PDA

View Full Version : email and no spam...

OtterSC
10-16-2006, 04:14 AM
question for you web page gurus.

is there an effective way to keep bots from harvesting your email? :rolleyes:

bamf-hacker
10-16-2006, 04:51 AM
best way is to mask the address.

otteristheman at gmail dot com

the bots look for a combo of @ and .

also having mailto: code is a sure way to get spam from bots.

shunut
10-16-2006, 05:13 AM
I sold my Ego yesterday on eBay. I emailed the buyer a couple questions I had for them and to congratulate them and I got an odd email back. This is what it said:

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Then I had to fill out my name, email address and a brief message stating my business. It also had one of those boxes with the weird numbers that you have to type in the box below.

Its a pain but if you really want spam control I could see this working well.

DFSniper
10-16-2006, 05:22 AM
i use AIM, and i get almost zero spam mail (i get about 2-3 a month compared to gmail's 400+!)

bamf-hacker
10-16-2006, 05:31 AM
sorry for the off topic!

WAHHHHOOOOOO SHUNUT!!!! Congrats!

on back on topic :)

RomeNYRR
10-16-2006, 06:28 AM
best way is to mask the address.

otteristheman at gmail dot com

the bots look for a combo of @ and .

also having mailto: code is a sure way to get spam from bots.

this is a great way to stop the spam or just get a spam app and setup some strong filters

TheRedBarron
10-16-2006, 07:15 AM
I just dont give out my email unless people need it, I dont get ANY spam to my inbox.

MatthewTheTheif
10-16-2006, 09:42 AM
i have a dedicated email adress that is for stuff i need to sign up for, and it holds all my spam, and then i have a "real" adress that i use for email, i get alot of spam, but i dont have to look at it alot

calebh
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
gmail's spam filter works REALLY well for me. out of 600+ spam emails a month, only a few will land in my inbox, and ive never had a problem with legit mail being sent to the spam box. theres really no surefire way to not get spam except for those services that require you to approve anyone who sends you mail. just signing up for stuff on the net will get you spam, and i seem to be getting a lot of spam for someone named caleb isaacs... go figure...

my suggestion would be just get a good filter, and gmails got one of the best, imo.

DFSniper
10-17-2006, 07:33 AM
gmail's spam filter works REALLY well for me. out of 600+ spam emails a month, only a few will land in my inbox, and ive never had a problem with legit mail being sent to the spam box. theres really no surefire way to not get spam except for those services that require you to approve anyone who sends you mail. just signing up for stuff on the net will get you spam, and i seem to be getting a lot of spam for someone named caleb isaacs... go figure...

my suggestion would be just get a good filter, and gmails got one of the best, imo.

yeah, it filters out the spam, but i thought you guys meant filtering stuff so that it doesnt even get through the system. ALL my gmail spam ends in the spam filter, and the same with my AIM.