PDA

View Full Version : Please talk me into a pilot

CarbineKid
10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi guys. Im new to the forum. As you might have guessed by my screen name, I am a Tippmann freak(have been for about 15 years). However I have been looking at the pilot and I like what I see. Ive read alot on this forum, and I still need alittle info before I can pull the trigger on my new gun.
So how good is this gun, will it take the abouse my Tippys do? Will it run well on Co2(I dont have any N2 setup). I perfer to keep the gun stock(will change hopper and barrel), and I want to know if it will perform well, or will I be force to change everything?
Thanks

J_Young
10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I've had my Pilot for a while now, and its given me no problems at all.

Taking abuse like a Tippy? I dont know about that....Personally, with it being an electronic gun(just assuming you are looking into the ACS) I am always pretty aware of my gun and tend to be careful while playing with it. Although it has taken its share of accidental bumps and bangs without a problem I havent ever tried whooping it against a tree or digging a trench with it. So I cant really answer that, but they are VERY reliable guns if properly taken care of.

The Pilot runs just fine on Co2, you may want to get an anti syphon to keep liquid Co2 out of your gun though. Me personally, I have yet to use one. But, it is in my plans for the immediate future, since I cant find anyone to fill HPA around here and it looks like I am stuck with Co2.

The pilot is a good gun out of the box. You said you will be getting a hopper and barrel. While you are at it, get a good clamping feedneck. You will be glad you did. The stock clear plastic feednecks will break in a heartbeat, and do not hold your hopper that well. I went through 3 of them in one day of play(kept having to tighten and tighten after every game until they finally snapped), and 5 all together before I got my clamping feedneck. And havent had to worry about that since. The rest, like trigger switch, grips, ect. are really just personal preference.

MVS1
10-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Honestly, my pilot versus tippy A5's or even up'd 98's its hard to decide, I can tell you this, if your looking for the chevy of paintball markers go with the pilot, their fairly cheap, easy to find aftermarket parts for and upgrade. If your looking for a reliable marker right out of the box stick with the tippmans. Browse some of the other link and you will start seeing a patern, cocking pin issues, broken striker back plates, breaking in the ACS spring, etc. All of which you can over come but not without some work. I've got my pilot set up for Lp and with the exception of trigger bounce I am finally quite pleased with its performance. I've seen 98 custom rental guns take an absolute beating and keep right on going with practically no maintenance. Choice is yours, if I was buying another marker I would look towards the ion or maybe the new VS series Kingman just introduced. See if you can find some pilot owners at your local field and ask them what they think of it and maybe let you use it and see for yourself. Either way good luck.

charvel74
10-10-2006, 09:41 AM
I just got the pilot a few weeks ago and I do not have any problems with it. However this is my first gun purchase so I have nothing to compare it to. The Pilot acs that I got only has the bottom portion of the striker bolt backing plate so the newer ones will not have the issue of that piece breaking. I also upgraded from the stock plastic feedneck as this will sooner or later be a problem. Hope that helps.
Mark

vwjimmy
10-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Man, the Pilot is a great choice for a CO2 electro marker. I find them as durable as any gun I have owned...(lots including some 98's) Very easy to clean and maintain, electronics that are proven and durable, all in all a great marker. You will end up buying a new feedneck for it as well as the barrel, but after that you will be very happy! :)
My .02

Sandman_Bravo
10-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Wal-mart has them for $130, you can't beat that price for an electronic marker with variable rates of fire. You won't be disappointed.

Ace
10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
http://www.anythingxteme.com has them for $107, lowest i've seen them

big_daddy_d
10-10-2006, 07:08 PM
go to your local field or pro shop and try a few markers out see what suits you...

Lexmetal4
10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, Tipmanns are good, but it really depends on what your playing. If you like to play speedball, or even rec-ball, than get the pilot. But if woodsball's your thing keep goin w/ tippmans. My friend has a tippman, and it works well for him in woods and rec. (rec sometimes) but he doesn't even think about speedball cause with his gun he'll get owned. He has a Tippman 98 Custom. It's really all opinion and what you like to do. Does that help?

CarbineKid
10-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Guys thanks for the info. I am not a huge speed ball player. I never really liked the concept. I'm fairly good and I dont ned more the 3 or 4 shots to take a guy out. I just like the idea of having a full auto to mess with.

MVS1
10-11-2006, 08:22 PM
get an e trigger or a response trigger for your tippy's. I've got a friend that has an Lp 98 custom with e-trigger, cyclon feed and numerous other upgrades and I used it for a match during a tournament (speedball) do to trigger bounce issues with my pilot and that baby rocked. I played backman and in 5 minutes I went through the hopper and three pods.

Halucin8
10-11-2006, 09:08 PM
all my marjers are spyder or spyder clones that are electric and my favorite is my pilot. The guys I play with out in the woods started out with tippy's and ahve migrated to spyders because they are so much easier to maintain and clean in the field if you break a ball. I can't take anythign away froma tippy they are good but spyders are so much easier.

Sandman_Bravo
10-12-2006, 02:07 AM
And there are a gazillion after-market parts for spyders, making upgrading or customizing limitless in it's possibilities. Tippman's have some parts available, but most are cosmetic in nature.

darkpilot06
10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
both my wife and i own 06 pilots, we play woods ball and some speed ball. with a good hopper(eggy halo) these guns wont let you down. we play every weekend possible and not one ball has jammed or chopped in those guns. you can shoot 13 bps on auto or shoot even faster when walking the trigger. upgrades are endless for these guns.