08
11-28-2006, 01:32 PM
I hate them so much because the scales never work and it takes forever. Its also annoying because some people are so slow and take forever to ring like 5 things up and pay. The worst place that they can be here is the home depots and the worst part is that they have one regular lane with a cashier and 4 self check out lanes and people try to ring up humongous items on they cant fit on the scale so it takes likes 10 minutes per person. I think they should only be for the ten items or less line.

ricochet08
11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I like using them. They never give me any problems. in my area, many ppl don't know how to use them so there's hardly ever a line :D
just makes my day easier.
I even operate them in Spanish :)

Warnichek
12-04-2006, 07:20 AM
love them things. specially when I have only 3 or 4 things to run in and get. Use them whenever possible.

Halucin8
12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
they are nothing more than a way for big business to save money and not pay their employees or even have employees since one cashier can handle 4 or 5 self check lanes.

discount definitely (might make me try them more often). but with all the problems i have had and seen i try to always use a live a person instead of these.

vikingshadow
12-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, I personally like them and refuse to go through a regular line.

Long story short, the last 3 times I went through their lines (yes, I kept track) the cashier stopped in the middle of checking my items out, physically turned around and began visiting with a friend of her's about some party or something - took literally about 5 minutes of me coughing, clearing my throat, etc, before she finally turned around, gave me a dirty look for interupting her, and continued checking me out. The second time, I had a cashier who was seriously in a bad mood and took it out on my items and did nothing but complain about her job and the last time, the checker was so slow I could have been out of the parking lot and halfway home before she got all my items done.

It's worth it not to deal with other people's hassles - and I've never had one of those self check ones go bad on me yet - in fact, I'm faster on those than the normal checkers are on their machines! Swipe the debit card and off I go...

TheRedBarron
12-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I use the self checkout at WalMart mostly because when I go there I only get 1 item or so and it is a pain to wait in the thousand mile long line to pay for one item that costs no more then 5 bucks. (generally shower products, soap shampoo etc.) That is about all I buy at WalMart so the self checkout helps people like me. I have notied with light items the scale does not pick them up, but otherwise I agree with the idea.

I also use it at Home Depot and Hannaford (grocery store) when I do not have alot of items.

badlandsrox
12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
about people saying they dont scan right?

They scan about as good as the ones the employees use, so its not like its taking u any extra time, the employee ones take jsut as long cuz they suck too.

calebh
12-04-2006, 07:20 PM
lol, its the people in front of me who are either technophobic or technostupid who take forever

silentpaintballfreak
12-04-2006, 07:31 PM
i prefer them over the old ladys hitting on me.