PDA

View Full Version : DRAGON stiffed teh waitress!

DRAGON
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Ya you read it right, I stiffed the damned waitress! She was asking for it so I gave her teh ol stiffie right where it hurts! Right in her..............

..........pocketbook! That's right, I didn't leave her a damned thing tonight. I was at one of my fav all you can eat Chinese and ate $50 worth the shrimp, steak and shrooms for ten bucks. :D When I got there she looked but didn't deliver for about 10 minutes......teh Pepsi of course. "Yes, I'd like a Pessi!" :o

Gets my ton of food and not once all the time there did she ask if I wanted a refill. I finally got up and got my own. Then she acted like, "OMG.......I'll get it for you" as I was on my way for the refill. NVM lady :rolleyes: I'll get my own. I had 2 empty plates sitting on my table all the time I was there. Since this is an all you can eat, she essentially did nothing but bring me a first Pepsi lol - :mad:

My Bad or are you supposed to tip the waitress whether she gives you good or bad service? I'm at times to the extreme; if I get extraordinary service I go above and beyond the normal expected 15%. If they put the 15% on my bill, I tell them I'm not paying for it because I tip by service, not what's automatically expected or imposed upon my bill. If I got great service, that could be changed but I don't like anyone telling me 'what I will tip'. If someone throws the menu at me, is rude, forgets what I asked for, yano.....general disrespect or neglect, there's a great chance that they will get nothing at all -

So.....my bad or are you just supposed to tip no matter what goes on? - :cool:

durrell
11-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I dunno about others, but I'm the same way..if she just doesn't decide to ever come wait on me then I might throw some spare change on the table. But if I have a really good waitress I may leave 3 or 4 bucks by myself, not including what my buddies leave.

Can't blame you for that one..I'd have done the same thing.

Halucin8
11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
I always leave something even if it is just a nickel. So that she can't think that i just forgot. i leave a nickel so she knows i thought about it and was not happy. if they give me good service it is not uncommon to get a 20%+ tip. But it falls rapidly if she doesn't do what she is supposed to do.

newkid
11-03-2006, 05:14 PM
I <3 chinese food

Drefish99
11-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Was this a Buffet? I never tip at a Buffet cuz I figure I gotta get my own food and I usually do a good job of just cleaning up after myself and not make much of a mess so I usually don't leave anything. I figure she can't really spit in my food specificly anyway. :D

big_daddy_d
11-03-2006, 05:38 PM
there was a group of 15 of us went to cheesecake factory, the waitresses did not know their head from a hole in the ground and service was crappy. Manager got cussed out 3 or 4 times, 18%gratuity was waved and you're damn right we didn't leave a tip...

vwjimmy
11-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I always leave something even if it is just a nickel. So that she can't think that i just forgot. i leave a nickel so she knows i thought about it and was not happy.
Me too! I will leave a penny or two so they know that I didn't 'stiff' them, but I was unhappy with the service. You know, I understand if they are slammed...but if they are just working on not serving me, well...its penny time!

DRAGON
11-03-2006, 06:10 PM
there was a group of 15 ...

Is that a hint bigD? This weekend for sure my friend lol. Sry for teh delay - ;)

Ya Dre, it was a buffet but I normally tip at least a buck per person since they are supposed to take your plate(s) and refill your drinks. I normally get good service there but IDK what happened tonight. Irregardless, they didn't get a red cent tonight lol - :smirk:

I thought about the penny thing but all I had was bills and no change at all -

vikingshadow
11-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty picky about tipping. Which is pretty dangerous since this is a smaller community with not that many places to eat out at...

I figure the waitress gets a paycheck from the restaurant to bring me my FIRST drink and my food. From that point on, she's working for a tip - that means ask me multiple times if I'd like a refill, and ask me how the food was multiple times - basically fall all over herself to make my eating time a pleasant experience. If I have to wait to get a full glass, then the tip goes down. If I wait very long, or she never shows back up, no tip whatsoever - I don't care if it insults her or not.

Buffets, I never tip - I have to do all the walking. That is unless the waitress really goes out of her way to clean our table and bring me drinks. As far as cleaning up, my wife used to waitress when she was younger and she always cleans our table up when we're finished - drives me nuts!

Jimmyd24
11-03-2006, 07:51 PM
well considering the fact that waitress get 2.75 an hour, i usually will give them at least like 2 dollars as a bare minimum
but i know wut u mean when the waitresses are jsut plain retraded

xtraking
11-03-2006, 07:58 PM
well being in the restaraunt business myself, ive never gotten less then 15% Sometimes people are jerks to me, but i try and just stay the same hoping they lay out the $$$$ I am a big people person though and i'm a pretty hard worker so it does help alot. I totally agree with you dragon, but alot of servers i work with do it to pay their bills and stuff, and rememebr servers only get tips. Jimmyd, their hourly wage (which is usually around 2.50 2.75) is just enough to cover taxes they dont get any of that wage. But dont worry im not saying you shouldnt of stiffed her, alot of times at places like that, getting stiffed on a tip hurts your night alot. But look at it this way, maybe the server will think, "hey maybe i have to work a little harder to get the money?" Servers at my work tell the manager and the manager asks the customer to leave the tip which i think is rediculous unless the customer forgot. I mean nobody has to tip me or any server anything, thats why its a tip.

TL;DR- In order to make money, you gotta work hard as a server. If you dont work hard, too bad.

claustrophobia9
11-03-2006, 08:24 PM
my friends and i overtip cuz we know the waiters hate it when we come in and waste their time. we rounded up to like 25% one time

Nenkitsune
11-03-2006, 08:31 PM
meh, i tip 50% where i work, because i get 50% off. but see, i work at a hibachi steak resturaunt (japanese resturant where they cook in front of you) the server has to tip out the chef, the busser, and the bartender (if any drinks were made) leaving whatver is left to the server. if you stiff teh server, then they have to pay tips out of their own pocket. so where i work, you're expected to tip even if the server sucked, because the chef had to cook the food in front of you.

Nader
11-03-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm a server, one of the best at my establishment.....and I have this to say.

Servers make ALL of their money off of tips, the $2 or so they make an hour all goes to Uncle Sam because of having to claim tips now. :mad:

I'll leave %10 if the service was extra crappy....but thats the minimum, to most servers who know anything....%10 is an insult or it just means those people shouldn't be going out to resturaunts.
AT ALL!

The problem is that no one is ever really informed of the new norm on tips...it just kind of goes around by word of mouth....Here is what it is now. %15 for good service, %20 for above average service, and %25-%30 for outstanding service. Some finer dining establishments expect about a %20 minimum tip for the service, and even some require it in the the bill automatically.
Oh, and about %50-%80 for when the server gets you so drunk you can't remember how much money you're giving them....:D (I have never done this.....:sheepish:): )

I make about %20 average in tips a night......whee! It's really not that hard.

Especially at a buffet thing....geezz, how dumb can you be?

What I would have done in your position Dragon, was leave her a %10 tip then ask a hostess or someone else to talk to a manager. That is what will hit them the hardest. After a talk with an angry manager, either the server will quit, get fired, or realize that: "Hey! If I put a little effort into this job and stop complaining, I might get something out of it!"

Thats my shpeal.

Edit: I work at Outback Steakhouse BTW....if anyone wanted to know.

DRAGON
11-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Sry, I didn't mean to insult or intimidate anyone working in this industry but it is in fact a tip or gratuity for a service. If the service is shy, I think so should be the gratuity(hence showing gratitude). Seems only fair IMHO -

.............i work at a hibachi steak resturaunt (japanese resturant where they cook in front of you) the server has to tip out the chef, .........

Well in one of those places, you had better tip teh cook or the ripping knives could slip and easily take a pinky finger in 1/100000000th of a second lol - :eek:

Speaking of messes Vik, there was a lady with a kid(maybe 2 years old) in there and when she left there was a terrible mess left behind. I mean a frikin total mess lol -

Just before I left a guy came in with his 2 young kids. He left them to sit while he gathered the food. He made 3 trips and while he was gone the young boy(maybe 1 1/2) started screaming. His sister(maybe 3 or 4) was trying to keep him under control. Well the 3rd trip while dad was away, little Jr decided to throw his plate of food on the floor....oooops!. The little girl said, "Ooooooo, I'm telling" and walked over to one of the waitresses and told her. Just listening to the little girl trying to keep Jr under control had everybody in the vicinity cracking up because it was so cute lol. I didn't see any of the waitresses laughing though -

calebh
11-03-2006, 09:47 PM
i think i got you beat dragon... last year some of us went to the riverwalk to eat on a band trip. a really nice mexican food place. we go in, get seated, and 45 minutes later, they come get our drink orders... after we asked... twice... it was nearly 2 hours before we finally got our food. we didnt leave a tip either.

badlandsrox
11-03-2006, 10:11 PM
2 dollars as a wage???? Minimum wage here is $8.50, soon to be ten (thats about $7-$9 for you americans)

DRAGON
11-03-2006, 10:16 PM
That's patience above and beyond the call of duty. I will not wait in line to eat. I will not wait more than 5 minutes to have my order taken unless it's my indecision for the delay. I think if you just sit there waiting saying nothing at all, they'll just make you wait longer because you're so patient lol. I am the squeeky wheel(ahem! May I see the manager of this establishment?) and we all know the squeeky wheel get oiled first. No oil? there's tons of restauraunts to choose from or maybe I'm just used to frequenting places in higher populated areas -

I have gone to 5 restauraunts in a row one day because I was so picky about food(cold, after waiting 25 minutes to get it? see ya), price(spaghetti dinner $25, don't think so), time before waited on(5 minutes and I don't know who my waitress is?), time to get a seat(heh, I have to wait how long to get a table!!?), attitude(hmmmm, was I supposed to catch that menu you threw at meh?). It was a blessing in disguise. We found a great restauraunt with excellent food, great staff, great atmosphere and became regular customers there -

xtraking
11-04-2006, 04:30 AM
2 dollars as a wage???? Minimum wage here is $8.50, soon to be ten (thats about $7-$9 for you americans)
It really isnt a wage. Alls it is is to go to taxes, you get nothing back. And on top of that, you have to claim your tips, so then even more money gets taxed :mad: . Then at alot of places with bussers/food runners you have to tip them out as well. I was a bus boy before, and i was a damn good one. When the bus boys dont do their work, i find it very hard to tip them out of my own money that they didnt do a thing for.

thechubbss12
11-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Ehh dragon... people like you make me wanna toss acouple of "bows" your direction...

I dunno about you but if you have ever worked in the food industry then you would learn to grow Alot more respect for it... Because the work sucks...

I am one of the better servers at my restaraunt but still only walking out with %20 sucks... Especialy when you have old people that tip change or people that are high maintenance.. Beyond popular belife servers are not rich or make very much money, and when people stiff you it will realy sucks...

IMO if you want to leave a statement to the server leave him/her $.50 to say "hey you realy sucked..." not leaveing the tip makes it look like you forgot.

Ohh yea i make $2.13 a hour... and i work at Earls Rib Palace (ever been to Oklahoma City metro area then you have probibly seen us....)

Jimmyd24
11-04-2006, 07:42 AM
waitors and buspo0ple dont get minimum wage, they live off their tips

DRAGON
11-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Ehh dragon... people like you make me wanna toss acouple of "bows" your direction...

Do you mean arrows? lol - :D

Yes, I have had jobs in about any industry you can think of including the restaurant business as a dishwasher, bus boy and cook at different places. Sry, if someone neglects to show me a common courtesy that's part of their job, I'm not budging with the cash I've worked hard for as well. Do you think money just falls in my lap every week so I can give it away to people that choose the position they have. I think it's screwed to make so little as a server and really don't understand why they should have to rely on tips so much as pay for what they do. It's actually hard to beleive that all servers get paid so little as a base rate AMOF -

Ares
11-04-2006, 08:08 AM
i agree with dragon, tips should be earned. i dont care who you are, i dont give out free money

badlandsrox
11-04-2006, 10:22 AM
waitors and buspo0ple dont get minimum wage, they live off their tips

Well up here, they get at least minimum wage, PLUS tips, but with the shortage of workers here, its not uncommon to see a waiter get 13-14 dollars
($11.43-$12.31 US)

scrappy
11-04-2006, 07:37 PM
If the service was awful, I try to give 2 pennies or a nickel or dime or whatever I have in my pocket. Nothing means you forgot.

Hossy
11-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Me in high school as many of you are, or have been, if i go to the restraunt and know the waiter personally, you have to give them a good tip or you feel bad for your bud. So peer pressure goes into it. If the service is bad, and you dont know the server, then if i can i talk to the manager, if i cant, they get no tip, unless is extra change or something in my pocket.

there was once a friend of mine got soo mad at the waiter, that brought him the wrong food maybe 2 or 3 times and he got a napkin, a pen, and wrote tip on it, and he put his used gum on a wrapper on the napkin. It was funny to see the reaction, but mean at the same time.

I have to agree with the thing about if you dont get tips, then you should think what am i doing wrong, because thats the only way your gonna get anywhere in life

thechubbss12
11-05-2006, 06:18 AM
bows = Elbows....

Hoppy11
11-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I agree. I know waitresses and waiters go through a lot of crap.. so when they are nice and respecful and what not, they get a nice tip.. even though im a broke ass college student. But I hate it when they are rude or disrespectful.. i just feel that its your job so do it good and it doesn't matter if you hate it or not. I hate my job but i still put a smile on my face when 5 drunk guys stubble up to my beer stand at Ford Field and then they can't remember where thier money went.

I think the ultimate smack in the face is leaving like 17 cents.. its like you sucked so bad that you don't deserve nothing.

SoldierzHonor
11-27-2006, 10:07 AM
I usually leave about 2-3 dollars tip if I eat at a sit down joint. If the service sucked, then I'd leave 1 dollar. I know they live off the tips and I figure 2-3 dollars is ok for about a 10 dollar meal. Lo and behold its in the 20-30% range lol. My question is do any of you tip at sonic? Friend of mkine asked how much I wanted to give for a tip and I was like "dude...this is sonic". We got into a debate on tipping there since the car hops make regular wages. I said "I dont tip at McDonalds either" then he was saying but they bring the meal to you at sonic. So? They dont do anything else after that. You guys tip there or no?

vikingshadow
11-27-2006, 12:40 PM
I do from time to time, but it irritates me. They almost never smile and hardly talk, and SOMEONE has to bring the food to you in the first place. IF they came back and asked you if you were happy with the meal and if you wanted a refill, then a tip would be warranted, I feel. But, me being the nice guy I am, always feels guilty about not tipping so i give 50 cents or so....

calebh
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
at sonic? "keep the change." it's too much trouble to wriggle around in my very comfortable car seat and give myself a wedgie just to put the change back in my pocket. so i let em keep the change. sonic ppl make at least the regular minimum wage, too. at least where i live, so its not like they live off the tips.

Recon by Fire
11-27-2006, 08:37 PM
I really hate to stif or short a waiter/wtress on a tip sometimes they really just push for it!

I especially love the ones who stand there and take your order and don't write a thing down. If you ask them if they should write it down, they assure you their memory is fail proof! This is usally college aged (i'm smarter than the rest of the world) employee. Sometimes they even go to an adjacent table and take another order without writing it down. Then sure enough when your order rrives it is wrong! Even if teh rest of the service is adequate, they screwed up your selection. Grr.... So many believe they are just the "Cat's Meow" when it comes to serving yet they are among teh worse because they think there is no room for improvement.

DFSniper
11-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Now, im a bagger at the commissary here and i get paid on tips (make about $10 an hour). If you dont do your job, then you shouldnt get paid, right? i'm right behind ya, Drago!

DRAGON
11-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Man, there's another waitress there(she looks Japanese) that is a total knockout. I alway leave her a good tip. Not only is she hawt but she's the best waitress there. Always asking to fill a drink, remove a plate or asking if everything is OK. If she's not doing that, she's cleaning any mess up on a table or floor. On top of all that, she's an awesomely beuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful Asian girl WOW! <3<3<3<3<3 - :loveeyes:

Anybody have what I call, "The sneaky waitress"? The is a waitress that barely pays attention to you till you're just about to leave. Just in time for you to leave the tip and pay your bill. They suddenly become very attentive and start asking all of the questions that they should have during your meal -