PDA

View Full Version : Mod stock switch or buy 50g?

Jobberwocky
11-11-2006, 01:02 AM
I got an old imagine frame and was wondering what the stock trigger pull is (100g, isn't it?)

I figure if I knew this, then I could lighten the stock switch until it takes about 1/2 the original pressure to close it, so that I'm around 50g...

When modding the switch, is it easy to get the pull way too light? Just seeing if I should get a 50g for 4-5$ and keep stock as backup, or mod stock and if I don't like it, buy the 50g.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

[Also, could someone post the link to the how-to switch mod, I can't find it :P]

vikingshadow
11-11-2006, 03:55 AM
I believe the stock switch is quite a bit more than 100 grams. I think it's more than 250, for some reason, 500 g is jumping out in my head....

Anywho - here's the link for ya. (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=4961)

It's not hard to do at all, and if you get it too light, just go back in and fix it! I've modded about 20 of these things and it gets easier every time.

LowTrunkOzz
11-11-2006, 05:49 AM
I bought SPPS' 50 gr and love it. I still have the stock one that I mod'd myself, and it feels like it's about the same pull as the 50 gr. It's easy to do even if you're not the most mechanically inclined. Vike's partially right, it is stock 250 gr.

nate

Xyxyll
11-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Personally I'd be less comfortable with the reliability of a modded switch, since you are in essence modifying a switch's internals that were never designed for lighter activation. You're basically putting slack in a spring designed to be tight. This will certainly slow down the button's return rate. I suppose my opinion could be considered biased based on my products, but perhaps my opinion is why I started selling 50g switches in the first place. ;)

Anyways, there's really no reason for you not to try and modify your stock switch. Should you run into difficulties, you can contact X-Customs, SPPS, or ScenarioDreams for a replacement.

Jobberwocky
11-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Alright, so I remember hearing about people inverting/reversing their switch...what is meant by that and does it really reduce trigger pull?

Xyxyll
11-12-2006, 05:56 PM
If you flip the switch over and have the button on the top rather than the bottom, you will experience a lighter trigger pull but also a longer trigger pull (lever concept).

Jobberwocky
11-12-2006, 07:05 PM
thats what i figured, i concluded the exact same thing...

Ares
11-12-2006, 07:23 PM
personally, i think modded switches feel better than buying a new switch. modded switches have shorter, crisper pulls in my experience

Jobberwocky
11-28-2006, 09:04 AM
i modded the switch. it only took me like 1 minute, def worth it. but the trigger doesn't return as fast - thats the only problem (I have FBM delrin)

druid
11-28-2006, 09:41 AM
i modded the switch. it only took me like 1 minute, def worth it. but the trigger doesn't return as fast - thats the only problem (I have FBM delrin)

now do the magnet mod and you are set! "Bible" link in my sig...

Jobberwocky
11-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I would do otters but the FBM trigger's design doesn't allow it...

Jobberwocky
12-13-2006, 10:15 PM
i kinda undid my lightening of the switch and I think now its a good compromise between lighter trigger pull and good return...

Oscum Guy
12-18-2006, 12:20 PM
i say mod stock switch. i did it and it works well and is very light.

Jobberwocky
12-18-2006, 05:38 PM
yea, if you can get a magnetic return, then you could make it rather light, but since the return of the switch returned my trigger, I couldn't make it too light...

Oscum Guy
12-19-2006, 03:38 PM
what kind of gun is this on. onn my e99 avant did the mod and took out the spring and it returns just fine. oh its an imagine. that gun has the same trigger frame as mine. dont know why it doesnt work.

Jobberwocky
12-19-2006, 11:15 PM
I have a FBM delrin trigger on an imagine egrip and it wasn't returning fast enough when it was too light, so I toughened up the pull and it returns good now, but trigger pull is tougher unfortunately. Also, the fbm trigger has no place to install magnets :(