PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veteran's Day!

vikingshadow
11-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Dear Veterans,

I want to say thank you. I want to let you know that you are truly appreciated. I want you to know that these are not empty words that come on a day where we're "supposed" to say these things but rather words that have come from several years of watching and learning what you do for me, a regular American citizen.

I want to say thank you for being in-between me and the opposing forces of the world, doing what you are asked to do and what it takes, day after day, even if it means you are risking life and limb to do so. Whether you volunteered, were drafted, went in on the college program or to make a new career choice, not really knowing or understanding the risks at first, you stayed anyways and you did what you came to realize, or already knew, was your duty in the name of Freedom. All the while you did this while being removed from your family, your closest friends and your homes while I stayed at home and carried on with my life.

I want to thank those that served in previous wars, and those serving in wars today, as well as those who are serving, but aren't necessarily in a "combat area." You are truly heroes, and you do this without realizing it, nor having the super abilities that we sometimes link our "super heroes" to.

I want to thank you for not listening to the nay-sayers in the world, whether they be foreign or domestic, and standing up for their rights to believe whatever it is they believe in. I want to say thank you for ignoring the politics of a country that is torn - they say it isn't about you, the American soldier, but about our government; however it comes to you in a bitter way, and for that I want to apologize. You are truly appreciated, and I wanted to tell you that.

Thank you for giving me the chance to be who I am today. Without you putting your life on the line for freedom, I wouldn't be able to say or do many of the things I love and like doing today. I'm a teacher and work at a job I love because you and those like you made it possible.

Thomas Jefferson said, "The tree of Freedom needs watered with the blood of patriots." Thank you for giving us a wonderful tree to shade us, to keep us cool in the heat of the world's problems, and a home to protect us when the cold comes beating on our door.

Thanks for reading this and understanding that there are those of us who are eternally grateful for the American soldier and veteran. Believe me, the little white table is set at my school, and at my house in honor of you.

Sincerely,

Bryce "Vikingshadow"

Gunny462
11-11-2006, 04:25 AM
Thank you V.S from an old retired fart and for those of you still serving, I thank you as well.

durrell
11-11-2006, 08:36 AM
All the soldiers are my heroes, past, present, and future. :flag:

God Bless America, and our soldiers. :up:

paintball 1
11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
very well put vikingshadow. the viet nam vets were disgraced when they came home. now they have the respect. we all did our part. whether in country or not. all vets are heros. if you meet a vet shake their hand for a job well done!