PDA

View Full Version : the dallas stars

calebh
10-26-2006, 07:05 PM
well, the stars are 8-1 for the season so far. number 2 in the league. their best start ever. they play detroit tomorrow...

GO STARS!!!

spyderkid179
10-26-2006, 07:23 PM
The wild are better. Nobody in Texas plays hockey anyway.

badlandsrox
10-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Flames are wayyyyyy better... although their record doesnt show it... :dodgy:

vikingshadow
10-27-2006, 04:34 AM
And the thread curse has begun......

Mwhahahahahahaha

badlandsrox
10-27-2006, 12:33 PM
what thread curse??

emf7301
10-27-2006, 03:06 PM
stars are going to woop up on detroit tonight cuz Turco is my man!
The wild are better. Nobody in Texas plays hockey anyway. do you live in texas? if not, don't make assumptions. There are plenty of hockey players here. And as for the wild being "better", only time will tell cuz the matchup is on Dec. 2. I can guarantee you that i'll be watching. Both teams are 8-1 right now after playing almost the same opponents. It'll be a good matchup to say the least.

O yea, why does it seems that although hockey originated in and is the national sport of Canada, but they can't get a good team worth anything?

marvin-martian
10-27-2006, 04:19 PM
O yea, why does it seems that although hockey originated in and is the national sport of Canada, but they can't get a good team worth anything?
because they get paid more here

emf7301
10-27-2006, 04:29 PM
i mean NHL teams based in canada. I know they come to the NHL from canadian leagues because there is more money.

badlandsrox
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
there is no canadian leagues emf... lol Anyway, what do you mean good teams? Remeber the oilers in there glory days? (as much as i hate to admit it) the jets back when, the flames back when, and again now, toronto isnt too bad, also if u just look at the numbers, america has more good teams in numbers, but if u average it out, canadas just the same, just wayyyyyy less teams
:caflag:

emf7301
10-27-2006, 04:55 PM
yea, i guess so. I never really considered comparing the teams based in Canada and the teams based in the US. Good point.

vikingshadow
10-27-2006, 05:52 PM
what thread curse??

Anytime someone starts talking about their favorite team, bad things start happening. The teams start losing, usually by pretty close scores and such...kind of like the cover of Sports Illustrated curse...

spyderkid179
10-27-2006, 10:17 PM
dallas is now 8-2
wild is now 9-1

just thought id update the standings a little bit.
I'm just mad cuz dallas doesnt deserve to have the stars and they shouldnt have ever moved away from here.

durrell
10-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Go Canes ;)

emf7301
10-28-2006, 01:29 AM
dallas is now 8-2
wild is now 9-1

just thought id update the standings a little bit.
I'm just mad cuz dallas doesnt deserve to have the stars and they shouldnt have ever moved away from here.
don't go bragging yet. If you've noticed, there are still at least 60 games left, there is only a ONE game difference, and the wild has only played 3 road games. A teams true ability lies in their consistency not only at home but on the road. Wait until the end of the season before taking bragging rights.

o yea, if you care so much about the stars and their move to dallas, which mind you was over 10 years ago, then why are you bragging about the wild having a one game advantage over them. Also, why doesn't dallas deserve the stars? Have you ever been to dallas? Unless you have come here and have viable reasons, don't say dallas doesn't deserve the stars. That's like me saying Minnesota doesn't deserve the Wild. Please just respect the facts and don't go complaining about things without valid support.

Edit: Canes are goin' down too. :D

calebh
10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
stars are 8-2... yes... but look at the percentage of shots made and turco's beastly save percentage... stars had ton less shots and only lost by one point. detroit had a 5 on 3 powerplay for like 3 minutes and almost didnt score. (3 seconds more dangit...)

and it was a VERY good game, even if dallas did lose

badlandsrox
10-28-2006, 09:06 PM
stars had ton less shots and only lost by one point.

it may show that they dont score as much, but on the flip side, it just shows that dallas has a horrible defense, and detroit took advantage of that.

spyderkid179
10-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Also, why doesn't dallas deserve the stars? Have you ever been to dallas? Unless you have come here and have viable reasons, don't say dallas doesn't deserve the stars. That's like me saying Minnesota doesn't deserve the Wild. Please just respect the facts and don't go complaining about things without valid support.

I believe that Minnesota deserves to have a hockey team over Dallas. I am sure that there is a great appreciation for hockey in Texas but I guarantee it is nothing close to Minnesota. I would be perfectly happy with Dallas having a hockey team; I donít agree with the way they got it, thatís all. In Minnesota we sell out the Xcel Energy Center (wilds home rink) for high school hockey games and have games shown on Fox Sports Net weekly. Thatís how much we care about hockey. I doubt most schools in Texas even have HS hockey teams.

I just think that to move a team from Minnesota to Texas is wrong, just as it is with moving any Canadian teams south.

vikingshadow
10-29-2006, 04:36 PM
By that reasoning, we shouldn't have any baseball teams in Canada - nor should there be any football teams outside of Texas and Oklahoma. :rolleyes: It's been argued that baseball is an American sport, and nobody is into football like Texas and Oklahoma - that's why all the high school football movies take place in those two states. So should there be football and baseball elsewhere?

Professional sports is like advertising - it goes where ever the owners feel they will get the most support and MONEY. That's the bottom line. I know absolutely squat about hockey - and I have no clue what is happening with this team, but if they left Minnesota, it was probably due to a good reason.

spyderkid179
10-29-2006, 05:27 PM
By that reasoning, we shouldn't have any baseball teams in Canada - nor should there be any football teams outside of Texas and Oklahoma. :rolleyes: It's been argued that baseball is an American sport, and nobody is into football like Texas and Oklahoma - that's why all the high school football movies take place in those two states. So should there be football and baseball elsewhere?

I agree, sort of. Do you think it would be fair to move the dallas cowboys to Canada? Probably not, and thats what im saying. A hockey team getting moved from minnesota to texas is comparable to a football team getting moved from Oaklahoma or Texas to Canada.
I think that people up North here care a lot more about football than they do hockey down South. Every highschool up north here has their own football field/team but the same cannot be said for hockey down South. Almost every highschool in Minnesota has its own hockey RINK let alone team. In Texas very few schools have hockey teams.

Professional sports is like advertising - it goes where ever the owners feel they will get the most support and MONEY. That's the bottom line. I know absolutely squat about hockey - and I have no clue what is happening with this team, but if they left Minnesota, it was probably due to a good reason.

There wasn't a good reason because a successful franchise was started here 10 years later, arguably the most successful franchise ever.

good luck to the wild tonight..

calebh
10-29-2006, 06:43 PM
it may show that they dont score as much, but on the flip side, it just shows that dallas has a horrible defense, and detroit took advantage of that.

i will say that the defense did not do a good job that game. well, except for the penalty killing. that was pretty awesome. usually they do a lot better... if they had played the whole game like they did the penalty killing, it woulda been awesome

emf7301
10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Spyderkid, you've made a good point that of course hockey is huge up north and football is the same down here. And honestly, the average person here wouldn't want to deal with a 5-6 month winter of below 30 degrees. However, if there is one thing that is popular down here, it is hitting (hence the immense popularity of football). You get the same thing in hockey as opposed to football but with a twist. Hockey is more of a novelty sport down here but don't get me wrong, we still take it dead serious.

As for your argument about high school facilities, what about them? The fact that very few high schools, yet alone colleges, have their own rinks is comparable to football fields in Minnesota. Just because hockey isn't always the talk of the town doesn't mean it's not important and that the stars shouldn't be here. That'd be like me saying the vikings aren't more important than the Wild up north, so they never should have gone there. Puhlease. That is a weak argument.

But like viking said, the professional teams go where ever they feel is most beneficial to them. There had not been a professional hockey team in dallas for several years and they realized the massive profit potential. sure the wild have become a successful franchise but they already had a built in hockey fan base. the stars had to start out from the beginning here and build up. Hell they didn't get their own dedicated sports arena until about 4 years ago. Also, maybe you don't recall the stars past success after moving here as well. Stars have been playoffs contenders almost every year since they moved here. They won the Stanley cup in 99 and have made 2 more additional finals appearences.

Simply put, the stars made a move here because they realized the potential for a pro hockey team to have enormous support and financial backing. Not only were they right, but they hit the jackpot because most people that like football here also enjoy hockey. It's the best of both worlds. So let's just leave it at that and stop arguing over why the stars came to dallas.