PDA

View Full Version : My computer sucks

ad0131065
01-12-2006, 06:23 AM
Ok everytime i turn on my computer it automatically goes into safe mode, the mouse wont work and its pissing me off. Does anyone know how to get it out of safe mode?

DexGtr
01-12-2006, 06:51 AM
what OS are you using...?

ad0131065
01-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Windows ME

Xecutiv3
01-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Hmmm... maybe pressing F8 during bootup will take you to the options menu to be able to start it up normally/in safe mode

big_daddy_d
01-12-2006, 10:08 AM
A good swift kick to the tower strategically placed in the hard drive region always works for me

DexGtr
01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Windows ME

that's your problem right there LOL. anyway yeah

Windows 98/Me

Restart the computer.
Just after the POST diagnostics and memory count, start pressing the F8 key
On the Startup Menu choose normal.

if you don't see the Startup menu let it boot then

Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK

In the System Configuration Utility, on the General Tab, click the Advanced Button

In the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings dialog box, check "Enable Start-up Menu." under the Advanced Menu, then click OK and restart your computer

when you done...just uncheck the "Enable Start-up Menu."

hope that helps..or get a hammer.:D

bigred76
01-12-2006, 10:59 AM
LOL! Hammers always fix everything...especially my 23oz framing. :D

ad0131065
01-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I guess i have a virus on it b/c i pressed F8 and did normal startup and it still did the same thing.......

Nader
01-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I fix your computer....give you Hard Drive for free!!!!
lol just playin' I know nothing about computers...just how to use 'em enough to get what I need done...I wish I could help.

colonel_moo
01-12-2006, 12:35 PM
if you cant fix it, reformating is always an option. just put in your windows CD, and boot from that, then follow the instructions to reformat. remember that reformating is erasing ALL the data on your hard drive, so make sure you backup all your documents and imporant stuff right away. its actually a good idea to do that anyway right now, even if you dont reformat, cuz it sounds like your computer is going to take a dump soon, and at least you wont lose all your work.

ad0131065
01-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I would but i dont have the cd,my mom bought this computer used

claustrophobia9
01-12-2006, 12:50 PM
its probibly best that it is in safe mode, it probibly has like 100 viruses.

colonel_moo
01-12-2006, 01:04 PM
if its a really crappy computer, you might want to think about installing linux. linux uses less resources than windows, so it will run faster/smoother. it comes with pretty much everything you need for normal computer use, the only thing bad about it is compatability issues. alot of things (e.g. games) arent compatable for linux. if you computer is really crappy however, this probably wont be a problem anyway. the best part is its free!

this is the distro i use:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

you can either download it from there, and burn it to a CD, or have them send you a CD.

DexGtr
01-12-2006, 01:09 PM
recommending Linux to someone not very knowledgable about computers is like suicide :D

best thing is yes reformat...from my side here i can't really tell what's wrong with you comp...

maybe you could find some windows 98, i heard there are now websites which lets you download it free since MS don't care about it anymore., besides 98 is better than Me, Me usually crashes.

colonel_moo
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
well Ubuntu is pretty simple. unless you are doing stuff like installing windows emulators to play games on linux etc. it shouldnt be a problem. plus, by the sound of his computer, it cant support a whole lot more than whats already on there. it already comes with mozilla firefox (web browser), an AIM program (gaim), email programs, a full set of office programs, etc. pretty much everything you need. plus, you can download/use the "live CD" to try it without actually installing it. it would just run alot slower because its actually running off the CD and not your harddrive.

plus, the website www.ubuntuforums.org has pretty much all the information you need to use it.

you are right though Dex, if you are absoultely computer illiterate, i wouldnt get it without atleast trying it first.

claustrophobia9
01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
linux = meh. id look for an me reset disk at computer places / ask around / ebay

ad0131065
01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
so how would i set up linux if i downloaded it and would i be able to use AIM?

colonel_moo
01-12-2006, 02:01 PM
well before you go and install linux, i suggest running the "live CD" first. basically what that does is you boot from the CD, and its a preview of the operating system, and it it doesnt delete anything off your computer. im not sure if you can download it from their website, but you can have them send you the "pressed" CDs, and it will come with a live CD.

yes, you can use AIM.