PDA

View Full Version : noob questions i never asked

PumaPride04
10-29-2006, 11:28 AM
1. What is ramping?
2. What is milling?
3.is ramping allowed in tourneys
4.Modes:RT, CFAO, Nitro, PSP and NXL ramping (what are these?) found them on the t-board for electra which i might buy

vwjimmy
10-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Ramping is when the marker increases your rate of fire when you are shooting semi....
PSP and NXL are leagues that have rules about ramping and the board has modes to function by those rules....
Milling is when you take metal away with a tool like a drill, dremmel, or lathe....

vikingshadow
10-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Sorry, had to add some more to that! :D

1. What is ramping?
2. What is milling?
3.is ramping allowed in tourneys
4.Modes:RT, CFAO, Nitro, PSP and NXL ramping (what are these?) found them on the t-board for electra which i might buy

1. Ramping is artificially raising the rate of fire you can shoot by adding shots to your pull strictly by means of electronics. When you reach a preset program rate of fire (say 10 bps) the gun's electronics then takes over and raises the rate of fire to whatever you have previously told it to do (say 20 bps.) As long as you keep moving your fingers at 10 bps (or whatever you told it to be) it will continue to shoot at 20 bps. You have to stop for about a second for it to stop ramping.

2. Milling is cutting your gun up, removing metal here and there to make it look original. It's also what the gun looks like from the manufacturer. For example - "That gun from Bob Long has awesome milling!"

3. Ramping is becoming more and more popular, but not just in the major circuits anymore. My team played in several tournaments where ramping is allowed, and there's a series around here that allows it. Even fields are starting to allow it in rec play. It's an effort to "level" the field by allowing those slower shooters to reach comparable speeds to those who are faster.

4. Modes means the different forms of ramping there are. RT stands for Response trigger - pull once, shoot twice (one on pull, one on release); CFAO - this is a Carolina tournament (if I remember correctly) that has it's own ramping rules; Nitro - super fast automatic shooting - not sure if it's ramping. You start shooting the gun and it "ramps" to whatever speed you tell it to. PSP ramping is 3 pulls in semi and the gun starts shooting 3 shoots every pull; NXL ramping is full auto on the break until you release the trigger, then ramping up to 15 bps.

Several people, especially old school players, feel ramping is a crutch for those who feel they MUST shoot faster to win. Others feel that it's a game changing benefit that keeps those "pros" at every field from dominating the less fortunate, or the lazy who are unwilling to practice getting faster.

stylinbeaver
10-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Sorry, had to add some more to that! :D

1. Ramping is artificially raising the rate of fire you can shoot by adding shots to your pull strictly by means of electronics. When you reach a preset program rate of fire (say 10 bps) the gun's electronics then takes over and raises the rate of fire to whatever you have previously told it to do (say 20 bps.) As long as you keep moving your fingers at 10 bps (or whatever you told it to be) it will continue to shoot at 20 bps. You have to stop for about a second for it to stop ramping.

2. Milling is cutting your gun up, removing metal here and there to make it look original. It's also what the gun looks like from the manufacturer. For example - "That gun from Bob Long has awesome milling!"

3. Ramping is becoming more and more popular, but not just in the major circuits anymore. My team played in several tournaments where ramping is allowed, and there's a series around here that allows it. Even fields are starting to allow it in rec play. It's an effort to "level" the field by allowing those slower shooters to reach comparable speeds to those who are faster.

4. Modes means the different forms of ramping there are. RT stands for Response trigger - pull once, shoot twice (one on pull, one on release); CFAO - this is a Carolina tournament (if I remember correctly) that has it's own ramping rules; Nitro - super fast automatic shooting - not sure if it's ramping. You start shooting the gun and it "ramps" to whatever speed you tell it to. PSP ramping is 3 pulls in semi and the gun starts shooting 3 shoots every pull; NXL ramping is full auto on the break until you release the trigger, then ramping up to 15 bps.

Several people, especially old school players, feel ramping is a crutch for those who feel they MUST shoot faster to win. Others feel that it's a game changing benefit that keeps those "pros" at every field from dominating the less fortunate, or the lazy who are unwilling to practice getting faster.
You hit it on the head. Go Vike

PumaPride04
10-29-2006, 01:53 PM
thanx so much if i buy a t-board which mode should i do?

08Lud08
10-29-2006, 02:56 PM
use whatever you want. I dont use auto because I dont like it, the modes I usually use are semi, psp ramping, and regular ramping.

PumaPride04
10-29-2006, 02:58 PM
for ramping would you have to buy a ramping chip

08Lud08
10-29-2006, 03:00 PM
If its the verC board then no if its the old version yes.

PumaPride04
10-29-2006, 03:15 PM
its da one from sd for the vs series,06 electra, and mr series so i dont think i need one

calebh
10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
ramping is BS and dangerous, whether its been legalized or not.

that said, theres an older version of ramping, where the fps of your shots is raised. its even more dangerous than the new ramping and still illegal in all leagues. they didnt give in on that one...

now that im off the soapbox, if the board is advertised with the modes, you shouldnt have to buy anything extra.

08Lud08
10-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Ramping is not dangerous. Why do people ever say that. If I could shoot 20bps on semi would that mean I'm dangerous?

PumaPride04
10-29-2006, 06:58 PM
how do you know if your on regular ramping and not psp ramping?

calebh
10-29-2006, 06:59 PM
the difference between shooting 20 bps and ramping 20 bps is you actually control how many times you shoot. thats why ramping is dangerous. you may see a dangerous situation and stop shooting, but a computer chip cannot see it and put out a ball or two. at a distance, it wont matter much. close shots are when it really matters, and computer chips dont have distance meters on them, either.

one time a ref ran up to paintcheck me. i still dont know how, but i realized someone was running towards my bunker from the other side of the field. i turn around to shoot the guy i thought was coming to bunker me, pull the trigger a few times, waiting for him to run into the paint, see its a ref and stop. the ref was not running like a player getting ready to bunker me and was not prepared to be shot. if i had not stopped (or if i was ramping, the chip would not have stopped) shooting, that would have been one or two REALLY close shots to the refs manly parts... (he still remembers having my barrel about 2 inches from his crotch. i would too...)

suppose a player goes to bunker an opponent. multiple close shots to a lense can crack it. so what happens when the ramp shoots more than a few shots? what happens when the ramp keeps shooting AFTER a mask is pushed off of someone's face by the extreme rate of fire?

the difference is not the rate of fire. the difference is control.

08Lud08
10-29-2006, 07:52 PM
the difference between shooting 20 bps and ramping 20 bps is you actually control how many times you shoot. thats why ramping is dangerous. you may see a dangerous situation and stop shooting, but a computer chip cannot see it and put out a ball or two. at a distance, it wont matter much. close shots are when it really matters, and computer chips dont have distance meters on them, either.

one time a ref ran up to paintcheck me. i still dont know how, but i realized someone was running towards my bunker from the other side of the field. i turn around to shoot the guy i thought was coming to bunker me, pull the trigger a few times, waiting for him to run into the paint, see its a ref and stop. the ref was not running like a player getting ready to bunker me and was not prepared to be shot. if i had not stopped (or if i was ramping, the chip would not have stopped) shooting, that would have been one or two REALLY close shots to the refs manly parts... (he still remembers having my barrel about 2 inches from his crotch. i would too...)

suppose a player goes to bunker an opponent. multiple close shots to a lense can crack it. so what happens when the ramp shoots more than a few shots? what happens when the ramp keeps shooting AFTER a mask is pushed off of someone's face by the extreme rate of fire?

the difference is not the rate of fire. the difference is control.there is control. you can let go of the trigger, its the same thing as stop shooting. Also If your mask got shot multiple times it shouldn't break. I had a crapy old mask and I shot it about 50 times close range and it didnt crack or break. Lastly no ones mask can be shot off their face or pushed off their face by extreme rate of fire causing them to be shot in the face. Tell me how many times that has happened to people ramping and give me more than 1.

kidonfire
10-29-2006, 08:20 PM
there is control. you can let go of the trigger, its the same thing as stop shooting. Also If your mask got shot multiple times it shouldn't break. I had a crapy old mask and I shot it about 50 times close range and it didnt crack or break. Lastly no ones mask can be shot off their face or pushed off their face by extreme rate of fire causing them to be shot in the face. Tell me how many times that has happened to people ramping and give me more than 1.

He means that you can't stop shooting right away. It keeps firing for a second after. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know much about it.

calebh
10-29-2006, 08:40 PM
that depends on your ramp... some of the more extreme ramp amounts ive tried shot several times more after i stopped pulling the trigger. there's more balls going out the barrel than what you pulled the trigger. the ramp is still running even after you stopped pulling the trigger. theres the electronic delay. when the next pull does not come, the ramp stops. on most ramps, only one, maybe two shots will come after the trigger is no longer pulled. sometimes, no extra shots will come out. depends on your board. but one shot a split second later than i stopped pulling the trigger is all my friend/ref would have needed to have some extremely sensitive manly parts. like i said, its usually when its close that it counts.

theres always the possibility a lens will crack. why, then, are we always told to replace the lens after a single shot? if you want to risk your eyesight, go ahead...

i can give you an example i saw myself. if you want more than that, sorry. but if i saw it, theres other examples out there. lip shots dont look pretty...

thechubbss12
10-30-2006, 04:44 AM
Hummm.... Calebh.. i think your argument is flaud...

For 1 reason... Paintball is dangerous... bottom line if your going to play everyone you are playing with should understand the risks fully... I know that when i am going in for a bunker thats there is a larger chance i am going to get lit up, weather it is in the face, man parts or my back i still understand the dangers and feel it is worth my pain to get that position gone...

2... If you are playing with someone who is ramping then it is probibly someone wanting a serious game... not just your 3 times a year paintballer...

3. You almost shot a ref...? is that such a bad thing?.... I cant tell you how many ref i have lit up because they are running like a player to check someone or they run into my line... Ive been reffing for 2 years at my local field and everytime I get off work im coverd in welps... Getting shot is part of reffing.

Look man ramping is Alot of fun... if you have never played with it seriously or had to play without it in a torney then you would learn to appreciate it more.... Im not coming at to make you look stupid and im not trying to burn you at all im just saying that you dont understand (at this point) what you are talking about. Im not just a guy who uses ramping all the time... Infact i practice daily to improve my ROF and on realy good days i can out shoot PSP ramping....

ok well im done...

TheRedBarron
10-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Lastly no ones mask can be shot off their face or pushed off their face by extreme rate of fire causing them to be shot in the face.
Seen it happen. But it is rare, and not caused by extreme rates of fire but more of a combo of, loose mask + Well placed shot + badluck + Possible hot shooting marker. That is the reason why most mask manufacuterers supply that chin strap that most of you remove.

Back on topic though chillins if you want a ramping discussion make a new thread for it. Just remember it is a touchy subject STILL and will be closed if the line is crossed.

08Lud08
10-30-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry for getting a little to into it.

calebh
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
well, i would just like to point out that i do know what im talking about. and well, everyone has different opinions, even if experiences are exactly the same. we obviously dont have the same experiences, so its ok. lets agree to disagree, and not try to discredit the other, hmm? attack the position. not the person. capisce?

08Lud08
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
but if you used it you'd like it. lol

calebh
10-30-2006, 04:53 PM
i have used it. and i dont like it. but to each his own

Ace24
10-30-2006, 05:23 PM
3. You almost shot a ref...? is that such a bad thing?.... I cant tell you how many ref i have lit up because they are running like a player to check someone or they run into my line...

YOU MONSTER! I'm a reff :cry:

Although I still laugh at fellow reffs when they get lit up when a guy runs past them and they dont move. Nuttshots ftl.

But anyway, back on topic. Ramping, IMO, is gay.

08Lud08
10-30-2006, 06:59 PM
YOU MONSTER! I'm a reff :cry:

But anyway, back on topic. Ramping, IMO, is gay.
Your just saying that because you are a reff. lol

Theheroguy
10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
high rate offire doesn't equal victory my friend plays withan 98has a gravfeed progressive inline x chamber and rocketcock withco2. He dominates on any field beacuase he can popshot like a beast

although even he is looking at an egg3 + rt/electrotrigger with was