PDA

View Full Version : Which Gun

the_new_guy
10-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi guys new to forum and i wasx wondering what gun should i get. i ahve about a 150-250 price range and want a good spyder any help will be great thanx

ross * pilot
10-28-2006, 06:07 PM
First of all, welcome to the forums... Here, all of your questions will be answered by very knowledgable paintballers. I think you should get either a Pilot or Imagine. Both are reliable and electric. Plus, if you buy either one, you still have some extra dough for some great upgrades.

The best thing you could do is to search around for deals and read this website! Plus, stop in at ottersccustoms.com

bracer028
10-28-2006, 06:10 PM
get a vs2

the_new_guy
10-28-2006, 06:11 PM
not really interested in vs series

bracer028
10-28-2006, 06:13 PM
then get an ion

PumaPride04
10-28-2006, 06:14 PM
yo wats up i think you should get a eletra like mine naw jk get which everyone you want

marvin-martian
10-28-2006, 06:15 PM
will this be your first marker? this is an important question because some are easier to learn, modify, and take care of than others.

the_new_guy
10-28-2006, 06:15 PM
dont really want an ion because ill have to buy a hpa tank and yes first marker ever unless you count a little pump gun from walmart lol

pbfreak3221
10-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Personally I think you should go for the Pilot ACS, if this is your first marker, and you're interested in a spyder. This is a great guns for begginers, and was my second gun.

bracer028
10-28-2006, 06:49 PM
i say u don't get a pilot. you will be upgrading that thing or changing it very very soon.

stay away from the MR series too...i say your best bet with the most potential is the vs series....seriously consider it

marvin-martian
10-28-2006, 06:51 PM
wow, i actually dont want to yell at pbfreak for something he said. its amazing

08Lud08
10-28-2006, 07:26 PM
I would get an Imagine or a Pilot acs. They are great guns for a begginer beacause All you have to do is oil the striker and bolt with pb oil and there is almost no way to screw it up. Also If you decide to upgrade later you can always sell it to a friend to get them into the sport.

Oscum Guy
10-28-2006, 07:48 PM
a vs2 or a 05-06 electra. pilots and fenixes are good to. o an imagine for like 62 bucks refurbished.

08Lud08
10-28-2006, 08:01 PM
you need a hpa tank to use the vs2

vikingshadow
10-29-2006, 03:50 AM
Ok - first of all, welcome to the boards AND the game! I think you'll like both.

Here's the thing....you have to realize that paintball is expensive. REAL EXPENSIVE - especially if you're just starting out. If you're like me and want all new and no used, it's even worse! I just didn't want someone else's problems, so I bought everything new - I still have only bought 1 thing used in all my time of playing...and now I can't get rid of it! Most of my prices below are listed as NEW, not used, so you might be able to find them cheaper if you look around.

However, since we don't know what kind of equipment you already have, we have to assume you don't have anything. I assume you only have $150.00-$250.00 period, nothing extra to spend on a good mask, a loader, a couple of pods to hold paint, a tank and air so your options are very limited.

1st of all - get a GOOD mask because your eyes are worth more than what a cheap mask will cost ya. In my opinion, this is the FIRST, MOST IMPORTANT item in a paintball players gear bag. It's definitely worth it to spend $50-$90 on a mask because it's going to:

A. be reliable and not break if it gets hit up close;
B. it won't fog up causing you to want to reach underneath to wipe it off while your playing;
C. have a good enough range of vision to allow you to see more of the field.
D. cause some shots to just bounce off and not break.
E. You won't have to use the crappy field masks that have been sweat in by a zillion other players - GROSS!

I'd recommend anything (except the Armor mask) in the Vforce line - however, several others have their own preferences. What it boils down to is trying each different kind on and deciding for yourself which are the best.

Now, that leaves from about $100-$200 to spend on a gun and other things you might like to have, but aren't necessarily important yet. Secret fact #1 - ALL spyders are basically the same, with the exception of the EM1 and the new VS line. They all use the same internals, they all use the same operation, so one spyder is as good as the other. The main difference is whether they are electrical or mechanical.

Most of us started with a MECHANICAL Spyder marker like a Sonix or a Victor, a Victor II or whatever. This isn't an electrical gun, so you don't have to worry about charging batteries or messing with the board and you learn about taking care of your gun pretty easily with these. A lot of people still prefer mechs over electros...some say it's a more "pure" way to play and that you can't cheat with a mech...I don't know about that.

You can't shoot mechs really fast, BUT you save money on paint, and you can upgrade it as you go. Later on, as you have the money, you can buy an electric frame, a new barrel, get some new internals, so on and so forth. These guns only cost about $50-$100.00, depending where you get them and what you get. Parts cost anywhere from 10.00 to 150.00, again, depending on where you get them and what you get. A lot of people love building a mech into a solid performing electrical monster - I know I did!

OR.....you can start off with an electronic gun, like an Imagine, a Pilot, Electra whatever...these are great beginner electronic guns. You shoot more paint (lots more!) and have to keep it charged to play. They aren't to whoopy in wet conditions, but I never had a problem with it since I never laid my electros in a puddle. These "starter" electros are going to run from about $100-200.00. These are good because some of the parts you'd put on your mech are already on it. Well, really those are the only two benefits to buying electric as your first gun, right off the bat - you can shoot faster and don't have to buy as many upgrades for it.

One more thing on electros - you'll need to buy an electronic hopper (loader) for it though. Otherwise, you're going to have a mess on your hands! Something like a Reloader, Revy, or an eVLution are good for these types of guns, but they run from about 30.00 (used) to 85.00 (new.)

Now, you're looking at anywhere from 90.00 to 200.00 in just a mask, gun and loader. There are a couple of more things you might be interested in but aren't REAL necessary to have right away: pods (to hold paint), a pod pack (to carry the pods,) a couple of battle swabs and a squeegie, and of course, you'll need paint, air, field fees, etc. to play.

I hope I didn't scare you with all these prices, it's just so many new players never really know what they need. Hopefully now, you can decide on which direction to go from here and build yourself a plan!

Have a great time on the field!

darkpilot06
10-30-2006, 03:16 PM
the pilot acs is a great gun. if you have played a couple of times you know how addicting it is. i knew a mech. marker was not for me after seeing how fast electros are shooting i am only a weekend warrior and dont have a lot of time to practice walking the trigger so i bought a pilot acs. you will need at an electric hopper to shoot auto. stock it will shoot 13pbs! you will have charge the gun but one charge on the battery lasts me about five full days of playing. it might go longer but i dont chance it. pilots shoot good out of the box and you can get after market parts as you go along. the v force vantage is a good mask at a good price. welcome to the sport. you have looked in the right direction for a marker. kingman makes great products. have fun out there.

Hob Hayward
10-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Wheww nice post Vike.

I'm going to have to suggest the Pilot ACS. Why? Its cheap ($120), its fast, and it has the ACS bolt, and in my experiance its a great gun. With the ACS broken in you should have no problems with chopping, even with a slower hopper.

Vike is right about a mask being the most important part of paintball, you need a mask thats Fog Proof, not fog resistant. I'd suggest a Jt Elite Nforcer or Nvader. I have one, my brother has the other, three other peopel I know have them aswell. They're good with fog and pretty cheap, if your on a budget, though of course if you can afford a better mask, it is worth it.