PDA

View Full Version : J&J-More distance modification

jon1108
11-07-2006, 08:38 PM
hey guys, wanted to share this with all players using JJ ceramics.if you noticed on the barrel there are way toooo many ported holes.this decreases the velocity when the pb exits the muzzle. Easy and Best solution to get more distance is to use a plumbing or electrical tape and tape some of the holes.Works wonders for me.Test it n let us know if it works for you!:)

DRAGON
11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Taping the ports makes for a louder report. Using tape on a barrel or anywhere on your marker for that matter, makes for a sticky mess as well but ya, will give you better efficiency. It really doesn't give better distance it simply ups the velocity from less gas expelled from the ports. Same difference i suppose -

new_Faction64
11-08-2006, 03:32 AM
Cool mod, I have been wanting to do that for a while, I would not mind the sound, and I want better efficiency.

DRAGON is right though, it wont give better distance, because higher velocity doesnt usually translate to much more distance.

vikingshadow
11-08-2006, 03:36 AM
When I made my Spyder LP, I had a J&J and taped up the barrel with electrical tape. Worked ok, but definitely no better distance. All it does is make it more efficient and louder, as Dragon said.

jon1108
11-08-2006, 08:21 PM
are you referring efficiency as in accuracy or efficiency by not hogging gas??But yeah...its loud....scare the crap out of the rental cannon fodders..hehe.

DRAGON
11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Efficiency as in more shots per tank with the tape -

Voodoo27909
11-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I always had been told that tape over the holes (...or even some of the holes) = air getting around to the front of the paintball during its travel down the barrell...thus causing erratic flight characteristics and lower FPS. Iv never actually put the theory to test....but I do know why the holes are actually there, to exhaust gasses that are no longer serving any useful purpose before they can work their way around the paintball. Any other thoughts on this theory?

jon1108
11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Theory .....more pressure = higher velocity(as in the barrel).take a car exhaust system for an example. a car with single straight through exhaust piping has a quicker accelaration than a car with two exhaust. just my 2 cents!

vikingshadow
11-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Yes, that theory is correct. However, remember that you must always chrono at 300 fps or less. The velocity that it gets to that speed is irrelevant due to the restrictions for safety. Physics dictates that the ball is NOT going to go any further than another ball shot 300 fps through any other barrel in perfect conditions, the exceptions being the flatline and the apex which put unnatural spin on the ball.

Taping up the holes WILL give you a little bit more pressure behind the ball, so you have to lower the FPS to allow for that, hence - no further shooting or velocity. The biggest result you will see is greater efficiency and noise level, not distance.

jon1108
11-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Well theorethically ur right. But i somehow do get better distance and the pb does break upon impact.Not removing the tape anytime soon :)

DRAGON
11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Did I by some chance sell you some pixy dust? - :smirk:

druid
11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
:sending over some gremlins: