PDA

View Full Version : Pinch a Penny.........

DRAGON
10-25-2006, 01:39 PM
The last couple times I picked up chicken at the local carry out, as I was waiting in line I saw something that struck me curious - :confused:

Last time I was there, a kid dropped 5 cents and looked at it and continued to go through his change, he did not bother to pick it up. The guy in back of him in line about a minute later picked up the nickel while grumbling something to his wife about, "....I don't care...." - :mad:

Couple days ago a kid dropped a penny while paying and didn't pick it up. He soon dropped a nickel and picked that up this time but still left the penny laying there. After paying he almost dropped some more change. He seemed nervous, what a clutz lol - :o

That made me wonder.....what if the kid dropped 4 or 5 pennies? Would he have picked them up since they had the same value as the nickel? Or does it not look as bad picking up the nickel as it would the almost worthless pennies? If I walked through the place throwing pennies no one would even budge but for dollar bills they would be killing each other to get at them like the women at a blue light special at K-Mart lol - :nutkick:

They ask if they should get rid of the penny and most say no because everything would be rounded off to the next 5 cents including sales tax yet most people consider them worthless -

What do you consider worth picking up if dropped or found? If you wouldn't pick a dropped or found penny up, is it because it would make you look like a chince or are they really worthless? -

marvin-martian
10-25-2006, 01:44 PM
the only coin i consider money is a quarter. when i get change back, i put it in my pocket and save it up until i have enough to pay for a slurpie or something. i wouldnt pick anything up besides quarters though...

xtraking
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
i pick up every coin i see. People call me cheap, i go oh well... in a year i thin ki got a couple hundred bucks just at school.

vwjimmy
10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
I rolled $220 in pennies last year from a big water bottle Susan and I have been filling for awile. Is that money to you all? It sure was to us! :)

JMotioN
10-25-2006, 01:55 PM
normally if no one is around il pick up anything. thats because back in like fifth grade a lady told me " a couple more makes a dollar ". yeah i got money enough to buy my FBM trigger from just saving up whatever i see here and there on the ground. i dont pick up anything but a quarter infront of ppl like in a line. and if someone drops one i always try to pick it up and return it.

stylinbeaver
10-25-2006, 02:18 PM
If someone is with me I'll wait till they turn there back and then pick it up. I usually will pick it up though. I'm so tight that I sqeak when I walk:)

Ace24
10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
I pick up everything. I dont care what people think. Last time I cashed my coin jar, it was over $90.

Hob Hayward
10-25-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm along with those who don't care asbout pennies, but I usualy keep other change. I might pick up a nickel, I dunno.

durrell
10-25-2006, 02:33 PM
I throw my spare change in a cup everyday. After about 6 months I usually have 70-80 dollars saved up.

claustrophobia9
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
i use all the change i can, if i cant use it, it ends up in a bin.

DRAGON
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Anyone know that pennies pre a certain year(me tinks some time in the 80's) pennies were actually made of copper? They have since then copper plated zinc(aluminum). These pre zink pennies are actually worth more than one cent in copper weight. Take a penny and scrape it with something sharp. The zink will pop through the thin layer of copper -

I made one of those change jars from a water bottle. Thing is, once it gets about 1/4 filled you're not going to move it very easily let alone pick it up. I used to throw my change at the end of every day in it. You'd be surprised how easily just change adds up quickly in just doing that -

pbfreak3221
10-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I had a old glass thing for water, and filled that up, and ended up having over 500 dollars in it after a year and a half.

TheRedBarron
10-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I dont use change, at the end of the day I put it into one of those office sized water jug and once that fills I roll it and then take it to the bank putting the cash straight into my daughters college fund. however if I drop a penny, or a nickle I do pick it up, not because it is money but because I pick up everything that I drop on the ground. If I am rooting through my pockets and drop a toothpick or some lint I will bend over and pic k it up, it would be rude if you ask me to leave stuff on the ground that you had dropped there, why make someone work to pick up somthing you dropped, whether it be money or trash? That is somthing that has always bothered me.

SharpObjects
10-26-2006, 10:45 AM
I think people are just too lazy to pick up money they dropped. I pick up everything I see and no one says anything about it.

This reminds me of a funny story. Just a few weeks ago, me and my 2 friends went to a walgreens and superglued a one-dollar bill and some pennies to the ground. We sat on the side about 15 feet away, and when people would try to pick it up, we'd point at them and laugh.

Ah, good times, gooood times....

Theheroguy
10-26-2006, 11:22 AM
my $27 in quarters helpedpay for my vs

Ares
10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
i pick up everything i see and save all my change. it really adds up over time. after one school year, i had $130 in change

DRAGON
10-26-2006, 04:14 PM
.........I pick up everything that I drop on the ground. If I am rooting through my pockets and drop a toothpick or some lint I will bend over and pic k it up, it would be rude if you ask me to leave stuff on the ground that you had dropped there, why make someone work to pick up somthing you dropped, whether it be money or trash? That is somthing that has always bothered me.

Let's hope you leave some of your droppings in the latrine - ;)

calebh
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
i throw all my change into a jar on my desk at the end of the day. as for picking things up, only dimes and larger. it really is surprising how fast all that change adds up.

and i would say get rid of the penny.