PDA

View Full Version : I need some support v3 and a half

vikingshadow
11-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok, 'tis the season for getting fat!

Well, I figured that the other two threads were quite successful (one was over 60 pages, and the other I think hit 30+) so since this is a new get in shape season, well, let's have at it! That, and I'm old and we old people always keep bringing up the past.....

Anyway, I've been going to the gym for several months, but the last couple of months, I've been trying to go more days than I missed. Up until a couple weeks ago, I hadn't lost anything - in fact, I gained 5 pounds (but I don't think it was muscle - just bad eating practices at supper...)

Then two weeks ago, I got really serious and started working hard and watching what I eat for supper and promptly dropped 5+ pounds (not sure exactly how much above, but less than 10) in 5 days. Then, over the weekend, had an eating binge and gained back 3 pounds. Yesterday was the last day of school for several days, so I treated myself and went out to eat, which I felt guilty about but tonight I stepped on the scales and lost all the weight I gained back!

Here's my plan:

30 minutes (or 3 miles and 400+ calories burned) on the treadmill
20 minutes (about 2 - 2.5 miles and 300 or so calories) on the elliptical - if I can get on it!
every once and a while, when I have the time, get on the recumbant bike and go for 20 minutes (about 3 miles and about 120-150 calories)
Stretch for about 15 minutes

Eat a light supper (if I can help it!)

My goal is to lose 5 pounds a month - in 6 months, I should have the weight off that I wanted to lose, but we'll see!

Post up your support and plans to get in shape, either because of the holidays or for the PB season next year!

Theheroguy
11-22-2006, 04:04 PM
good luck

Maxx-Damage
11-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Hope it works out for you.

Im just trying to become stronger so i can hold on to my MR2(the weight is rediculous). Right now i can bench a 100lbs, and lift 320lb with my legs. need to get these up for next year so im a little faster and so my arms arent falling off during a 30min game.

TheRedBarron
11-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Vike goodluck once again, you are really good at this game so the only thing I can say is goodluck.

Maxx Damage, you would like to gain muscle mass? PM me with your weight, and your goals and I will see what I can do to help you out as far as a plan goes.

vwjimmy
11-22-2006, 05:51 PM
I spend 30 minutes on various cardio and 30 minutes strength training every other day. Also, the boys and I get out every weekend for some kind of excercise. (Rec or woodsball, baseball, football, etc)
Then, I try not to blow it on meals. Most important: dont beat yourself up too much when you do eat wrong or too much, because it can get discourging and start you down the wrong road. Lastly, I don't weigh in every day....once a week or so is better for me, and I set my goals for that time frame as well!
Good luck Vike...I'm with ya man...

Moe
11-22-2006, 06:05 PM
My plans for not getting fat:

Eat as much as I can, workout as little as possible, and hope my metobolism keeps truckin.

TheRedBarron
11-22-2006, 06:07 PM
My plan...

Wake up in the morning, do 50 pushups, 100 crunches, and another set of 50 pushups. I then do a five mile one way run, and then I jog back. This morning routine will quickly help with your stamina, your speed, and your arm strength.

I would start off small, 25 pushups, 50 crunches, 25 pushups. 1 mile run (stop when needed, bring water), jog back (try to do it all at once but stop if you need it, also stop and sit between run mode and jog mode).

Night routine, do 5 minutes of high stepping, and then do one set of 50 pushups, 100 crunches and I used to do 25 pullups but I have been slacking.

Start off with 1 minute of high steps, and 25 pushups.

I do this every day.

I do not work out for strength or to lose weight but mostly to keep what tone I have and to build stamina. I worked out in the gym until I was comfortable with my strength.

Oh, the wifey does this with me every morning and every night. :up:

calebh
11-22-2006, 06:20 PM
wow, barron's a beast. and so's his wife :P

i prefer stamina over strength, too, but im still pretty freaking strong. blame my genes lol. i havent truly worked out since like 7th grade. now i just run, do pushups, crunches, and curls occasionally...

anyway, vike, good luck man :D its gonna be hard with thanksgiving tomorrow lol take like the whole family with you for a nice long run

Hossy
11-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Its Basketball season, so im doing that every day, which is a good workout.

Im 6'6 235, and im trying to loose fat weight, and put it on to muscle.

pushups and situps every day for me

TheRedBarron
11-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Nah, not a beast I just like to stay in shape. Doing this in the morning (6AM for me) then taking a shower keeps me feeling refreshed all day, it wakes you up better then 100 cups of coffee.

Ok so I might be a beast but the wifey, she could kick my butt... She does not have a whole lot of definition like those scary chicks on TV (nor does she want that) but she has what tone she wants, and does very good at keeping it.

We also eat pretty healthy, generally eggs and toast for breakfast, a salad for lunch (or a decent sammich), and a full course meal for supper. I also tend to have a bowl of cereal or somthing right around midnight since I do not go to bed until around 3-4.

durrell
11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm in a weight lifting class at school so that has kept me going good. Really got me into a good cardio workout. I just have to make sure I keep that up when I have to workout on my own next semester.

silentpaintballfreak
11-22-2006, 07:03 PM
i lift 50lbs in various positions about like 150 times a day. its not a work out but its work.

FredPo
11-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Vike, I'm going to recommend 45 minutes of intense weight training into your workout. Lifting weights for an intense 45 minutes will allow you to burn up to 600 calories very easily. This will also bring tone and shape to your muscles. Just keep the reps high at about 15 so that hypertrophy (muscle increase) will not take over losing the fat. Keeping the reps at 15 allows the muscle to gain size sparingly while dropping fat. Let me know if anyone needs any help with diet.
I'm also going to throw www.bodyforlife.com out there for everyone. This website shows you how to eat and live a healthy lifestyle. It's very valuable for nutrition information showing how to diet properly. I don't work for this website or anything so I'm not going to promote it b/c of that but it does work if you follow the guidelines. Best of luck to everyone.

Fred

vikingshadow
11-23-2006, 02:27 PM
So, do I keep to lower weights then? To accomplish the 15 reps that is, and how many sets?

I also have to throw a shout out for www.podfitness.com. It's a workout program that is downloaded into itunes and gets on your Ipod and it's almost like having a trainer there with you....I have no affilitation with them other than using them - it does cost though. I think like 20 bucks a month, but worth it!

splater18
11-24-2006, 06:28 PM
what should i do if i want to lose body mass around my gut area? i wiegh 117 and am 117wh kind of things should i do? i dont have acess to a gym so i cant lift weight or use that fancy equipment? any help would be apreciated:)

edit i am only 12 not 117

Hossy
11-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Im no fred po, but i can help
So, do I keep to lower weights then? To accomplish the 15 reps that is, and how many sets?

I also have to throw a shout out for www.podfitness.com. It's a workout program that is downloaded into itunes and gets on your Ipod and it's almost like having a trainer there with you....I have no affilitation with them other than using them - it does cost though. I think like 20 bucks a month, but worth it!

Vike, yes you do lift a less amount of wieght. Id say do 3 sets of 15, i dont know what you do now, but thats what i was told to do in wieght lifting class

what should i do if i want to lose body mass around my gut area? i wiegh 117 and am 117 pounds what kind of things should i do? i dont have acess to a gym so i cant lift weight or use that fancy equipment? any help would be apreciated
I weigh 117 and you are 117, theres a problem there :dodgy:

if you want to just loose wieght, crunches, other ab workouts, and run.

vikingshadow
11-25-2006, 05:55 AM
That's what I thought. I usually do higher reps and lower weights but mostly because I'm usually by myself and don't want to worry about a spotter...

I made it through Thanksgiving, round 1, and managed to not gain anything. Last night was pretty tough - all alone and watching tv, two of more dangerous times for me to start snacking! Today is Thanksgiving, round 2! We'll see what happens...Then it's Thanksgiving/Christmas, round 3 sic 1 next weekend (sometimes being married is tough!)

FredPo
11-25-2006, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=vikingshadow]So, do I keep to lower weights then? To accomplish the 15 reps that is, and how many sets?

QUOTE]

Yeah Vike, keep the machines or free weights at a spot where 15 reps will give you a pretty good "burn". You want to be working hard doing those 15 reps but not to where you are going to need a spotter on rep 7. For each bodypart, pick out a few machines or free weight exercises and do about 10-12 sets for each. This should help to tone and lose some serious calories from weight training.

Fred

vikingshadow
11-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Cool.

Well, had a major setback today - Mom and Dad's Thanksgiving was today, and man, my mom can cook! I didn't think I ate that much, but when I stood up, wowzers.......today was my day to skip the gym also. Well, I took a couple of pretty large poo's, then worked all afternoon on hanging Christmas lights. Maybe I won't come out as bad as I think I did!

shunut
11-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow, I was just looking at the old thread earlier today.

Vike you know we are always here to help.

Medically speaking the best way to lose weight is diet and exercise.

Diet - Low calorie, below 2000 calories a day. Well balance high in fiber, protein and complex carbohydrates, low in fat and simple carbs.

Exercise - Any cardiovascular activity for 45 or more minutes.

Back when I was working in the medical field those were the guidelines we followed. Also remember its not all going to drop of instantly, they say 1 lb a week is good.

vikingshadow
11-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Yup, that's kinda what I was going on - cardio-wise, that is. 1 pound a week, or 5 a month. And man, it's super tough after you hit 40 yrs! When I was younger, I could drop 10 pounds like nothing....now, I get excited when I hit 3 pounds dropped.

shunut
11-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I know a way to lose big pounds fast but its not much fun. I've gone from 160 down to 135 now since the beginning of the year and I haven't even tried. Just get really sick and you'll drop pounds easily.

I haven't been to the gym since I can remember. Just no point because I can't do anything there. I have trouble walking up the stairs in my house so going to the gym just doesn't work. Kind of sucks. Surprisingly my doctor hasn't pushed me to go back just because there are so many people there and I would be at high risk of catching something.

Anyway, I'm sure if you put your mind to it Vike, you'll drop as much weight as you want.

Moe
11-27-2006, 10:46 AM
i gained some weight over thanksgiving. bummer. It seems that I lose weight while I'm at school, and gain it when I am home. The opposite of the freshman 15 i guess. haha.

Here is my diet at school:
Breakfast-Naked fruit drink
Lunch-Salad, usually with ranch dressing...I am getting away from that though. I am trying to use healthier dressings. Im on italian right now.
Dinner-Usually a plain chicken breast with catchup, usually soup if it is good, sometimes pizza, maybe another salad here and there.

I need to work on eating healthier for dinner. And, snacks are killing me. I purpously didnt bring much back from home this time. I'm trying to lose all the weight I gained for football in high school. My goal would be to get to 175-180. I am at 195 right now, and top out around 207 I think.

My workout schedule is kind of sketchy right now, because finals are coming up and papers and all that good stuff.

Hossy
11-27-2006, 11:38 AM
i gained some weight over thanksgiving. bummer. It seems that I lose weight while I'm at school, and gain it when I am home.

I have the same problem, but its the weekends. on the weekends i dont do alot, so i gain what i lost over the weekend.

I accually think walking around school does alot of help.

QAZ123
04-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I forgot about this thread but let's get it going again.

I've been on top of my fitness goals ever since I dumped my girlfriend right before Christmas. Everything is falling into place. I'm lighter than what I was last year but my bodyfat is down and I'm looking great.

I'll break down my routine tonight and might throw up some pics (there's a new one on my myspace default pic) I just wanted to up this thread while I was at work thinking about it.

JB.

vikingshadow
04-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I was thinking about this thread the other day.....

My wife and I bought a treadmill this year, and I've been putting a little over 6 miles a day (evening) on it. Burn an average of 900 calories each time (with incline from 0-4 and speed anywhere from 6.2 to 7.6 mph - I increase speed .2 mph every half mile - and run for an hour.) Problem is, I can't seem to get in a steady rhythm. I run a day (or two) then miss a day (or two.) I do manage to run at least 3-4 times a week, some weeks more, but stress, soreness, or just too busy/lazy seems to get in the way. It is MUCH nicer having it in the house than having to go to the gym, I guarantee that!

I've dropped 6 pounds since the end of Feb. beginning for March, though, and a total of probably 11 since December. And it's stayed off! My heart rate (Walmart machine check) has gone from about 100+ to less than 85 bps and blood pressure is lowering, though school is making it harder to get it low for now.

durrell
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I had gotten into an everyday routine but the end of the semester is not helping me at all. I've maintained the body weight I've wanted to, but I'm fairly sure I've cut some body fat and replaced some of the fat with my muscle. Especially my chest and arms. I've moved up about 20 pounds from about March on my bench..my max was 165 and it's not 185. I'm working out with 135-145 on the bench, along with other workouts.

My schedule is:

Monday
Bench - 145, 6x 1 set / 135, 6-8x 2 sets
Chest Press - 70, 6-8x 2 sets / 45 1 set 10x
Decline Bench - 135, 10x 2 sets
Free-weight bench 45, 8-10x 3 sets
Oblique Abs - 25 pound weight, 3 sets 10x
Sit-ups with ball - 3 sets 10-15x
20-30 minute cardio

Tuesday
Free-weight curls - 40, 8-10x 3 sets
Shrugs - 135, 8-10x 2 sets
Triceps (machine) - 3 sets
Curls (machine) - 3 sets
Oblique Abs - 25 pound weight, 3 sets 10 x
Sit-ups with ball - 3 sets 10-15x
Leg Press - 475, 10x 3 sets
20-25 minute cardio

Repeat Thursday/Friday

I haven't been sticking to that like I should, but around that is what I've been doing..I feel pretty good about it. I really need to focus on my abs though..I'm having a hard time getting them lol.

shunut
04-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty much at a stand still with my health waiting for new lungs. I'm here to help and give support as always though.

QAZ123
04-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Ok. Here's me pic taken yesterday.
http://a382.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/40/l_083e9ca57b031b05e63f1928a3147d0d.jpg

Stats-
5'8"

Routine-
Monday chest day
Tuesday biceps
Wednesday back/shoulders
Thursday legs
Friday triceps

Abs whenever I feel like it.

Everything is to failure on it's workout day. Like today for chest I did flat bench, wide grip flat bench, elbows out dips with a 25lb weight on a dip strap, incline dumbbell press and after all that I went over to a machine and did chest till I couldn't do anymore.

Legs are iffy since I've been having trouble with a pinched sciatic nerve since January. Lot's of time I just can't do them do to my problem.

Diet is clean. Getting pretty strict though cause I really had to flex to get my abs to show in the pic and I want them to show without having to do so. Cutting back on dairy and simple sugars should do the trick.

Supplementation at the moment-
Jungle Warfare
Bad A$$ Mass
Saw Palmetto
Daily multivitamin
Flax seed oil in gelcap form
Panax ginseng
Whey protein

Once I cycle off of the JW/BAM which is very soon I'll be taking controlled labs green bulge creatine supplement and there nitric oxide inhibitor. I've been on it twice and love it.

JB.

Maxx-Damage
04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
From the time i posted my "stats" ive managed to get 135 up(then have my left arm gve out on the 2nd rep), my leg power hasnt changed. But now to Bike season openign up and i made some new friends ive done 20plus miles a day, just not today cause my legs are still throbing. And im biking on a hardtail with downhill tires, not fun...

QAZ123
04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Anybody that's serious about weightlifting and want to try the JW/BAM cycle I would recommend it but read into it beforehand. I really didn't put on much muscle but I believe if I was bulking I would have though easily but I started cutting midway through (2 months) but just to give you an idea of what happened in this duration.

Chest max went from 175 to 201 and I still got a week left. Today I threw up 185 like it was nothing so 205-210 is probably in my sights next week.

Shoulder shrugs went from 210 x 2 to 250 x 4

Seated rows went from 150 x 2 to 180 x2 just two plates shy of pulling back the entire machine. Might happen wednesday gonna try it.

Squats dunno due to my sciatic nerve problems. I do know I went in two thursdays ago and did 15 sets of 220 x 15 on a smith machine (not all the way down that's why I'm having sciatic nerve problems now)

Workout weight for preacher curl went from 55 x 8 to 65 x8 with a max of 95 x2

Triceps are I have no idea. Me and a buddy did an complete tricep workout I ended it with close grip bench press and had 135 on there for sets. We then did elbows in dips for 10 sets of I think 12 or 15 can't remember then one last set go till you can't do anymore I think I did 17. That was my best day.

Stuff is awesome. Have to go off the cycle for a month but I'll probably get back on it though.

JB.

QAZ123
04-30-2007, 06:05 PM
I benched 205 today x1 and that was after doing 145 3x8, 165 1x8, 185 1x6, 195 1x6 so I'm thinking I could have went higher but that's good for now I'm happy with it. I actually don't really care but eh....

Started a new conditioning routine with a heavy bag. 10 minutes of punching/elbows followed by 10 minutes of kicks/knees on a 80 lb heavy bag. I liked it but I just took a lot of hair off my knees and chins lol.

Everything else is going well.

JB.

vikingshadow
06-11-2007, 01:02 PM
OK, got on the scale today (after running at least every other day for a month or more) and was not happy at all! I've lost at 8 pounds since January, but have hit a wall - mainly due to eating constantly (and not eating correctly at that!)

Soooooo, I spent the better part of the day setting up a new workout program - on my new laptop whooo hoooo! I have the rest of June, all of July and a little over half of August to lose at least 20 pounds...

Now, that seems like a lot, but really - losing at least 2-3 pounds a week for 11-12 weeks = 20 - 24 pounds. Anywho - my plan is to do my working out (what I did a year or so ago) in the mornings or early afternoon this summer, and run in the evening. Now, my runs have averaged 60 minues, approx. 5.5 miles and burning a little more than 800 calories. You'd think with just that, I'd be dropping weight like crazy, but like I said - summertime is hard on me as far as being bored and doing the bored eating thing...

So, starting today, I plan on losing 20 pounds by the start of school. Anyone else have a plan for the summer?

Hossy
06-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Anyone else have a plan for the summer?

I weigh about 250 now.... So im 16 and 6 7... not too bad. I want to loose some fat weight and put it back on with muscle weight. Over the last school year ive added ~20 pounds in muscle. Im proud of that but i got to keep lifting, so loosing weight isnt as bad as Gaining Muscle weight. I play basketball, so all summer im going to be active, but i have planned to run about 3 miles in the morning every morning after school gets out (Wednesday woo!) and then lift at the gym.

Theheroguy
06-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I benched 165 on friday...

Warnichek
06-14-2007, 06:34 AM
I have been saying for 3 months now that i am going to run on the old treadmill but it never happens. Tipping the scales now at 210 and i can tell exactly where it is at. My gut. I am by no means fat but i can feel my belly move when i run now. that has never happened before. My job has changed a little in that I am now at a desk more and not in the field working as much.. I think that has a lot to do with it. I just don't see how i can get motivated enough to get off the chair at home an run.

vikingshadow
06-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Only way I can do it is to tell myself straight up "I have to lose weight, I'm fat." Then, the only way I can do it is in front of the television and then I have to pretty much tell myself all day that I have to run tonight. However, it is getting easier to do it - it's kind of like a drug habit. When it starts getting close to time to run, I start watching the clock, and debating whether I should do it or not, then I just do it to stop thinking about it!

Could you maybe move the treadmill into your living room? I find that's the easiest way to get started - it's right there in the way! My wife didn't like it at first, but after I explained to her that it was just for a little while and I really wanted to lose the weight - she gave in, for a couple of weeks! Then it got moved into our bedroom in front of the television in there.

I've ran every day since last Friday (5.5 miles or more each day - man, my legs are killing me!) amd done a weight lifing thing and aerobic thing every other day since Monday. Haven't dropped much weight, a few pounds - when I was younger I would have dropped almost 10 pounds doing this - but I keep telling myself not to get discouraged because it's only been a week that I've been doing this steady and hard. The worst part is that I'm at home all day and the food is right there....but I've been keeping myself somewhat busy with chores and honey-do's.

You can do it, Warnichek. We'll be here to support ya!

chubb0rz
06-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Yea I've been working on this over the past few weeks. I've had to put paintball on pause for a bit and that cut out most of my exercise since we would practice/train almost 4 times a week. But I've resorted to working out every night, just missing the cardio.

I've been busy trying to get everything I need inline for school but now that is has calmed down I can get to sleep early and get back to my morning run to help shed the weight. And being 21 is no help at all, I'll have to cut back ;)

Hossy
06-30-2007, 06:45 PM
So ummm...
any new updates?

Personally, i have athsma, and my running has greatly been increased....which i have been working hard on

vikingshadow
06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
On the positive, my heart rate is down.

On the negative, not my weight. In fact, I'm noticing that even if I don't cheat on eating, and run every day, I stay the exact same. I'm actually considering having my thyroid checked....

Oh, and for some reason, everytime I run, I have splitting pains in my feet and legs. Not sure I'm going to be able to keep this up. May have to start walking (blech!)

It surely sucks to get old...I'm actually starting to wonder if it's worth it to stay the same weight I was when I wasn't working so hard.

Hossy
06-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh, and for some reason, everytime I run, I have splitting pains in my feet and legs. Not sure I'm going to be able to keep this up. May have to start walking (blech!)

VIKE!
you dont seem to be streching, or if you are, not streching completely correct.

if u want some ideas to help, PM me

vikingshadow
06-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I do stretch, but probably/definitely not as good as I should be. When I stretch my calves, my feet hurt BAD the next day (self diagnosed plantar faciaitus - that thick muscle that runs along the bottom of your foot.) Funny thing is, when I felt I really stretched good, it hurt worse when I ran!

I'll start stretching like I used to and see what happens...

Hossy
06-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I do stretch, but probably/definitely not as good as I should be. When I stretch my calves, my feet hurt BAD the next day (self diagnosed plantar faciaitus - that thick muscle that runs along the bottom of your foot.) Funny thing is, when I felt I really stretched good, it hurt worse when I ran!

I'll start stretching like I used to and see what happens...

When you strech your calves, how do you do it?

vikingshadow
07-01-2007, 06:58 AM
I stand on the edge of my porch and raise up on one foot (wearing shoes.) Then I slowly lower it all the way down past the edge of the porch and hold it there for about a count of 15 then I slowly raise up again and switch legs.

If that's too painful, I'll find a wall, lift my toes on one foot (wearing shoes, of course), place the bottom of them with my heal on the floor, and put it against the wall. Then I'll step into the wall (very close to the wall) while my toes are against the wall. Kind of like your standard shin splint stretch, but with part of your foot up on the wall.

wylde01
07-01-2007, 03:18 PM
ok i need some help now if someone here can. as a july resolution i am starting to exercise and hopefully workout to gain muscle. with all this going on im not sure on what to be eating (because i eat alot of junk right now). can someone help me with some sort of meal plan to eat right? forgot to say that im 5'8 and only weigh 120 lbs.