PDA

View Full Version : An Explaination of Time

WhatThaSmurf
10-14-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm sure some of you saw this and said, "Time? I don't need someone to explain what time is to me!" But you are wrong. I ask you, what is time? Time is a second, minute, hour, day, etc. right? WRONG! Those are measurements of time. So now I ask you again, what is time? You don't really know do you? So I'll fill you in: time is the fourth dimension. Gasp! Now you're really confused!

I'll explain, but first I must run through a few things:
- a geometrical point has no mass
- a geometrical line has no width, and is infinitely long
- a geometrical plane has no thickness, but it extends infinitely
- all each of these dimensional figures, having no real "size" can has infinite existence within a given space

Now I'm sure that some of you knew this at one point, but I felt I must at least refresh your memories. Now to begin.

A second-dimensional existence (line) is made up of an infinite number of first dimensions (points), all of which exist at the same time which are experienced separately by something moving along that second dimension. Logic tells us the same thing about a third-dimensional existence, too. The same thing goes for a four-dimensional existence (namely, you idiots :dodgy:). While moving through each separate third dimension, we experience a completely different third dimension every single moment. If you don't believe me, you are an idiot. Or you don't have any knowledge of chemistry. Chemistry tells us that particles are always moving, no matter what. So if particles are always moving, then each moment they are in a different position (and a different third dimension). So therefore, as we move through each separate dimension, while existing in the fourth dimension, and each separate moment is a separate dimension, then each third dimension must be a different moment in time! Double gasp! So therefore as we exist in the fourth dimension, we exist in time.

I just want to tell you all that this was all though up by a friend of mine and myself. Although it was already known to the science world that time is the fourth dimension, we set it upon ourselves to understand this concept. No, we are not losers, we just got really bored in study hall the other day. Now if you really want to fry your brains, try to imagine what the fifth dimension would be like, where you could transcend separate fourth dimensions of time (travel through time).

Feel free to express your amazement at my genius.

(tl;dr) I don't care if you are lazy, you are already sitting, how can you be any lazier?

marvin-martian
10-14-2006, 08:38 PM
way too late to comprehend...

kidonfire
10-14-2006, 08:47 PM
wow......I understood about two words....

Nader
10-14-2006, 11:15 PM
don't worry smurf, I'm with ya.

Interesting way of explaining time. :thumbup:

shunut
10-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Not to be mean or anything but I'm not impressed. I wouldn't say you were a genious for the above statement because everything you stated has already been known and proven to be true. Now if you disproved this, then I'd be impressed and would call you a genious.

Nader
10-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Not to be mean or anything but I'm not impressed. I wouldn't say you were a genious for the above statement because everything you stated has already been known and proven to be true. Now if you disproved this, then I'd be impressed and would call you a genious.

I think the reason he's proud is becaue he thought this explanation up with his friend and was able to reason it to himself; not just by being told: "time is the fourth dimension."

I know some things I cannot just be told, I have to reason them out for myself and/or experience them before I completely understand.

durrell
10-15-2006, 09:39 AM
I might would call you a genius if I could force myself to actually care..time = the time on the clock, that's honestly all we need to know. :)

That's the closest post anyone has posted that is anything close to some of the stuff claus thinks up..lol.

Jago Kaast
10-15-2006, 09:47 AM
It does make sense, but it is not amazing to me.

You guys are in High School? I'm assuming so cause college doesn't have study halls. Its good that you guys are thinking on a quazi-higher level. Start thinking about Calculus and how to draw graphs in 3-space and solving equations in 4-space (theres your 4th dimension). Oh, and if you want to think about something that is relativly cool, try figuring out Tesseracts.

Nader
10-15-2006, 09:50 AM
It does make sense, but it is not amazing to me.

You guys are in High School? I'm assuming so cause college doesn't have study halls. Its good that you guys are thinking on a quazi-higher level. Start thinking about Calculus and how to draw graphs in 3-space and solving equations in 4-space (theres your 4th dimension). Oh, and if you want to think about something that is relativly cool, try figuring out Tesseracts.

I'm not, but I think Smurf is....and no, I am not the "friend" that helped Smurf think this up.

bigred76
10-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Smurf, get more sleep. ;)

claustrophobia9
10-15-2006, 10:34 AM
time is a sequential series of infinately small instants which mark events. being a "4th dimension" would insinuate that you could go in different directions, wheras no one has proven the ability to go "back" in time, therefore it isnt a spacial (not special) dimension but rather a dimension under its meaning in physics. time is a guide to the order of occurence.

string theory would actually suggest 10-26 dimensions... so 4 isnt any big whoop.

vikingshadow
10-15-2006, 10:50 AM
That's the closest post anyone has posted that is anything close to some of the stuff claus thinks up..lol.

Jesus - don't get him started! Are you nuts?!?!?!?

Actually, claus, that's only one interpretation of "time." There's another theory (among countless theories) that states that it actually isn't a series of sequential events, rather that everything that is happening in our dimension is not sequential or spread out in another dimension. That's why it's easy for those other dimensions to transcend what we would consider long periods of "time." It could also explain the UFO sightings and, to some, could explain how those "alien species" are able to travel the massive distances so easily. I personally like this theory much better than the "sequence of events" because if this were true, all one would have to do to travel in "time" is to enter this other dimension and exit it in another "time." Another theory, off topic, is that the "aliens" aren't actually aliens, but humans from the future, or a distant possible alternate past (see Atlantians among other cultures that have disappeared.)

Oh, by the way, Einstein actually did prove (mathmatically) that it's possible to go back in time, as well as forward - the problem is we aren't capable of building a machine that will allow us to do that yet - that, and you can only go as far as your own lifetime.

Now, although the time theories are interesting, what I find even more interesting is the possibility of infinite dimensions in which alternate personalities of yourself have taken the millions of different paths that you haven't, from the one little thing, to the multiple large things that come up throughtout our lives. You could be a king in one dimension, a female (or male, depending on what you are here) to being dead in another dimension (ala sliders and almost every science fiction series since the beginning of scifi series.)

Geez - you guys have WAAAYYYY to much time on your hands....of course, so do I and I've had 40 years of hearing about this stuff....I'm such a geek (a geek gets things done, a nerd doesn't - Earthlink - up to 70 times faster! I don't know why that just popped in my head.)

claustrophobia9
10-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Now, although the time theories are interesting, what I find even more interesting is the possibility of infinite dimensions in which alternate personalities of yourself have taken the millions of different paths that you haven't, from the one little thing, to the multiple large things that come up throughtout our lives.
according to theories in quantum mechanics, an infinate number of realities do exist in which the butterfly effect takes place. if you are a believer in free will this theory severly undermines free will because you dont "choose" one path because technically you do all of the paths. meaning that the specific "you" that chooses the path is simply a carrier and you are forced to to that because of the parallel universe you are in.

WhatThaSmurf
10-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Start thinking about Calculus and how to draw graphs in 3-space and solving equations in 4-space (theres your 4th dimension).
I'm taking AP Calculus and AP Physics, thank you very much.

vikingshadow
10-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah - isn't it cool? LOL!

I love discussions like this because everything you believe in can be undermined, or supported, and no one can prove anything!

Of course, then one has to come up with a whole new definition of "free will" and "individuality."

08Lud08
10-15-2006, 11:14 AM
time is money. lol.

MatthewTheTheif
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM
according to theories in quantum mechanics, an infinate number of realities do exist in which the butterfly effect takes place. if you are a believer in free will this theory severly undermines free will because you dont "choose" one path because technically you do all of the paths. meaning that the specific "you" that chooses the path is simply a carrier and you are forced to to that because of the parallel universe you are in.

the only reason i have to disagree on that is that i think that every time you make a decision the "you" in this universe made the choice, whether that was because of someone else doing it opposite or not, you tell me, but i like to think that even if i was influenced somehow, its not proven, so technically, IM the one making decisions and everyone else is following me.

and explanation of time= an invention of the human mind in order to put order in our lives, just try going without looking at a clock some day, its pretty freaking hard to get everything done. so i think the definition up there pretty much supports me, because what is geometry? an invention to help put order into things we see and observe.

(and not to get into religion, but if there are multiple universes where people must take a set path, does that mean that if you choose the path that will lead this universe's you to heaven, you send someone else to hell?)

something to think about before bed

vikingshadow
10-16-2006, 03:27 AM
I believe I heard about a tribe somewhere - not sure, but I think it's in Australia, could be Africa - that actually sees time in reverse. They don't ever think of the future, because it hasn't happened. They only think of the now and the past.

I agree it's a state of mind thing - we needed a way to keep track of events, and this is what we came up with.

Anyone else feeling dizzy? Man, I gotta stop! There's no time to discuss the time....

thechubbss12
10-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Could have just said....

"the 4th deminsion is us going through life" because essentialy that is what you just said compressed into one sentence....

and alot of stuff claus seems to through out there holds little to no value in anyones life... I try to understand it and am usualy succsesful... but after actuly getting it... i kinda sit at my screen and think "why did i waste my time on something i am never going to need or care about again"...

Claus your cool... but overthinking doesnt help...

Theheroguy
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Meh

RomeNYRR
10-17-2006, 04:53 AM
my head hurts lol ;)