PDA

View Full Version : I need a backup...

timmyshoota
10-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah, so that pretty much sums it up. I'm selling my car, and when that sells I'm gonna buy a backup marker. I love my Timmy, but if anything goes wrong, I need something I can pick up and shoot people with. I didn't need this when I wasn't playing tourneys, but now I do. I'd really like to buy something new, but might have to go with used because of my fundage. I'll make ~$900 on my car, so thats what I have to play with. Anyone who knows me knows I know my stuff when it comes to markers, I just dunno which one I want to buy. I've always had success with pin valve markers, but I'm really interested in a few spools. I'm also not sure what position I'll be playing next season. I've always been a front/mid, but I may end up switching to back. I'll be playing 7-man, so running out of air is not an option. If I stick to playing front, I know I'm safe with whatever choice. Anyways, just look at the options, pick one and give me a reasoning.

bamf-hacker
10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Get a blemmed DM6...

Dye has them but you need to get a store to get one for you.

And you get a good deal on them. Most of the time it is just the anno that is off.

durrell
10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Try an Ego or an NXT. Something you haven't owned.

timmyshoota
10-15-2006, 07:19 PM
I've owned an Ego ;)

stylinbeaver
10-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I've owned an Ego ;)
Time for another eh? lol. I say 06 ego.

timmyshoota
10-15-2006, 07:52 PM
I'll let you guys know how I feel on these.

Alias/Gen4 Timmys - I've got a Gen4 right now, so I'd probably lean more towards something different, even though I love my Gen4. Alias...I've had a few, probably would get something else. They are awesome though, so I know it'd be a good cheap backup.

Quest - Haven't played with one yet, friend has one so I might see how it is next week. Heard good things, so I'm interested. Resale value might not be great, and we know how I am with guns. ;)

DM6/PM7 - Haven't owned a DM6, although I had a SM5 w/ UL which is the same as a DM6 except for the different milling and the DM6 has a better LPR. Wasn't happy with the efficiency, but they shoot so smooth. PM7 is probably gonna be $1000 new and I can't afford that...

Shocker SFT/NXT - NXT's look like they'll be great, so I'm really high on those. SFT would give me a good cheap backup that I am familiar with.

Ego/Etek - Never really got to play much with my Ego. I know they are solid performers and are something I'm used to. Only thing I don't like is its a "Me too" gun. "You've got an Ego? Me too" I like my Timmy because I'm the only one at the field with a Gen4. Etek's are rare here, and I'm intrigued by them. Not my top choice, but higher than most.

shunut
10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Well since you are looking for a back up, I see no point getting a Ego or something that expensive.

For the price I think the new Shocker NXT would be an awesome choice. That or maybe a PM6. With the PM7 coming out soon an up'd PM6 is probably going to drop a little in price so you could pick up a nice one for cheap.

Hossy
10-15-2006, 08:05 PM
you can probably get a PM6 on the nation used for like 500 when the PM7 out.
maybe less.

or you can just buy my dm4.. :)

durrell
10-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't think the PM6's will be 1000 dollars new for long. The 925 price of PM6's only lasted about a month and then it dropped down to 625 brand new.

08Lud08
10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Well since you are looking for a back up, I see no point getting a Ego or something that expensive.

For the price I think the new Shocker NXT would be an awesome choice. That or maybe a PM6. With the PM7 coming out soon an up'd PM6 is probably going to drop a little in price so you could pick up a nice one for cheap.I voted for the shocker nxt for the same reason. Why spend alot of money on a backup if you maybe wont use it as much. I would look for something used.

TheRedBarron
10-15-2006, 08:54 PM
A-1

Nader
10-15-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking NXT. Good reviews so far, and pretty good gun for the price. :thumbup:

vikingshadow
10-16-2006, 04:36 AM
While I like the NXT, I'm gonna have to say you should get another Timmy. It's what your primary is, so why would you want something that's going to shoot and feel different, and require different (and sometimes majory different) care, from your primary? Especially if it breaks down between games in a tournament and you won't have the time to become acclimated to the new gun?

In my mind, you don't get a backup to show off something cool and it's an "excuse" to get the latest, greatest thing, you get a backup because your primary broke down and you need something that will smoothly fill in the blanks. If you have two "primary" guns, one isn't EVER going to get used, and that's a waste of a good gun.

IF you were buying one of these to become your new primary, and keep your Timmy as a backup (you're already accustomed to it, so it wouldn't take much to use in a pinch,) I'd feel a bit differently about this, but since you're only getting one to fill a spot in your gear bag, Timmy all the way.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

thechubbss12
10-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Buy an used NME LE.... LOL...

sorry had too

marvin-martian
10-16-2006, 08:08 AM
pick up a used borg

timmyshoota
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
While I like the NXT, I'm gonna have to say you should get another Timmy. It's what your primary is, so why would you want something that's going to shoot and feel different, and require different (and sometimes majory different) care, from your primary? Especially if it breaks down between games in a tournament and you won't have the time to become acclimated to the new gun?

In my mind, you don't get a backup to show off something cool and it's an "excuse" to get the latest, greatest thing, you get a backup because your primary broke down and you need something that will smoothly fill in the blanks. If you have two "primary" guns, one isn't EVER going to get used, and that's a waste of a good gun.

IF you were buying one of these to become your new primary, and keep your Timmy as a backup (you're already accustomed to it, so it wouldn't take much to use in a pinch,) I'd feel a bit differently about this, but since you're only getting one to fill a spot in your gear bag, Timmy all the way.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I agree whole heartedly with what you said. My backup will definately see use though. I will probably alternate using it on practice days, just to get used to it. There is a chance that what I buy could become my primary, but its unlikely because I love my Timmy.The one thing about gun whores, is we get tired of the same gun, which is why I'd lead to something different, because it will give me variety. If I get bored of the Timmy, I break out the backup for a few days and then go back to the Timmy. I'll equate it to food. I eat KFC almost every day for lunch. I love their chicken strips meal because its 3 strips and 2 sides for under $5, and fills me up, but sometimes I gotta mix it up for a few days because I get tired of eating it.

I'm really leaning towards a Shocker SFT because I get probably get a decked out one for under $500 and who cares about looks because its my backup. They are pretty simple too. 3 things to worry about: lube, dwell and HPR pressure. Other than that there's nothing to worry about. We'll see what happens when I sell my car though. I appreciate everyone's opinions though, because it makes me think about things I overlook.

bigred76
10-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Ion. :dodgy:

bamf-hacker
10-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Ion. :dodgy:

THUMP......

***BAMF-HacKeR falls on the floor***

silentpaintballfreak
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
LOL

Ion or Borg. Maybe Etek. Your choice. shotem all. good think with the ion is its cheap and addicting to upgrade. if i bought all the stock banjos and a new frame. i would have another ion. my dad just pointed that out. damn.

timmyshoota
10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
LOL

Ion or Borg. Maybe Etek. Your choice. shotem all. good think with the ion is its cheap and addicting to upgrade. if i bought all the stock banjos and a new frame. i would have another ion. my dad just pointed that out. damn.

I am not getting an Ion. Period. I've shot pretty much everything, its just coming down to deciding.

Muddytaco
10-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Ever thought about a milled viking? They get close to a case per 68/4500 fill. have little kick. Hardly ever go down. Two drops of oil in the asa your good to go. Deff. not a me too gun, you will actually have alot of people not no what it is. Milled ones only weigh about 2 lbs. They are going for around 750-800 on pbn and akaowners.

leed
10-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I looked to see if Claus said to get an Invert MINI. Didn't see it anywhere, but would be a wise investment.

Or...

A1 or Cyborg.

I believe the A1 would be worth all of the money put into buying it, you get a big bang for your buck.

FredPo
10-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Honestly Chris, I'd say get a backup that's similar to what your primary marker is. For one, you're familiar with timmys and for another, having spare parts for both of your guns (primary and secondary) comes in handy. Think of interchangeable parts, same orings, etc. That's my thinking on this matter. Go for another Gen. 4 and a 2k5 style timmy.

Fred

RomeNYRR
10-18-2006, 05:25 AM
get a VS2/3

marvin-martian
10-18-2006, 05:58 AM
get a VS2/3
laf

bamf-hacker
10-18-2006, 06:32 AM
I cant believe it took 24 posts before it was said...

I have been waiting for someone to say VS2/3 :)

TheRedBarron
10-18-2006, 07:29 AM
A1 or Cyborg.

I believe the A1 would be worth all of the money put into buying it, you get a big bang for your buck.
He wont shoot one just because he knows that no matter what he will like it more then his timmy and we cant have that now can we.

claustrophobia9
10-18-2006, 02:24 PM
you need an amg.... the only problem is finding one that someone is looking to sell..... hmmm... who could that be....

timmyshoota
10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
you need an amg.... the only problem is finding one that someone is looking to sell..... hmmm... who could that be....
When I've got money to blow, I'm gonna up another AMG. But for now, I gotta be wise.

timmyshoota
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Okay I've narrowed down my choices. I'm looking at either a Shocker SFT, a PM6 w/ UL frame or a 05'd Dragon/Alias style Timmy. I've found all of these in the $450-550 range. Once I get the money its just a matter of finding the best of those choices available.

marvin-martian
10-20-2006, 11:07 AM
pm6 ftw

phatphil
10-30-2006, 04:36 PM
If you are playing front, SFT Shocker (voted NXT on accident). They shoot nice and are cheap as hell right now. If your field only does 3000 psi fills, then I would stay away from the Shocker. You may not be able to shoot more than 3-4 pods in a game. Otherwise look at 2k5 timmies, Alias ftw.

timmyshoota
10-30-2006, 05:05 PM
If you are playing front, SFT Shocker (voted NXT on accident). They shoot nice and are cheap as hell right now. If your field only does 3000 psi fills, then I would stay away from the Shocker. You may not be able to shoot more than 3-4 pods in a game. Otherwise look at 2k5 timmies, Alias ftw.

I play front in 5 and 7 man, but in 3 man I play back. Right now I'm playing in a 3man series. I only carry 3 pods, but I use a 45/45. I love my Timmy because I don't worry about air. I'm really wanting a SFT right now though. Such a tough decision. I'll be getting money on Friday/Saturday, so I'll be looking to buy soon after.

Sandman_Bravo
10-30-2006, 05:22 PM
SFT ftw!

timmyshoota
10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
SFT ftw!
Actually, I still think SFT FTL, but I'm gonna be smart and get one fully upped from the start. I'd hate to buy a gun only to have to replace EVERYTHING because SP put inferior crap together and called it a Shocker. I really like the Shocker platform, but SP put together one crappy gun when they made the SFT.

Hob Hayward
10-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Cyborg?

Theheroguy
10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I cant believe it took 24 posts before it was said...

I have been waiting for someone to say VS2/3 :)

I just wasn't here yet bamf

pm6 w/ul the look sweet

I heard you can make so they're not gas hogs according to some also

marvin-martian
10-31-2006, 03:47 AM
try to pick up taylors SFT for like 300. hed be making a profit...

timmyshoota
10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
I'd love to but I doubt he'd sell me it at that price. Even though we are homies. *hint*

And wtfz are you doing on the computer at 7am...goto school. :dodgy:

timmyshoota
11-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all the votes guys, and I've found a gun or two. Should be buying one or both of them this week/begining of next week, so expect pics.