PDA

View Full Version : Spent the day in a cave

vikingshadow
11-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I just got back from taking my family to the Alabaster Caverns State Park. If your ever in this part of the country, it's worth it to go. Heck, if you've never been to a cave system before, you should go when you get the chance. It's like a whole other world, and NOTHING like the movies.....

I've never been inside a cave like this before, so it was pretty amazing to me. I learned quite a lot, actually! There are 44,000 bats that live in these caves, and several species. The males actually don't hang upside down with the group, but choose to stay in pairs in random areas. There were raccoon tracks all the way into the middle of the cave, which shocked me - it's plenty dark in there!

Cool thing is, they allow "Wild Caving", which is exploring caves that aren't part of the tour. I actually thought about going there to apply for a summer job, but I'm not to fond of poisonous snakes, and they have 3 different types of rattlesnakes in that area, so yeah.....

Here's a link to it (http://www.touroklahoma.com/detail.asp?id=1+5U+920)- not a great link, but there are others....Anyone else ever been to a cave system before?

Hossy
11-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I learned quite a lot, actually!

I thought you were the teach, vike!

i went to a cave like 2 years ago, there simply amazing

taurinic
11-11-2006, 04:01 PM
i went to one in virginia, it was pretty cool

vwjimmy
11-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I have been to Mammoth Caves here in KY...just awesome :)

Hob Hayward
11-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I've been to a few caves, one in Puerto Rico and one somewhere in the western united states. The best one by far though was going spelunking in upperstate new york on a class field trip (small private school=fun field trips). It was awesome.

newkid
11-11-2006, 04:30 PM
yeah me 2

colonel_moo
11-11-2006, 04:38 PM

yeah, ive been to Mammoth caves too... simply breathtaking

bamf-hacker
11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Vike, they are awesome aren't they...

We have been to the Luray Caverns (http://www.luraycaverns.com/) in Virginia. It is an amazing place to visit and you leave in awe of the sites.

If any of you get a chance to go it is well worth it. One piece of advise, no matter what time of year you go, bring a jacket. It gets mighty cold that far underground.

Here are a few pics:

http://www.luraycaverns.com/images/saracen_pic_right.jpg

http://www.luraycaverns.com/images/double_pic_right.jpg

DRAGON
11-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Stalagtites and stalagmites, which point up and which down is the question? Nice to visit a cave but I being a Dragon live in one year round. Next time you wanna visit a cave, give me a holla and I'll shoo all the bats and clean up teh guano - ;)

marvin-martian
11-11-2006, 08:03 PM
when i was in elementary school i remembered which is which by saying "stalactites hold on tight" meaning that that hold on the the ceiling and dont fall

durrell
11-11-2006, 08:23 PM
You spent the whole day in a cave and still didn't find Osama?

:dodgy: I've been to Linville Caverns in NC. The fish and wildlife in there and just how different it is from anywhere else on the surface is just breathtaking.

DRAGON
11-11-2006, 08:26 PM
My neuro-association is the simple difference of the 't' and 'm' of both words. I relate the 't' to 't'op hence stalagtites are attached to the top -

calebh
11-11-2006, 08:41 PM
i went to the inner space caverns in texas once. it was pretty tight. one of these days, im gonna get around to seeing carlsbad caverns... anyone seen it before?

vikingshadow
11-12-2006, 04:45 AM
The cool thing about this particular cave is that they are only one of three in the entire world that contains black alabaster (the whole cave is filled with red, pink and white alabaster, hence the name). There's this one, one in India, and I think one in China...because the rock inside was so soft, it couldn't support the stalac-ta-whatever hangs from the top. There were a bunch of those little itty bitty ones that were about 4 inches long, and they were encased in a shell so that was it for that.

There were a lot of domes in there caused from whirlpools of water that had seeped in through the rock (we, Oklahoma, were under an inland ocean - she said the Persian Sea?) a long time ago and these whirlpools went about 75000 years and carved out intricate domes in the rocks.

It was pretty cool in there - they'd light the alabaster and crystal/gypsum from behind and it'd be lit up like a table lamp. The kids were just fascinated by it...I've lived in this part of the country for most of my life and never been there - driven by them several hundred times and never just turned in....

I thought about giving you a call, Drago....but with your recent toe injury and the fact that you normally EAT your visitors......well, you know!

MadMan66
11-12-2006, 02:24 PM
yeah, i've been to Mammoth Cave twice

Hob Hayward
11-12-2006, 02:57 PM
i went to the inner space caverns in texas once. it was pretty tight. one of these days, im gonna get around to seeing carlsbad caverns... anyone seen it before?
Ah yes, I went to carlsbad caverns once, it was quite cool.

rowdyroper2003
11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey Vike, It was the Permian Sea, which was around 250 million years ago, in the aptly named "Permian" period, which proceeds the Triassic period, in which dinosaurs showed up. A lot of the limestone with shells in it you might see on buildings came from the bottom of the Permian Sea...

I knew being a Geology major would come in handy someday!

If you get a chance to vacation in Texas, try out Natural Bridge Caverns...they have a great setup there, it's really popular here (here as in Texas, not Houston lol)

Angel69
11-12-2006, 05:59 PM
havent any of you people ever seen the movie descent? jesus i wanna watch someone watch that then go into a cave!
:D

kidonfire
11-12-2006, 06:08 PM
We have a place called Karchner Caverns here in AZ. Ithas one of the worlds longest soda straws. It's so long that they won't let you go near it because your vibrations could break it. I've also been to Carlsbad Caverns.

DRAGON
11-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I thought about giving you a call, Drago....but with your recent toe injury and the fact that you normally EAT your visitors......well, you know!

Been eating alot of Chinese lately so not to worry unless my cravings suddenly change hee hee - ;)

vikingshadow
11-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Permian - ok, that makes MORE sense than Persian! I asked the tour guide twice and it sounded like she said Persian - even my wife thought she said that. Now that you mention it, I think I had heard of the Permian sea before. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

My wife and I kept mentioning the movie The Cave when they turned the lights off to get us uncomfortable in the dark. Me, being the smart ass that I am, when the lights went off just blurted out in the dark, "Hey, stop grabbing me there!" I meant to embarass my wife, but when the lights came on, the female tour guide was right in front of me (she had moved in the dark without us knowing it....) and my wife was way away from me! I didn't know who was more embarassed - her or me!

Nader
11-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Been eating alot of Chinese lately so not to worry unless my cravings suddenly change hee hee - ;)

I guess I won't bring my friend Mr. Chang to see you anytime soon....:D

vikingshadow
11-12-2006, 06:24 PM

Yeah, but you know what happens when you eat Chinese. 30 minutes later....

rowdyroper2003
11-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Me, being the smart ass that I am, when the lights went off just blurted out in the dark, "Hey, stop grabbing me there!" I meant to embarass my wife, but when the lights came on, the female tour guide was right in front of me (she had moved in the dark without us knowing it....) and my wife was way away from me! I didn't know who was more embarassed - her or me!

hahaha that is hilarious!