PDA

View Full Version : If the Democrats took control of Congress

Drefish99
10-19-2006, 07:29 AM
With Nov elections right around the corner I thought I would see what the feel of the forum was...

If the Democrats took control of Congress, what part of their agenda would concern you the most?

bamf-hacker
10-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Taxes.... UGGGGHHHHH

vikingshadow
10-19-2006, 07:36 AM
I'm looking at the first two - whether the war on Terror was necessary or not, we're in it now and I think if we back down, we do more harm to ourselves than good. We have to stay the course now.

Taxes, well - self explanatory!

I could care less about the 3rd one....that's all politically biased anyways.

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 08:30 AM
None of the above.

The fear of having every republican on this board complain constantly would be my biggest concern.

Mech Warrior
10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
All of the above, plus about 3 dozen other concerns. Of course, the Republicans aren't much better these days.

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Of course, the Republicans aren't much better these days.
Don't tell them that. They won't believe you.

vikingshadow
10-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Let's not start the Republican vs Demo crap again -

It also seems to me that back then there were JUST as many Democrats complaining as Republicans. In my opinion, we got MORE than enough of this 4 years ago....

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Let's not start the Republican vs Demo crap again -
You can't have this thread without it being Republican vs Democrat. Its obviously coming from a Republican and meant to bash Democrats. There is no way you can say there are as many Democrats on this board as Republicans. The R's FAR outnumber the D's, just as christians far outnumber non-christians.

shunut
10-19-2006, 11:01 AM
I think we should start another poll...

How long will it take this poll to get shutdown?

Where is D? I'm sure he has some stuff to add here.

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Where is D? I'm sure he has some stuff to add here.I don't think he wants to get into a political debate. He's avoided them since the last election and what happened on KUSA.

vikingshadow
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Timmy - ok, so the Reps outweigh the dems in this forum. It happens. I know that the Reps are seriously outweighed in a place like PBNation. It happens. I'm sure somewhere there's equal balance somewhere, but it isn't here. I agree the potential for this to get out of hand, but you don't need to start it off with the first shot.

From what I could see of the responses prior to yours (mine and BAMF's) it was not a DEM vs REP thing. Yours is the only one that wsa an attack...If you wanna hear more, the concerns I have ALSO apply to if the REPs continue to hold office. Don't you hate taxes? I do - I know I need to pay them and they're necessary, but it's just one parties idea of fair taxes or the other. These concerns are a legitimate issue, no matter who holds office. I hope they don't go up, no matter who gets the majority. I also believe what I said about the war. It's not rep or dems that concern me. Any American citizen should be concerned with these issues. However, let's not go about making this a "The Republicans are a bunch of complainers" and "The Democrats are a bunch of sissies" crap.

None of the above.

The fear of having every republican on this board complain constantly would be my biggest concern.

Of course, the Republicans aren't much better these days.
Don't tell them that. They won't believe you.

So you felt the need to get the first bloody shot in? Before any of us "republicans" come in and trash the democrats? What I'm saying is that this doesn't need to be kickstarted with anti-anything, regardless of the intention of the original poster. Possibly a civilized thought or two, without bashing the republicans of this forum would have been a better response?

Before you get upset, I would have said the same thing about a Republican response such as yours as well. I just don't think it's necessary. A civilized debate, yes - hatred and name calling - no.

Shunut - I can close this as well, but I'll hold it open until it starts becoming negative. PBNation has a forum for those wanting to get jumpy. Feel free to go there and speak all you want. I don't have closing or deleting powers there, so feel free!

vikingshadow
10-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't think he wants to get into a political debate. He's avoided them since the last election and what happened on KUSA.

I also evade them usually, but I wasn't trying to say anything with my original post - negative one way or the other. Those concerns are legitimate concerns every American should have, no matter who's in office.

Drefish99
10-19-2006, 01:15 PM
As I have stated in the previous forum I am no more of a republican than a democrat. I just choose who I vote for by weighing out the issues that they believe in. This can be difficult from all the mudslinging in the campaigns where the one candidate is trying to put words in the other candidates mouth. Lately I have just been siding with the republican party due to the clearly outlined goals that they want to achieve in the next few years than the Dems not even stating what they believe in anymore. Just telling the Republicans that they are doing everything all wrong. If they have better ideas then why don't they share it instead of waiting for November when they take over the House and Senate? Just confusing.

TheRedBarron
10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I have yet to enter a political debate with anyone on these boards, nor do I want to start, the last election was bad for everyone when it came to debates.

splater18
10-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Gay marrige will be leagalized

I'm not saying that bad i kinda support it people should be able to do what they want to do even if some people dont like it

vwjimmy
10-19-2006, 03:15 PM
None of the above.

QFT

Theheroguy
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
I think I'm going to be more of on the middle democrat/liberal side. My mom is a conservative democrat who believes in abortion (what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

marvin-martian
10-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I think I'm going to be more of on the middle democrat/liberal side. My mom is a conservative democrat who believes in abortion (what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
which is why i say political labels are dumb

Hob Hayward
10-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Meh, I say none will concern me really. I just hope that they fix the taxes. As in tax the rich more, not like teh cheapo Bush.

claustrophobia9
10-26-2006, 12:06 PM
As in tax the rich more, not like teh cheapo Bush.
two guys walk in to a bar, both buy the same drink, but one is charged more because he is rich... is that fair? why tax the rich more? everyone (should, and if not it should be adjusted so that the amount taxed more is only equal to the amount of extra services) recieves equal services under the government then why should a select few be punished for making more money. :mad: i do however believe taxes should be optional, like a home security system, or insurance.... you pay it and then when something happens they help you out, but if you dont pay it you are SOL when something does happen, dumb choice for you.

Hob Hayward
10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Thats just because your rich. Thing is, right now the rich are taxed the least of anyone, and they're the ones who can afford it the most.

claustrophobia9
10-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Thats just because your rich. first of all, I am not rich, i am still a minor which means i currently have no property rights and am subordinant to my parents, you could argue that my parents are rich, but after you buy a really expensive thing... you tend to have less money. that would be like me taxing you more because you dug in your back yard until you found a hunk of gold and didnt sell it.Thing is, right now the rich are taxed the least of anyone, and they're the ones who can afford it the most.just because the rich can afford being taxed doesnt mean they should. american society is based on social mobility and if you continually oppress many who have earned what they now have (others inherit it) then you are completely smashing that which america was founded on, sure, many people were born into poverty and they arent to blame for their monetary status, but that's a fact of life. you dont chop off a baby's arm just because another baby was born without one
do you have a support i could examine, im not really sure i understand what you are saying. are you saying poorer people are taxed more in comparison to the amount of money they make (ie tax percent is higher?) or are you saying the amount of money a poorer person sends to the government is more money than a rich person sends to the government?

durrell
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
The problem with the Liberals running Congress isn't anything on that list. The things they want to change are things that are moral issues that have been accepted for hundreds of years until now. Abortion, gay marriage, gun control. We can just plan on bending over and taking it up the tailpipe if the Democrats take over the country.

claustrophobia9
10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
the problem with that is who is the government to decide what you believe morally?

Theheroguy
10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
The problem with the Liberals running Congress isn't anything on that list. The things they want to change are things that are moral issues that have been accepted for hundreds of years until now. Abortion, gay marriage, gun control. We can just plan on bending over and taking it up the tailpipe if the Democrats take over the country.

dude thats way out of lineand insulting thats rude to gay people and democrats in general. Just because your amod doesn't mean you can say any thing you want

before anyone tries it I'm not gay

marvin-martian
10-26-2006, 04:19 PM
dude thats way out of lineand insulting thats rude to gay people and democrats in general. Just because your amod doesn't mean you can say any thing you want

before anyone tries it I'm not gay
he was stating his fears of what would happen. it wasnt bad at all...

durrell
10-26-2006, 06:20 PM
he was stating his fears of what would happen. it wasnt bad at all...

Thanks marv.

Hero, you have a PM. ;)

bigred76
10-26-2006, 08:58 PM
It's odd hearing about "gun control" from a guy who hunts from the back of his pick-up truck. :rolleyes: (had to say it, LOL!)

Before this thread gets out of hand and locked, I wanted to say this: What will come, will come. None of your discussions will change it. If a Democrat gets elected, who cares? If a Republican gets elected, who cares? Parties don't matter at all to me. The person themself is what I'm interested in, and I honestly am repulsed by people judging others based on what party they closest align to.

Now that I've said my bit, back to your regularly scheduled Party v.s. Party discussion. ;)

thechubbss12
10-27-2006, 04:11 AM
I Like the country just the way it is.... Gay marrages still a no (FTW), Abortion on the fence causeing alot of people to not get some, we are in a war, and gas prices are going down....

IMO that all works for the good for me.... As for if the demos take over... i would be afraid i would get impeached :dodgy:

shunut
10-27-2006, 07:03 AM
There is only one issue you guys speak of that I disagree with and that is gay marriage. How does that affect your morals? If they are legally allowed how will that change your morals? If they were allowed it would not affect you at all, so whats the big deal. I guess having a loved one who is gay (I have a cousin who is gay) might change your perspective on this. I can't say I'm an advocate for gay people or want to hear or see about their life, but why, if 2 partners love each other, can't they get married? You can say "It says in the bible" all you want but then what happened to separation of church and state. Honestly why should the government have a say in it at all?

spyderpaintball
10-27-2006, 08:20 AM
As muh as I like to stay out of threads like this becuase the crazies on both sides cant seem to handle a moderate view point. Unfortunatly Dre your options are a little biased. Terms like "Cut and Run" do have a negative conatation to them.

Now that being said. I hope the Democrats take control. Namely because then Congress and the President are on opposite sides at least for the next 2 years. That way nothing radical will happen. Even if a Democrat controled congress pushs something like Gay Marriage through do you really think the president will approve it? No I doubt he would. There are not enough seat available to take to override a veto. That being said now the President wont have a blank slate to push through legislation. Now there will have to be at least some bi-partisan agreement to get laws passed.

Now on to my stance on the following issues that you guys happen to be talking about:

Taxes. I dislike it everytime that any party that keeps cutting taxes. We are running in a deficit economy right now and they want to cut their income?!?!? that make no sense to me. I would be all for either a small tax raise if the economics approve (Laffer Curve). Or rewriting the tax code, or implementing a National Sales Tax instead of the current income tax system(which I feel is not that good due to all of the various loopholes and deduction). Once again only if the economics approve of such a move.

War on Terror. Well we are in it and there is nothing denying that. I dont feel as though we can effectivally "Cut and Run" as Dre put it becuase there is no exit strategy in Iraq. I woud however like to see some new ideas since "Staying the Course" hasnt seem to work.

Gay Marriage. I dont like Gay MARRIAGE. Note capitals. I would not be opposed to Civil Unions for gays that provide the same legal standing as married couples. I just dont agree with the term Marriage. To me Marriage is a religious term meaning the union between male and female.

Gun Control. Dont ban guns. Make the penalties for gun crimes harsher and the process for getting guns a little harder. If you are legally buying a gun and have nothing to hide why would you mind if it took an extra 2 weeks and a mandatory FBI/CIA background check? Personally I dont see the problem with that.

Thats all for now. [/Soap Box]

Theheroguy
10-27-2006, 01:44 PM
at least someone makes sense

Chris Cole
10-27-2006, 03:10 PM
You forgot none of the above. Good government runs on balance and compromise. One party controlling both the legislative and executive branch leads to neither. Here endeth the lesson.

claustrophobia9
10-27-2006, 07:07 PM
You forgot none of the above. Good government runs on balance and compromise. One party controlling both the legislative and executive branch leads to neither. Here endeth the lesson.
pendulum effect.

calebh
10-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Before this thread gets out of hand and locked, I wanted to say this: What will come, will come. None of your discussions will change it.

well, thats why you vote for me for prez in 08 :D