PDA

View Full Version : This is garbage

vikingshadow
11-02-2006, 03:29 PM
It's been brought to my attention by a few members that it there appears to be some SHENS going on in my "Of the Month" contests. I've looked into it, without going to deep into IP's and such, but it appears this is a "fixed" contest.

Clue number 1 - in almost two years of doing this, the vote count has NEVER been this high - It's more than TWICE what any of the other polls were.

Clue number 2 - there has been approx 30 "new" accounts made in the last couple of days, all with NO posts, and coincide with the poll numbers.

Now, I'm hesitant to call shens, but I'm thinking of calling this poll off because obviously some members are trying to up their numbers - there have been some HUGE jumps in votes for a few guns that is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

Speak up, let me know. I'll make a decision by tomorrow what I'll do.

pbfreak3221
11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Is there any way to get rid of votes?

calebh
11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
can you tell who's fixing the votes? kick their markers out of the contest...

DRAGON
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I won't get specific out in the open but it just sounds like time to use mod tools Vik and open a can of whoop :butwiggle: -

vikingshadow
11-02-2006, 03:40 PM
I really don't want to get into searching IP addresses and comparing them to everyone on the board. If I figure that the thing is being messed with, I'm just going to cancel it. I may start it up again with the poll being Public, but that'd be the only way.

Dragon - check the Penthouse!

big_daddy_d
11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
why punish all for the lack of maturity of a few. I'd run a search on IP addresses and ban those users from any future OTM polls...

marvin-martian
11-02-2006, 03:47 PM
i accepted the fact that there are 60 votes in each of the polls because i know that this forums been growing alot, and that there may be lurkers; but what tells me that the contest is being rigged is the 30 new users in the past 3 days with 0 posts. i know its sad, but i think they should be closed this time.

vikingshadow
11-02-2006, 03:52 PM
why punish all for the lack of maturity of a few. I'd run a search on IP addresses and ban those users from any future OTM polls...

You do realize that many members here have the same IP addresses as others? That there can be up to a dozen IP's for every user?

My thoughts are this - I was hesitant on doing the stinking things in the first place, and now I should do even MORE work for it? There aren't any prizes involved, and there aren't any rewards....for me OR you guys.

Since anyone could log in as anyone they want at anytime, the keeping up would be a NIGHTMARE.

Even if I made the polls public, there are still going to be the "lurker" vote. If people are going to use those votes to win, how am I, or anyone else, going to tell the difference?

claustrophobia9
11-02-2006, 03:52 PM
public it. wait 1 week, see if outcomes are similar. if so fine, if not teh bannage! forum watchdogs will notice...

vikingshadow
11-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I think that Claus and Marv are right on this - it's not like we can find out who voted on this poll since it wasn't public, so there's no way to know who actually voted. To run IP's on EVERYONE in the forum , even just those who possibly voted, is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I'm going to rule this "NOLO CONTENDRE" and start a new one.

On that note, this will be my LAST "Of the Month" contest. I've enjoyed doing it, it was my baby and I think it evolved into an awesome contest. Unfortunately, it's time consuming, nerve racking and I just don't to do it anymore. If you want to run the contest, and think you can keep it up and do a decent job, give me a pm!

marvin-martian
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
although i fully support your decision, im sad to see the contest go

splater18
11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
is there like a prize or something i don't get why you would waste time voting over and over and over sounds dumd and retarted to me. If you did why dont you just fess up it not like we're going to stone you to death or give you some form of evil torture:spank:

marvin-martian
11-02-2006, 05:19 PM
id stone him...

Hob Hayward
11-02-2006, 05:21 PM
:( tis a sad day, even though I had no chance of winning, it was still good fun to choose the best marker.

I know in other forums, you can compare IP's wit hthe click of a button, look at one persons IP and then it'll show you every other post and user associated with that IP.

bamf-hacker
11-02-2006, 05:23 PM
I have already begun looking into IP's

Come clean... If I find you before you notify me it is a vacation (Duplicate accounts are not permitted)

PM Me...

Daddy360
11-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Hmm. I say make the "Poll Forum" for members with atleast lets say for example, a total of 30 posts or more to be able to enter in that forum and therefore be able to vote. But def dont take out that contest because in my opinion it will help keep activity in the forums.

calebh
11-02-2006, 05:27 PM
if it will help, ill make cookies for the winners :D *not that you'll actually want to eat them...* lol

08Lud08
11-02-2006, 05:39 PM
I think you should make the polls with names next time so you can see who votes and determine who made the extra votes. I think its also dumb to make accounts to vote over and over for no prize. some people are just dumb.

Ace24
11-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Wow. Who has the time to do that? Seriously. Thats pretty sad. They try to get their gun or their friends gun to the top just for online bragging rights? So they ruin it for everyone?

Ugh. I dont know why people would do that. The compitition is for bragging rights, but its not that serious. Why would you put so much time and effort into rigging a contest just for that? I honestly look at the contest as a way for forum members to compare guns and have a friendly compitition to see where the interests of the forums lie. Its fun to see the different guns. It reminds me of a car show. So many unique guns.

Very sad to see it go though. I'm kind of interested as to which guns received the vote spikes though...

vikingshadow
11-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Guys, the contest isn't going, the only thing changing is just me running it - unless you think it'll go down the drain without me! :D

Ok, the mods (BAMF) has done some digging and it appears that all the new members are legit - now, whether the vote was, we'll never know - I think the poll runs out Saturday, so I'll make a decision by then...

Daddy360
11-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Yea it finishes on saturday. Please dont leave ='(. I haven't had a chance to compete yet =( lol. I hope i can get some upgrades by the end of this month if the contest is going to run again.

Nenkitsune
11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
wow, so...legit users, but just no actual posts? that's weird.
i looked at our member list, and it does seem quite a few of them posted at least a couple posts. could it be that with the release of the VS series, that people are comming here and making users?

Daddy360
11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Yea that is weird. But yea try taking my advice about putting a user post limit to allow those users to be able to vote. Its on page 2.

claustrophobia9
11-03-2006, 02:24 AM
56 votes nsotm
58 votes nsotm
65 votes sotm

thats alot of people to JUST FORGET to vote, on top of the fact that its such an unusually large number in the first place.

vikingshadow
11-03-2006, 04:27 AM
i looked at our member list, and it does seem quite a few of them posted at least a couple posts. could it be that with the release of the VS series, that people are comming here and making users?

It's totally possible. Seems a bit high, but with so many people getting this gun and the MR series, it's not unreasonable.

As far as the count difference, I've gone back and checked, and there have been times when the count has been uneven before. I think it just seemed weird because of the unusually HIGH number of votes.

Chalk it up to me being paranoid and tired (parent teacher conferences Tuesday and yesterday always gets me ready to argue/defend).

As far as the contest ending, though, that's up to you guys. I have a couple people interested in taking it over to continue it. If you're interested, shoot me a pm. I would like to see it continue, but my part in it is over after this one.

RomeNYRR
11-03-2006, 05:34 AM
sucks that people have to cheat to win :(. a few rotten apples can spoil it for the whole bunch. dam u!!!!

vikingshadow
11-03-2006, 06:01 AM
Now, now - I'm not sure anyone is cheating. According to our research, it doesn't APPEAR anyone is cheating - but who knows? I'm not a master of IP research, so take it with a grain of salt. However, according to my sources, who is doing more research as we speak and seems to be on the trail of something, says to hold off making judgments just yet.

We'll see!

Ace24
11-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Well I personally dont want to see the contest go. I would be willing to help if I could. I dont know how much work it would take, but with a few people together, it might make it easier to keep track of. Maybe one person for each contest thread? Or one person left in charge of watching and monitoring each thread? Maybe some people could help with other things too. I'm not sure what the responsibilities of the contest are, but I would be willing to help if I could. :)

vikingshadow
11-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Send me a pm and I'll add you to the list.

Once I get a list of applicants, I'll give you the general idea of what I do.

I would like to see one person do them all though. That keeps them consistant, you don't have to rely on several different people who may or may not be able to hold up their end of the deal.

Please don't volunteer if you can't commit to it 100% - this has been going quite some time, and I think is one of the better contests in any forums I've seen. I'd like it to continue.

marvin-martian
11-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Well I personally dont want to see the contest go. I would be willing to help if I could. I dont know how much work it would take, but with a few people together, it might make it easier to keep track of. Maybe one person for each contest thread? Or one person left in charge of watching and monitoring each thread? Maybe some people could help with other things too. I'm not sure what the responsibilities of the contest are, but I would be willing to help if I could. :)
that would cause too much confusion and would make everything way too complex

Hob Hayward
11-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Theres a chance theat people are saying, register hee and vot for my marker to their friends which remove the IP complication, the memebers would be legit , however, they joined to vote.

rodeoshooter
11-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Well, I would think new members would be a good thing if that's what indeed is happening. Hopefully that's what it is, and this forum will continue to grow and become more active.

newkid
11-03-2006, 03:54 PM
the thought angers me

timmyshoota
11-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't see how the differences in amount of votes is something unusual?

I only voted in one of the NSOTM polls, and not in the SOTM poll. I really had no one to vote for other than myself, so I didn't. I didn't like any of the guns in the other NSOTM poll, and never even looked at the SOTM poll.

claustrophobia9
11-03-2006, 06:21 PM

I only voted in one of the NSOTM polls, and not in the SOTM poll. I really had no one to vote for other than myself, so I didn't. I didn't like any of the guns in the other NSOTM poll, and never even looked at the SOTM poll.
vell, joo are eh freekz :dodgy:

Ace24
11-03-2006, 06:27 PM

Blah blah blah. lol.

Sarah owns you :dodgy:

timmyshoota
11-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Blah blah blah. lol.

Sarah owns you :dodgy:

...?

marvin-martian
11-03-2006, 07:13 PM
im confused too...

Ace24
11-03-2006, 07:57 PM
OOPS! Read that wrong. I thought you said you didnt vote in the NSOTM contest period because the only gun you liked was your own. :o

claustrophobia9
11-03-2006, 08:23 PM
btw that c. maule in the corner of you pic gave away who's it was... (i had forgotten until i saw that)

timmyshoota
11-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Hardly anyone voted for it anyways. Oh wellz, it still mows faces.

Gunny462
11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Geez, came in here to vote for mine and can't but then since it's OLDER than most of you've even been alive and prettier.... I'll hold off... for now lol

#2 of the ORIGINAL OLDER THAN DIRT CLUB and I GOTS the cane to prove it... Any one guess who numba one was?

TheRedBarron
11-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Gunny is ANCIENT I can back that claim.

Gunny single handedly stopped the Huns from invading western China, he also gave confucious inspiration for 5 of his sayings, and you cant forget the time he helped Noah build the arc.

Gunny462
11-05-2006, 11:20 AM
That's Ark and stay on subject ya PW :D

Like I should be correcting anyones spelling LOL

I fart dust, smell it yet?

vikingshadow
11-05-2006, 11:22 AM
LOL - Gunny carved his initials on the starting block of the Great Wall of China....

Unfortunately, I was the one who saw him do it!

Gunny462
11-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Gunny, Da original "Vandal"

Yo youngsters... look that one up lol And if ya ever want any dirt on some of your moderators........ pm Otter, I've forgotten everything