PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated chat...

OtterSC
10-19-2006, 05:30 AM
good day all. i am wanting some feedback. would those here be interested in a dedicated chat room? i know that there is the AOL AIM 'KUSA Chat'. just something i may look into if there is interest.

i mean, not everybody has AOL AIM. even though it is free to get a name and there are 3rd party programs that allow you to log onto AIM without the need to install the AIM program like GAIM from google.

thechubbss12
10-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Sounds awesome... as long as it doesnt cost you money...

bamf-hacker
10-19-2006, 05:52 AM
I am for it... I would be nice not to have to use the aim chat, but only if it is free.

vwjimmy
10-19-2006, 06:19 AM
I am for it... I would be nice not to have to use the aim chat, but only if it is free.
:yeahthat:

TheRedBarron
10-19-2006, 06:38 AM
I think many of the people who go the the AIM chat would migrate over, I have always thought it was a good idea.

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Sure.

OtterSC
10-19-2006, 06:47 AM
technically speaking, the chat is free to all to join in and chat.

it is the program that will cost money out of my pocket. if i see it right, it is under $200.

but it is something that i can host and not depend on AIM, mIRC, and other 3-rd party chat programs/sites.

i downloaded a 30-day trial. says it uses ASP and will allow those behind a firewall to jump in. will also allow moderation if one chooses.

just getting a feel for what this community would like. if it is a good response, then i will pursue it further and see what it takes to run.

OtterSC
10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
huh.... i will let the poll go through the weekend. if i do not see a "For" that is 75-80%, i guess i will not look into it.

here is what it would cost me... a one time purchase of $150.00. then, it will be $12.00 extra per year on top of the current web site cost that i am paying. unless i go to a full windows host.

in anycase, the bottom line is, no cost you you guys if i host the chat. and yes, i will make an appearing from time to time.

the way i look at it, i either do this chat thing... or do a forum. but i think we can all come here to the forum for q & a.

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 09:45 AM
I made this suggestion prior, but you should look into having Patrons on this forum. Donate a set amount of money and get priveledges, like higher PM count, special name color, yadda yadda. You could use the extra money to support the chat, Non-profit style. I dunno if its possible with Kingman owning the forum, but you never know.

TheRedBarron
10-19-2006, 09:48 AM
I would be ASM here. Like Timmyshooter suggested if it is at all possible.

OtterSC
10-19-2006, 10:49 AM
ah, this chat will not be hosted nor associated with Kingman. this is all my doing for the Spyder community on my site. Kingman and Spyder.tv are not in any way responsible for this.

now, if you want to be mods on the chat, then you could always buy your way into the position.

i am also looking at other programs. maybe institute a temporary one to see how things go.

funny, i tell the wife about how much trafic i get on the site. this is closely followed by a b-slap and the comment, "and your not making any money?!?!" she wants me to do a monthly newsletter to those that donate/pay. well, i will not bore you and go into my philosophy as to why i do not have sponsors on the site.

bamf-hacker
10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
OK seriously Otter... If you do set this up I for one will donate to the fund.

All that you do for us it is the least we can do back for you.

And for those of you that have not picked up your Otter bubbles get them....

http://www.ottersccustoms.com/help-2.html

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 11:56 AM
now, if you want to be mods on the chat, then you could always buy your way into the position.
Does that go for moderating here as well? ;)

OtterSC
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Does that go for moderating here as well? ;)

yup... it is called donating your spare time. :rolleyes: