PDA

View Full Version : People who have gone to college or are soon..

durrell
10-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Well the time has come from me to decide what in God's name I want to do with my life. All my teenage years I have figured upon being an engineer. Even recently, I got the major requirements for a B.S. in Engineering. But it is also recently that I have realized how much I have a sincere hatred for math. So engineering is looking worse and worse by the day. My best subjects are History and English. I also enjoy politics. I've considered majors in History and Political Science, with a minor in business? I know I would enjoy either of those, but the question is what I could do with them. History covers such a broad spectrum of things, I really would have the option to do things in many fields from journalism to being a historian.

So basically what I'm asking is..when you went into college..how did you decide on what major to choose? What did you base it off of? Did you just always know you wanted to do that major? I just don't like this feeling of being a high school senior and not knowing what major I want to go into. I do know I'd like to go to UNC Chapel Hill, which is more of an arts and social sciences school. It has always been a dream of mine to go there and I plan to transfer there from my local community college.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated from you older, wiser members. :p

And please, no one come in here and tell me to go somewhere for partying. I don't party and I never will. It just holds no interest for me. So unless you have something to contribute to solving this dilemma for me, then don't bother with the "college is for partying" BS. :D

shunut
10-24-2006, 07:55 PM
You are young and will probably change your mind 10-20 times on what your major is going to be. My suggestion is don't declare your major yet, go get your pre-reqs out of the way and you will figure it out somewhere in there.

Nader
10-24-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm not Older and *ahem* Wiser.....but I agree with Shu; it's what I'm doing now.

timmyshoota
10-24-2006, 08:07 PM
I changed my major 4 times before settling on Photography. I had always seen the pics the local photo buffs had taken on a local car forum and I got interested. Bought a camera and got hooked. I'm going for my associates in applied art right now, and after that I'm gonna enroll in a school for the arts to get my bachelors.

I think you should go into politics. Maybe not in the representative aspect, but in some other way.

durrell
10-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I think you should go into politics. Maybe not in the representative aspect, but in some other way.

Any suggestions? Are you speaking of something like maybe a lobbyist or something of that sort?

And I have already gotten almost 30 hours of pre-reqs out of the way as a high schooler..so I really need to start seeing if there's anything I can get out of the way for my actual major while I'm getting my 2 year at the community college.

FredPo
10-24-2006, 08:27 PM
D, you are going to want to go into something that really interests you. If you hate math, I am highly advising you not to go into engineering as you already know it'll be a lot of math. I too wanted to be an engineer in high school but I realized that I hate math. I had read a little bit of psychology and I was really interested in it, hence I took up psychology. I enjoy reading most of the psy textbooks I have and being interested allows me to easily engage myself into the subject. In essence, you should choose something you enjoy studying and in college, you'll figure out what you want to do with your knowledge in your area of interest. Don't be persistant on knowing your career before you enter college as you may change your mind throughout college.

Fred

timmyshoota
10-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Any suggestions? Are you speaking of something like maybe a lobbyist or something of that sort?

And I have already gotten almost 30 hours of pre-reqs out of the way as a high schooler..so I really need to start seeing if there's anything I can get out of the way for my actual major while I'm getting my 2 year at the community college.
I'm not really sure of all the jobs in politics, so I can't think of something that would fit you. I agree with Fred though, do something you are REALLY interested in. All my friends who dropped out, and I, were not really interested completely in our majors and dropped out. I only recently went back when I found something that interested me.

calebh
10-24-2006, 09:12 PM
college is for partying :P

but seriously. im more of a take life as it comes kind of guy. im a senior, and i dont have a real specific idea of what i want to do with my life either. i do know im not going to a community college. i want to get as far away as possible from my current rest-stop-on-the-interstate/town, cuz it sucks. and somewhere different will have different opportunities for me to find something that truly interests me. right now, the list of majors im interested in is pretty long. poli sci, theology, philosophy, psychology, sociology, history, anthropology, music, business management (esp. music business management :D), comp. sci, law, heck, most forms of art appeal to me, whether photography, writing, design, architecture... you get the idea. if general scholar is a major, its for me :D

anywho, my plan is just to experience as much as i can the first few years of college and go from there. whatever i end up doing, i want to help others. i dont want to be some 40 year old guy who gets burned out cuz im not living for anything or anyone but myself.

Hoppy11
10-25-2006, 12:07 AM
OK.. Well as soon as I took my first drafting class my sophmore year in HS, I was hooked. So throughout HS I took more drafting classes and CAD classes (4), and one year long architecture class. I loved it. So my junior and senior year I really started looking into what colleges have good archi programs. Well there are only 3 colleges in Michigan that have archi programs.. so I applied to all three.. got accepted to all three and got scholarships to all three. So then I had a decision and long story short, I found out that the college I am atending now, Lawrence Technological University, is one of the most acredited colleges in Michigan and even the nation for arch. So here I am now, writing this post at 4 in the morning from my dorm at LTU. I am very happy so far and should have a good future ahead of me.

BTW - If any of that sounds like complete bogus or w/e it is prolly because I have gotten about 7 hours of sleep in the past 64 hours and spent a majority of that time hovering over a drafting board.. my brain feels like a big ass pile of mush. Welcome to architecture :D..............

vikingshadow
10-25-2006, 03:59 AM
I was the guy that teachers always chose to be the future "teacher." I don't know why, but I hated the idea - there was no way I was going to be a teacher.

When I went to college the first time, I was geared to go into advertising because I loved the show "Who's the Boss?" where the main female character was in advertising and made it sound awesome. BUT, I also considered coaching (I played baseball at the time.) Then, I went through a couple of computer classes (early 80's, wish I had foresight ability back then!) then a few art history classes before finally coming full circle to advertising and graphics design.

When I graduated, I got into advertising (finally) and ended up HATING it. I had recently gotten married, and she had tons of nephews and neices - seriously, like 20. I was spending a lot of time around them, when one day it hit me - I think teaching would be cool, but not at the HIGH SCHOOL level, I'd teach GRADE SCHOOL!

Went back to school and got my teaching degree, now I love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

What I'm saying is, you never know what you're going to like until you actually get into it. First thing you should do is speak to your high school counselor - ask her for some information on the fields you like. Then go to your prospective colleges/universities and see what kind of degrees they offer (one of the cool things I found was that there were so many degrees within each subject!)

Then, once you get to college, keep an open mind. Don't declare a major for a couple of years - get your basics out of the way and talk to your advisors. By then, you should be able to come up with an idea....

Also, find a school that has an active partying scene - not necessarily for the parties (though you should attend a few - networking in college is one of the best things for your future you could do.) What I've found is that at those colleges, the teachers are more relaxed and loose and actually TEACH you what you need to know, not just give you cold facts and stuff...you can also get more personal with them.

Relax! There's plenty of time for you to "find yourself." I think with History and English as your primary thoughts, teaching might be good. The world needs more good teachers - you can start with teaching in mind, then move up to politics or teaching in college or whatever....

Moe
10-25-2006, 07:13 AM
I am majoring in history to become a high school teacher. I'm a freshman, and have been conviced that is what I wanted to do for a long time. I don't know now! Other things are definitely going through my head. Just pick something you know you will have fun with.

QAZ123
10-25-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm 26 and still in school. I came out of high school wanting to go into computer's. Now I hate working on them with a passion. Switched to more of a human services degree.. They don't make anything... Now I'm going for more of a visual communication's/graphic design area which is something that alway's has interested me.

JB.

xtraking
10-25-2006, 09:04 AM
wow D im in the same boat you are, literally. I do great in englsih and history, and hate math.

But i got another yera to think about that stuff till college. But psychology interests me some as well.
However, i think law school would be good for me, becuase i love to debate, i know how to debate in a "debating" environment, and i like politics which just gives me another aspect of it.

Who knows.
Dave

emf7301
10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Every college will always have parties. Usually there is one every month put on by the different greeks where there's always drinking. Then there are the parties with your friends and clubs that are just as much if not more fun than the wasted frat parties. Trust me, i am at a geek school and there still are frat parties; you'll never get away from them. It's all a matter of who you surround yourself with.

As for a major, if you aren't sure, go in as undecided. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm in my first semester at UTDallas and i'm declared as a software engineer. I enjoy programming and learning how computers work, but i'm still not positive that i want to stay in this field. My main suggestion is that take your core classes and whichever ones you like more, take more of them. Eventually you can look at all your course credits and figure out which major you are truly working towards. Just don't forget to vary your classes. Pretty much every major requires you to take some extra hours in something outside of your field. For example, even though i'm SE right now, i'm gonna probably take an intro psychology course because it's interesting to me right now.

The main point is that you don't have to choose a major right away and you shouldn't if you truly can't decide. Just work on the cores and some other classes that interest you because pretty much every major has similar if not the same cores and require other classes outside the major's requirements. Stick with the classes that appeal to you and that should help you.

DFSniper
10-25-2006, 01:08 PM
man, i have no idea what im gonna do... i wanted to do the whole army officer thing, but changed my mind about two years ago. then i wanted to do some kind of engineering, but just like D, i have a dislike for math (not that im bad at it, i have an 86 in physics right now). so now im looking into PC hardware installation/repair.

plans for now:
take online/community college classes for 2 years (and live w/ the 'rents)
find out what i want to do with my life before i finish up my last 2 years of college.

DFSniper
10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
But psychology interests me some as well.
according to my vice principle, most people that get psychology degrees have trouble finding jobs in the real world, because the degrees are so easy to get. his daughters first job after college was flippin' burgers.

marvin-martian
10-25-2006, 01:27 PM
im a senior, and i have no idea what im going to do after highschool. im 95% sure im going to college, but im clueless beyond that. this is the age where you have to start making big decisions for the first time in your life. up until now, everything you had to do was layed out on a plate for you to pick up. now you have to make up your own mind about what you want. im so confused as to where i want to go, let alone my major or occupation.

vwjimmy
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Well, I declared my major of Mechanical Engineering right away. I had been fixing things for years and it seemed to fit. Two college math classes later, I changed to Business. You know, you do not have to decide right now. My father was a college history professor and he loved it, My oldest son (High School Senior) plans on majoring in history but he is not sure either. These are the years when you learn who you really are and what you really want to do. Don't rush it. It is alright to not know right now. It is good that you have some directions that interest you....explore them this year and then decide. :)

spyderpaintball
10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
If your not sure then definatly go in a Undecided in the area that you are looking (Business, Arts, Engineering, ect.). There is nothing wrong with that. Half of my freshman SBA class is Undecided right now. Now I am only a freshman, but here is how I went about my decisions.

I decided to declare Economics as my major and I am fairly certain that it is a good choice. I will in the next couple semesters declare my second major in Finance concentrated on investments. If thats how I end up I will be happy but who knows.

durrell
10-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Well after talking to a current student at UNC, I've pretty much decided that's where I want to be. I know I want to minor in Business, possibly major..but the question is what do I want my major to be if I make business my minor?

Bah. I also need to take the SAT..

DFSniper
10-26-2006, 06:26 AM
lol, me too d. im one of two seniors at my school that still hasnt taken it. i have about 4 days to sign up for the one in december (might interfere with sports, but if the coach doesnt like it, he can take it and shove it...)

we were all playing around with the electrical equipment (lights, batteries, motors, etc) in physics today because we had a sub and our teachers cool and didnt leave us with anything to do, and i ended up rediscovering my love for electricity...might have to look in electrical engineering as a major...

durrell
10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I may not even take it, it's not required...it just looks good.

It seems everyday I prove to myself my interest and love for politics, so I just don't know what to do. The only thing that scares me about politics is the fact that I have no idea what career I would pursue out of college..

calebh
10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
the funny thing about political science is that anything can happen. one of my friends is at university of texas in austin right now working for carol keeton strayhorn rylander (hope i got all her names right rofl). shes one of the 5 candidates for guvner this year. another one is at austin college in sherman and she just started getting involved with some program that could have her working in or with or around some embassy or something (you get the idea, right? lol) like right after college.

durrell
10-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah..there's definitely alot of possibilites...that's really looking like what I may end up doing. And I'll minor in business just in case.

spyderpaintball
10-27-2006, 06:26 AM
My recomendation is to take the SAT. I didnt need it either but I still took it. Didnt end up so well. Took the December one and had the flu the day of the test. Worst 4 hours of my life.

OOB
10-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Lets see I spent 4.5 years in college majoring in Computer Science and minor in business. I had my first job before I finished school. And now my degree doesnt mean much. Just a symbol i finished. This is because in the IT field experience > degree unless you dont have one.

Business majors are good because they cover a wide verity of jobs but for the same reason are jokingly refered the major for people that dont know what to do with their life. Howerver a minor in business will put you in a good spot because no matter what you are doing for a company knowing how your job is affecting the business is a plus.

The trick is to look into something you like doing even if it doesnt pay well. I know tons of people that get paid little but love what they are doing. I also know people who get paid tons and hate what they are doing. Money doesnt always bring with happiness.

spyderpaintball
10-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Business majors are good because they cover a wide verity of jobs but for the same reason are jokingly refered the major for people that dont know what to do with their life. Howerver a minor in business will put you in a good spot because no matter what you are doing for a company knowing how your job is affecting the business is a plus.

I disagree. I know excatly what I want to do in life. Make lots of money :tongue:

emf7301
10-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Unless you go to a community college, I don't know of a single college that will let you in based on HS grades alone. I can not stress enough that you NEED to take either the SAT or ACT (or better yet both). Every single college i looked at required you submit scores from at least one of the two test. In my case, the ACT was my strong point which helped me get my scholarship. The SAT is more of an subjective test that favors those that like literature and have very good literature comprehension skills. The ACT is more objective and favors the analytical thinkers, hence favoring math and science people. With either test, you will have to take an essay writing section.

Hope i clarified some of your concerns. If you have anymore don't hesitate to ask. :D