PDA

View Full Version : Pooter geek advice.........

DRAGON
11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Any pooter geeks here? I have a VAIO pooter and I beleive the top DVD/CD player i going/gone. The second CD player works just fine. Whenever I play movies on it lately some movies play all the way through and some won't make it all the way to the end before the screen shot just freezes. The ones that play all the way through are shorter movies than the ones that stop towards the end. It's almost like the player hits a certain point and something internally is out of whack preventing it from continuing. The drawer is messed up as well. I usually have to push the button about 5 - 10 times before it will open. I've ruled out the software since as I said, some movies play all the way through no prob -

This has been a gradual thing. In the past it used to pause for a short while but continue the movie. Now it just outright stops even if I jump ahead to an advanced portion of the movie when I first put it in -

I'd like to just buy the player and install it myself. I've taken parts out of this thing and installed them before like the fan to clean it but never messed with the players. Everything seems modular like I could remove the casing, then the player after removing the plug. Thing is, I wouldn't know where to get a replacement. I'd say it would need a specific player but don't know how to decipher which to get. Anyone know how to figure out which player to get and a good online place to buy parts? -

durrell
11-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Something like this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2271188&Sku=N27-1894) would probably suit you just fine. It's a combo drive that plays and burns DVDs and CDs. There should be just 2-3 plugs in the back that you unplug, then unscrew the old drive and pull it out and slide this one in the same way. There's different options on that same website for different colors and prices in case you're concerned about matching them up. It definitely sounds like bad drive though. At the very least the eye could be dirty, in which you could try finding one of those DVD drive cleaners, but when a brand new one is only 18 bucks..you could just save yourself the trouble and fix the problem by getting a new one.

Edit: From the same site, scroll down on the same page and you will see "How to Install Optical Drives" with a green screw driver beside it.

Hope that helps.

vwjimmy
11-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Just make sure the jumpers are set the same on the new drive as the ones on the old one you are removing. Some manufactures use "CS" or "Cable Select" and some use Master/Slave....
Just match them and your ready to go! :)

leed
11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I have found that a lot of times playing a DVD in a computer it will just stop in the middle, simply because it gets uber hot.

As Doc said, a cheap combo drive like that will do wonders, and will rip your pocket out. Installation is simple, as vwjimmy said, just make sure to set the connections correctly. I never knew that CD drives had master/slave.. Thought that was solely HDD's.. Anyways, it shouldn't be difficult. So long as you know how to compare one thing to another, and use a screw driver.. Then again, it's drago..

DRAGON
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys. This Dragon is most greatful. My local pooter guy wanted $90 to install a drive. I thought putting one in myself might save a few bucks but had no idea that they could be had for a mere $20 lol. My pooter's about 3-4 years old so I'm not sure if that's considered old or not. Cost me $1800 then and I see ones with the same capacity now for under $500. :o Thanks again, especially the link. Any other links or info would be helpful as well -

badlandsrox
11-20-2006, 09:37 PM
wait, i had the same problem, its your video card thats failing you, just get a new video card, and posssibly a new cooling system, depending on the size of your computer

durrell
11-20-2006, 10:11 PM
wait, i had the same problem, its your video card thats failing you, just get a new video card, and posssibly a new cooling system, depending on the size of your computer

? I don't see why the video card would only fail during DVD playback..sounds like a drive problem to me.

Halucin8
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I highly doubt it is a vid card. Sounds like the eye isnt able to make a complete travel anymore. Have you tried a cd that has a full 80 mins on it and does it do the same. it prolly will. if you install it and it doesn't work the pins amy be an issue like jimmy siad but some drives do not like cs(cable select) so if that is where it is now and you put it there on the new one and it doesn't work then if the drive is hooked to the end of the flat ribbon cable pin it at slave and it should work. if it is in the middle pin it at master.

bigred76
11-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a burned out motor inside the drive to me... Just my thoughts, though. I'd pick up another drive at a surplus store for cheap.

DFSniper
11-21-2006, 03:28 AM
happened to my VAIO once... the top drive just stopped working for a while. it wouldnt play games, but music still worked. then we did something and it works fine now.

go to www.newegg.com and they have dvd drives for under $30

vwjimmy
11-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Here is a DVD/RW
DVD/RW Drive (http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-SH-S182D-18X-Super-WriteMaster-DVD-RW-NERO-NEW_W0QQitemZ300048250099QQihZ020QQcategoryZ51070Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
and here is a DVD play only drive
DVD Drive (http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Beige-16x-DVD-ROM-Drive-w-PowerDVD-5-NEW_W0QQitemZ220050618673QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3754QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Good Luck!

badlandsrox
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
? I don't see why the video card would only fail during DVD playback..sounds like a drive problem to me.

well, seeing as how its the video card, it controls the playback of videos, and stuff like that, and nothing else is affected, as they do not run off the video card, therefore, are not affected in any way, shape, or form by that, the exception being that it may slow down the system.

Dragon, BTW, do you have Direct X installed on your system?

DRAGON
11-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Thx for more info guys - ;)

Dragon, BTW, do you have Direct X installed on your system?

Huh? - :confused:

Hob Hayward
11-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Dx is not at all neccissary to watch DVD's.

Do what Bigred said, play a cd through and see if it comes up coughing. If it does, just pick up a new drive at www.newegg.com

badlandsrox
11-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Dx is not at all neccissary to watch DVD's.

Yeah, i know, but it has diagnostic stuff, and can tell you what is wrong with your computer.