PDA

View Full Version : Chopping Problem

rodeoshooter
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey all, As some of you know, I recently rebuilt a rodeo with many new parts and a custom paintjob. Howver, it is chopping balls badly. I've tried 3 different bolts, the air pressure seems fine, there are no leaks, tried different barrels, springs, etc, no luck. They seem to be breaking right where the bolt first pushes the paintball in feeder. Could it be a bad ball detent? How do you know if one goes bad (or do they)? Often the very first ball chops, so its not the feeder or hopper. Your insight is greatly appreciated!

Jimmyd24
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
a ball deten is only used to prevent the balls from rolling out of the barrel when you point the gun at a downward angle, try getting an acs bolt, they really help prevent chops, and if not try a new hopper, also are u using really crappy paint or old paint because they tend to chop more

rodeoshooter
10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
OK, maybe I'm not explaining this well.....this is chopping beyond what what simply buying a new bolt or hopper would fix....this is an abnormally high amount, including often the very first ball out, which has nothing to do with the hopper. There is definitely something wrong that is causing this and I can't find it. I have tried the same paint in my identical Rodeo and do not have this problem at all. Please, any ideas?

shunut
10-25-2006, 01:21 PM
What kind of paint are you using? If its chopping on the first shot it sounds to me like it could be that.

Also check the breach and make sure there is no damage and there are no screws sticking out that might be doing it.

I don't think a detent would do it unless it is completely stuck. Take it off and push down on the ball and see if it moves. You might also want to put a little lube on it, something like Dow 33.

rodeoshooter
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
As I said, the paint works fine in my other gun. The detent pushes in no problem also. I can't see any damage on the inside of the chamber/breech either. This is completely baffling me.

Would a bad valve cause this? Its the only part I can think of that didn't get replaced or checked out. I couldn't get it out of the gun (yes I removed the valve screw). Should it just slide out once the screw is removed? I hope you can tell I'm not a total noob at this, but I also don't have the experience that some on here do, which is why I'm asking.

ross * pilot
10-25-2006, 03:22 PM
it could be that liquid co2 is seeping in causing a horrendous velocity spike, causing your ball to explode... anyways, take your gun apart, inspect your breach by holding it up to a light and looking down it.. look for scratches, nicks, bumps, paint.. whatever.. drag a towel through it or polish it.

vwjimmy
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
You could have a feedneck or detent screw that is too long, sticking into the breach. Or the feedneck could be out of round making the ball hang. Have you tried different barrels? Have you manually moved the bolt back and forth with a ball in there to see if it clears without hanging on something?

rodeoshooter
10-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, thanks Jimmy. I've tried barrels, checked the breech, etc. I'll try a different feedneck next and see. I'm stumped, about ready to give it up and pack that marker away.

rodeoshooter
10-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I think I've figured it out. I think the trigger sear is holding the cocked bolt back too far (as compared to my other Rodeo) causing the bolt to hit the paintball rather than just push it. I think I'm going to have to replace the whole trigger, unless there's a way to adjust that, but I can't find one.

Oscum Guy
10-26-2006, 02:12 PM
OK, maybe I'm not explaining this well.....this is chopping beyond what what simply buying a new bolt or hopper would fix....this is an abnormally high amount, including often the very first ball out, which has nothing to do with the hopper. There is definitely something wrong that is causing this and I can't find it. I have tried the same paint in my identical Rodeo and do not have this problem at all. Please, any ideas?
my friend brass eagle. i mean black mamba chops evry ball. well fix it tho.

rodeoshooter
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Good luck with it. I know I feel like I know my marker better having gone through this, that's for sure!

Hob Hayward
10-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I know that it could be a bolt problem, but you said you tried a bunch of bolts? If the top tube is too big or the bolt too small you get weird turbulence that just kills the ball in the chamber or the barrel.