PDA

View Full Version : What flat screen T.v Should I buy??

conradl
11-25-2006, 07:22 PM
hello.

I am looking for an HDTV mainly for gaminig and DVD's, I am on a budget so I dont want to spend lots of money. I have been looking at samsung and vizio because they looking like good comanies and are pretty cheap.

thank you

xtraking
11-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Are you serious? You seriously ask this the day after BLACK FRIDAY?

claustrophobia9
11-25-2006, 08:03 PM
ya lol
best buy had phillups 52 inch DLP's for 450

you should have camped out.

if you want one for gaming id suggest a small samsung. samsungs are good for gameing because of high contrast ratio (+3000:1) vizio suck, really. if you convince your parents not to get you anything but best buy gift cards for the holidays you could stop buy after christmas and pick up an open box samsung fairly cheap (my friend got a 37" lcd for 500)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2102640411+50001077&Subcategory=411&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc= all the deals are over now, but keep an eye on this page sometimes the 23inchers drop low.

conradl
11-25-2006, 08:27 PM
ok thanks, and I am not going to camp out for any thing so thats why I didn't go for black friday.

08Lud08
11-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I wish I knew about black Friday earlier. My friends told me the next day and I don't watch the news so I didn't know until today. My friends got a 160 gb hard drive for $30 and two 2gig memory cards for psp for $20 and a 2 free bluetooth headsets.

vikingshadow
11-26-2006, 05:16 AM
Man, we didn't have any sales like that around here. Closest thing was some off brand 32" LCD for 599.95. Black Friday was more of a light gray for us!

claustrophobia9
11-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Man, we didn't have any sales like that around here. Closest thing was some off brand 32" LCD for 599.95. Black Friday was more of a light gray for us!
we had people skip thanksgiving to camp

xtraking
11-26-2006, 07:40 AM
you sure? I thought it was nation wide.

vikingshadow
11-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Pretty sure - of course, I don't live near a big city or anything. My town is the largest town in this part of the state (within 150 miles), and it was pretty dead around here! We have a Wal-Mart, and some electronics stores (not Best Buy or Circuit City or anything, but local owned stuff...) and they didn't have any of the sales that were going on elsewhere.

shunut
11-26-2006, 08:31 AM
I'd go Pioneer or Sony. Of all the the companies out there I would have to say these 2 have the best picture. You might have to pay a little more but it will be worth it.

claustrophobia9
11-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I'd go Pioneer or Sony. Of all the the companies out there I would have to say these 2 have the best picture. You might have to pay a little more but it will be worth it.
sony has horrible customer care, really horrible, and their products are the same as samsung (liscensed technology from them) besides you can see how much worse the picture is at best buy than. i dont know much about pioneer's stuff

imo phillups has some of the best stuff, and samsung follows, but since he's looking for a good gaming tv it isnt neccessarily all dependant on the best picture, contrast ratio helps keep the screen bright and help you see those dark areas where people could be hiding, trust me, it helps a ton to be able to see. imo you probibly want an LCD if you primarily play in bright rooms, but if you play at night you definately want plasma. DLP could suffice for either but it is really only good if you are already buying a really big tv. samsung has THE best LCD tv's. if you go the plasma route im not sure what you'd be looking for, especially since they are so expensive

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125816-page,1/article.html

ross * pilot
11-26-2006, 09:56 AM
yea, i was thinking of what tv to buy for my upcoming 360. i heard DLP was high quality and provides the best, sharpest picture... is that true?

claustrophobia9
11-26-2006, 10:05 AM
yea, i was thinking of what tv to buy for my upcoming 360. i heard DLP was high quality and provides the best, sharpest picture... is that true?
its a cheap(er) alternative at a large size compared to plasma and LCD. its slightly worse quality picture (more pixelated) but the brightness is astounding, it also keeps alot of contrast ratios that plasma has while getting the brightness of an LCD. its suggested that this is the right tv for gamers who buy big tvs.

shu- i looked into it for another 3 minutes and you may be right about sony and pioneer being a good picture choice, but i assumed that conradl wouldnt be spending 5g's on a tv. at the range id assume hes looking at (because i am looking for a tv for my xbox too, and im not spending over 1000 on a tv) hes either got an LCD or flat CRT in mind. LCD is better but lacks contrast of plasmas that you referred to, which is why samsung is the best, since it achieves ratios close to those of the very high end TV's (pioneer hit 5000:1).

price/size of average tvs in tech/ what they work best with:
LCD: 17"-36", $300-$1600
DLP: 36"-60" $4500+
Plasma: 32"-60"(-103"... if you are a freak) $4500+ (starting price at 32" rather than DLP starting at 36")
projection: all over the place, a good projector, one that works almost all (day /night) the time will run you ~8000 plus time putting it in and setting it up.

Jimmyd24
11-26-2006, 11:12 AM
there is this new brand called visio, great flat screen tvs, think there lcd or plasma but pretty cheap.
i think they sell a 32in for 499, i think thats good

conradl
11-26-2006, 01:24 PM
there is this new brand called visio, great flat screen tvs, think there lcd or plasma but pretty cheap.
i think they sell a 32in for 499, i think thats good

Claus said vizio were junk so I ruled them out.

claustrophobia9
11-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Claus said vizio were junk so I ruled them out.
at kroger we have like 1/10th of the vizios returned.

conradl
11-26-2006, 02:27 PM
at kroger we have like 1/10th of the vizios returned.

OHHHHHH. This is why you know so much about ALL electronics, are you the manager at Kroger's?

claustrophobia9
11-26-2006, 02:30 PM
OHHHHHH. This is why you know so much about ALL electronics, are you the manager at Kroger's?
no, i clean toilets, then i put peoples groceries away without washing my hands. i know about electronics cuz im love games in high res sound/video

Ace24
11-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Honestly... from what I have seen. LG offers an amazing LCD Flat Pannel HDTV.

I would go with a Plasma/LCD TV. Do not buy projection. Mainly because its more likely to burn out, get faded with time, and you cannot see it from different angles. You have to be directly infront of the TV to see it.

I am looking into a 47" Plasma HDTV... possibly from Sony or Panasonic. I was looking at the Hitatchi ones as well... but I like the clarity of the Panasonics and Sony's over most. The options are nicer too.

claustrophobia9
11-26-2006, 03:34 PM
DLP is actually better because when plasmas burn out or start getting spots you replace the tv but with dlp you just replace a bulb. also since the projection isnt far you can see it from many angles.... i dont know where people get the idea that projection is harder to see from angles.

Jimmyd24
11-26-2006, 05:14 PM
to repair a plasma tv it usually costs more than the tv itself

Voodoo
11-26-2006, 11:56 PM
i agree. my last 4 tv's have been sony and my oldest one is 10+ years old and never had any problems with any of them. the latest tv i bought was for my mom last year for christmas was a 42 in plasma and it was a dell, between picture quality, options, extended warranty and price they where hard to beat.