PDA

View Full Version : Any other disabled paintballers out there?

Gee Tee
11-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys knew of many disabled people playing the game stateside? I lost my left leg below knee in a motorcycle accident in 1983 at the ripe old age of 19. Got back on bikes within two years, although I had to learn to drive a car first to get transport for work.

A friend I worked with got me hooked on paintball back in about 1989, and after a few rental days at sites bought my first gun (Jackal pump) Within a few years I was playing in 7 & 10 man tournaments with a local team. We all progressed through numerous pumps (WGP snipers, phantoms and sterlings) before graduating to the 1st semis to hit the UK. The team eventually ran a 50/50 mix of Automags & Cockers until we quit playing tournaments in the late 90's. A lot of the team still keep in touch and still manage several games a year as walk ons, but we're getting a bit long in the tooth for Supar Air style games.

Have lots of funny stories from our tourney days, usually relating to me falling arse over tit in spectacular fashion (I bloody hate brambles :mad:) But it usually makes for good banter at team reunions.

Would be great to hear feedback from others with similar stories.

ShadowX
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
I friend of mine that plays has only half of one arm, It is "nubbed" at the elbow.. And he OWNS people all the time. It does not slow him down what-so-ever. I am glad to see him playing.. It really makes you appreicate what you have. Two arms, in this case.

Reloading is a little problem, but the invention of the SpeedFeed made that all too easy for him.. Heh..

DRAGON
11-01-2006, 05:07 PM
I took one of my bestest friends paintballing in the late 80's. He has a leg prosthesis from the knee down. He lost his in a car accident when he was quite young. Anyway's, he lasted the day but couldn't take the continual jarring on his knee from running on the uneven terrain of the woods. We didn't have speedball then. Maybe it would have been better suited for him than woodsball -

Welcome to the KUSA forums - ;)

calebh
11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
falling arse over tit in spectacular fashion

lol thats a new one. but cant say i have seen many disabled players around. maybe they're just so good i never see em...

Sandman_Bravo
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
I used to race moto-cross and had a cousin who lost his leg when a drunk taxi driver hit him. He married the nurse who took care of him and got back on bikes. Eventually he took up racing (dirt) again and welded a tube on the shifter that came up to the side of the tank; sort of a suicide type shifter. He swapped the clutch and front brake, and was quite proficient.
Another story is my own, I've been told I'm mental, ADD, and a few other things; but I manage to find my way to the paintball store. :dodgy:

calebh
11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Another story is my own, I've been told I'm mental, ADD, and a few other things; but I manage to find my way to the paintball store. :dodgy:

oh ya, that should be the test for all types of diabilities. if you can get to the paintball store, you're good :D lol

stylinbeaver
11-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Your my hero man. I'm not disabled, but I love to hear stories about people that are and still enjoy sports and continue to go on with life. Once again, your my hero man.:)

timbertiger20
11-01-2006, 06:36 PM
You might not have met him but Doug Montgomery is getting to be a very infamous player in the Scenario world and especially the NorthWest. He is on a team out of the Seattle area and also an honorary member of our team! Last year I met him at his first scenario game (mine as well) I went down to our HQ and found a guy at the bottom of a ravine in his wheelchair.The horn sounded and I saw him hop out of his chair and belly crawl acroos the ground to a DT/hammer which is two A5's linked together with a crank. He turned to me and said bring me my chair. Stunned I rolled his chair to where he wanted it. He said thanks, that's my backup bunker! He has had MS for almost 10 years. He has severely struggled. Late last year half of his body went limp and he lost control kind of like a stroke. All the way up to his face. They gave him several therapy's to help out but they really didn't think he would improve a ton. Today with the help of his scenario brethern and some steroids he has used paintball as physical therapy and he can now walk upright and run which they hadn't ever seen happen to anyone with MS. They say it's because of his will to play paintball with the rest of us. He has a spread in one of the new SpecOps magazines!

Hob Hayward
11-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Holy cow, thats awesome... Perseveirance ftw...

silentpaintballfreak
11-01-2006, 07:32 PM
At black hawk down the JROTC Academy who played as a team, had a kid with a hook for a hand. He was freaking awesome. he couldnt reload but instead of pulling the trigger with your finger syou pull it with your arm. you can get some pretty impressive rates of fire with and arm. trust me i was on the wrong side of his fire a couple times.

Nader
11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
yeah. My friend has two stubs for arms only....and he can rip on ANY gun the fastest I've seen yet. He has to use a remote though....gets pretty hard to hold after a while with a tank.

Gee Tee
11-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Some great stories there - the one about Doug Montgomery really blew me away - what a trooper! :bow: I got involved with a disabled bikers charity in the UK (NABD) 6 years ago, and ended up repping for them in my area. Some of the guys you meet at rallies are just mind blowing - I've seen many minus both legs, arm and leg or paralysed from the waist down that still manage to get stuck in on 2 or 3 wheels. I currently run a Ducati 900 monster solo, and another 900 monster that I've just converted to a trike. Massive grin factor on both and the trike wheelies really well too!

I'll keep paintballing untill I croak - it's just way too much fun to quit. The false leg does come in handy some times. I can leave it sticking out of a bunker and crawl off somewhere to set up an ambush.

"He's still there guys I can see his foot poking out?".... WHACK!.. WHACK!

Suckers :lol:

Thanks for the great welcome to the KUSA forum :cool:

yamaha cow
11-02-2006, 12:54 PM
there is a guy that is probubly in his 60-70's that i play with he is awesome but he has no right leg, he uses a prostesis i think is whats its called. he rocks every 1 him and his angel. the are there own team. the thing is so old it has a 1 fingered trigger. oh yah he has a team of like 4 guys that are disabled that play an there the bomb.

SpudmanWP
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
While I would not consider myself disabled, I do have a disability.. Does that make sense?

Anyhow, I lost about 8 inches of my tibia in a motorcycle accident in '91. At the time I was an avid player and ref. I spent the next 6 years and 25+ surgeries rebuilding my lower leg.

In the past year I have come back to the sport that I love. I still have my old (18+ year old) Nelson clone pump rifle. I played with it last March in a private game of 40+ players, all semis. I rocked. I had about a 5/1 kill ratio the whole day. I also PAID dearly the next day. I had to take several vicoden just to get to work.

I am saving up for a new MR2 rig so I can go sniper. Not as much running that way :)

Good luck to everyone and never let it get you down :)

paintball 1
11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
i also have a disabilty. i was working for a goverment contractor at the naval air station in alameda,ca. we were supplying support for the hospitals of desert storm. i was loading an over seas container at the time. my buddy and i were closing the doors and my head was cot in them when they closed.
the doors bonced off my head above my ears. twisted my neck to my left sholder. i suffer seizzers and have extream tinnitis. excuse my spelling. the door hinges where welded on crooked. the doors where sprung. these where brand new at the time. well after 13yrs years of this i stated playing a fews ago. i will play back to mid most of the time. too much excercise orhard play will cause my problem to happen. i just live w/it. but i have fun anyway. soif i come on sometimes and not make since this is why. :D :D :D