PDA

View Full Version : Class Rank

colonel_moo
11-02-2006, 03:25 PM
well i just got my class rank today, and i was curious to see how smart the spyder community is.

my rank currently is 25 out of 437, with a 96.25 weighted average (GPA: 4.1)

i need to move up 4 spots to make top 5 percent, but thats probably not going to happen with my AP euro class going the way it is...

Hossy
11-02-2006, 03:26 PM
good job!
keep up the good work!

big_daddy_d
11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
i was sooo smart they couldn't rank me, then I took the optional second senior year of high school...

claustrophobia9
11-02-2006, 03:30 PM
class rank doesnt mean all that much when just going to my school and not failing garuntees you a decent (not teh suck) college.

Moe
11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
congrats man. I was like 200 out 0f 500 somethin. Colleges look heavily on your SAT?ACT score rather than class rank. I got a 28 on my ACT and got a good scholarship. As long as you have a good sat/act, which im sure you do, and a good class rank youll be set.

claustrophobia9
11-02-2006, 04:04 PM
i do pretty well on those in general, the school does very well despite the ranges of grades. frankly im amazed at the number of alums that come back saying they are like twice a prepared (especially since the people who come back were slackers)

calebh
11-02-2006, 05:09 PM
well, im 5th out of 120ish, and a serious underacheiver. my best friend is the valedictorian, and we're always joking about how if i cared, i could take his place. im not a fan of standardized tests. they're too easy, i think. maybe not for everyone, but if you know how to take em and dont get test anxiety, they're a piece of cake. the science tests (at least from the ACT and the texas state test) are always ridiculously easy. the answers are right in front of you 100% of the time. you just have to know what to look for and not let the wording confuse you. and ill be the first to tell you my high test scores dont mean jack. (not to brag, but im talking HIGH test scores) really selective schools look at way more than just grades and test scores. as they should. they're meaningless unless you take them in context with everything else about a person.

colonel_moo
11-02-2006, 05:20 PM
congrats man. I was like 200 out 0f 500 somethin. Colleges look heavily on your SAT?ACT score rather than class rank. I got a 28 on my ACT and got a good scholarship. As long as you have a good sat/act, which im sure you do, and a good class rank youll be set.

actually class rank plays a huge role (according to the guidance and admissions officers i've talked to) and standardized tests are playing less of a role than they used to. they are actually very biased whereas class rank isnt biased at all. example, the math section of the SATs doesnt go any higher than geometry... i took geometry in 8th grade. when you dont take a class for 3 years you tend to forget alot of it. both me and the valedictorian of my class got 1950s on our SATs, thats really not that great. another kid i know really isnt that smart, but he got a 2300. he is just one, a really good test taker and two, all the stuff was fresh in his mind.

Muddytaco
11-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Class rank ment nothing to me. I had a 3.75 GPA and was ranked like 835 out of like 875. I think to even make the top 650 you had to take some kind of honor coarse b/c it was over a 4.00. Everybody at my school went to summer school to take extra classes and took prep classes for ACT and STA test.

funny story(to me anyway):

The school counselors called me into to there office about half way through my senior year and told me if i didn't start picking it up, o noes not all A's and B's :rolleyes: , that i would never get in to UT or texas a&m. I simply looked her in the eyes and said I don't want to go to either of those schools. She looked at me in a state of shock for about 2 mins without saying anything then told me I could leave. She even called my parents, they basicly repeated the same thing i did.

In high school I did anything i wanted to have fun and didn't study anything for sat and act, AKA I had a good time without worrying about if I was ranked high enough.

As for the the people that constanly worry about things like class rank and everything good for them, they went way over the high school standards. while they stay in college busting there butt to stay ahead of everybody else I am at cummunity college taking welding classes with a part time job. I will make more money my first year out of college that they won't make in a year for probably another 10 years.

***This is my opinion, not ment to flame anyone that worrys about class rank and stuff like that.***

vwjimmy
11-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Nice work Moo!!!!!
(I was 89th out of 1677....big senior class eh?)

calebh
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
the thing with class rank is it can never be an exact measure of someone's intelligence or determination. i do the bare minimum and still pull a's in most classes, and b's in the AP classes i dont have a's in. im more intelligent, and far more of an independent thinker than most of the poeple above me in rank.

if i really wanted to get valedictorian, i could go to a school less than 10 miles away, take crap classes and do everything but fail, and what i have so far would carry me all the way to graduation as valedictorian. rank doesnt measure kids between schools, and only the level of determination between kids from teh same school. well, i take that back. one girl 3 places below me is probly the most determined person i know...

then theres whether or not classes are weighted to differentiate between regular and AP classes, how much they're weighted, etc... class rank is just not a good measure in my mind.

badlandsrox
11-02-2006, 05:46 PM
19 out of 33 :dodgy:

durrell
11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
1 out of 1. :dodgy: Homeschool FTW.

vikingshadow
11-02-2006, 05:53 PM
I was 4th in my class!

xtraking
11-02-2006, 06:02 PM
I was 4th in my class!
Nerd!

vikingshadow
11-02-2006, 06:53 PM
LOL! I was also captain of my baseball team at the time, and Tiger royalty (our school mascot was the Tiger....)

But, I was a closet nerd....

spyderpaintball
11-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I ended up 60 something out of 200 something. See how much emphasis I put on class rank :rolleyes: .

claustrophobia9
11-03-2006, 03:32 AM
1 out of 1. :dodgy: Homeschool FTW.
ur ranked last!.... :D oh and first

badlandsrox
11-03-2006, 07:09 AM
But, I was a closet nerd....

:( :confused: this doesnt mean what i think it means right.. RIGHT??? Oh Noooooooooooooooo

*runs to closest cave and hides*

chubb0rz
11-03-2006, 10:00 AM
I was right in the top 200 of about 2,000. What really killed it for my school was an IB (International Baccalaureate) Program which pushed the max GPA to 6.0 since those were college classes. It sucked because kids in the IB program could fail a class and still have a 4.0 GPA.

spyderpaintball
11-03-2006, 10:40 AM
:( :confused: this doesnt mean what i think it means right.. RIGHT??? Oh Noooooooooooooooo

*runs to closest cave and hides*
Yes it does and be glad your not in the Penthouse;)

Jimmyd24
11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
4/565 in class
got into fsu yesterday

vikingshadow
11-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Bwahahaha - I was a fine, upstanding, future politician until I moved into the penthouse....those guys can REALLY mess a guy's future up...

RomeNYRR
11-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I was 250 out of 2600. Congrats. Keep up the good work Nerd!! lol :)

spyderpaintball
11-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Bwahahaha - I was a fine, upstanding, future politician until I moved into the penthouse....those guys can REALLY mess a guy's future up...
Just look at me.

vikingshadow
11-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Do I have to? Last time I did that, you scared me back in the closet...It was pretty cool when you won that Mr. T lookalike contest...

badlandsrox
11-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Do I have to? Last time I did that, you scared me back in the closet...It was pretty cool when you won that Mr. T lookalike contest...

Wait, so you came out of the closet not once, but TWICE!?!?!? Both Tom Cruise, AND Micheal Jackson have YET to come out once, that must have took alot

vikingshadow
11-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Easy, hot shot - that's the NERD closet - not that other closet!

bigred76
11-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Vike being burned by the Cannuck? THE WOLD'S COMING TO AN END!!! :bawling:

I think my class rank is like... 430's/650's. Underacheiving.. WOO!