PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a N00b

RomeNYRR
10-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought the Pilot ACS for my wife because we've been hooked on PB for a while, and decided it was time for a marker. What tips/upgrades does everybody recommend for her new marker? everything is currently stock so let me know what i should go with? i have 1 more question, what makes a e-hopper better than a regular hopper? please help

Baozer
10-07-2006, 02:12 PM
regular hoppers load the balls faster.... especially force feed ones that load faster then gravity [ex. eggy, reloader b, halo b]

umm... i would also recomend a new feedneck...

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Well welcome to the forums.

These are commonly asked questions. I will start with the second one. Electronic hoppers as a rule have motors that turn a paddle inside of the hopper, now a low end electronic hopper such as the VL Quantom has a motor that spins all the time and a single paddle that moves the paintballs around, this is rather inefective and causes more problems then it is worth. A better designed electro hopper is the Evolution II or the egg, it has a motor that spins a wheel that has 6 (I beleive) paddles on it, and it is designed to force a paintball into the feedneck (sort of) it also has a set of eyes that reads if there is a gap in the feedtube, that way the motor does not need to run the whole time only when needed. A high end electro hopper such as a Halo b or Reloader B have a motor that connected via belt drive to a wheel/cone that has a spring in it to spring load the balls and force them down the feedneck (yes a crude explanation I know but it is the jest of it) also havign a set of eyes (or in the reloaders case a sound activated board) .

All of these forms of electro hoppers work for their use besides the VL Quantum you are better off with a regular hopper over one of those.

Now for upgrades it really depends on how much you want to spend but here is a list in the order I think you should buy them.

Barrel
Regulator
Feedneck
Electro hopper at least a evolutionII others are obsolete.
spring kit
ASA with on/off
trigger
High flowing VA
High flowing valve
T board
HPA

RomeNYRR
10-07-2006, 04:58 PM

These are commonly asked questions. I will start with the second one. Electronic hoppers as a rule have motors that turn a paddle inside of the hopper, now a low end electronic hopper such as the VL Quantom has a motor that spins all the time and a single paddle that moves the paintballs around, this is rather inefective and causes more problems then it is worth. A better designed electro hopper is the Evolution II or the egg, it has a motor that spins a wheel that has 6 (I beleive) paddles on it, and it is designed to force a paintball into the feedneck (sort of) it also has a set of eyes that reads if there is a gap in the feedtube, that way the motor does not need to run the whole time only when needed. A high end electro hopper such as a Halo b or Reloader B have a motor that connected via belt drive to a wheel/cone that has a spring in it to spring load the balls and force them down the feedneck (yes a crude explanation I know but it is the jest of it) also havign a set of eyes (or in the reloaders case a sound activated board) .

All of these forms of electro hoppers work for their use besides the VL Quantum you are better off with a regular hopper over one of those.

Now for upgrades it really depends on how much you want to spend but here is a list in the order I think you should buy them.

Barrel
Regulator
Feedneck
Electro hopper at least a evolutionII others are obsolete.
spring kit
ASA with on/off
trigger
High flowing VA
High flowing valve
T board
HPA

WOW, thanks for the great info. I'll be posting here more often, as I learn. As for now, i have to get a definition for some of those upgrades that you recommended. what does it mean to dry shoot your marker?

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Barrel-Given
Regulator Regulates the amount of air that is put into your marker for each shot, making it more consistant and allowing you to choose the amount of air you put into it
Feedneck A Clamping feedneck clamps onto your hopper so that it does not fall off
Electro hopper at least a evolutionII others are obsolete. Explained already
spring kit Comes with a variety of springs that allow you to tinker with and fine tune your marker
ASA with on/off Air source adapter, this is what you screw your tank into, the on/off is just a valve that allows you to turn the air off when not in use.
trigger Obvious
High flowing VA A high flowing vertical adapter (what your regulator screws into) will allow more air into your gun at once, not restricting it will allow you to lower the pressure you operate at
High flowing valve Same as the VA in the practical sence, that it allows you to lower your pressure, the valve is what allows air into your gun
T board A upgrade electronic board that allows the use of eyes to detect if there is a paintball in the breech of the marker, and will not allow the gun to fire if there isnt. this saves you from breaking paint as you shoot
HPA High Pressure Air is a cleaner better propellent than co2, it is more stable so that weather and temperature does not affect it as much. It will make your gun more consistant as well.

Dry firing your marker is when you are shooting it with air but without paintballs, the manual says not to do it, but we say it is perfectly fine to do.

RomeNYRR
10-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Dry firing your marker is when you are shooting it with air but without paintballs, the manual says not to do it, but we say it is perfectly fine to do.

right now i just have hers even without a co2 tank, so i just been firing it, picturing how sweet its gonna be for her on the field. thanks for the definitions also :), u saved me alot of searching ;)

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Anytime, it is what we are here for, one rule that I ask you to make sure you follow.

Mask should be worn at all times when firing a marker whether you are just in your backyard or not it should be worn.

Also make sure you chronograph your marker before playing (A chronograph measures the speed at which the ball is traveling, anything over 300 FPS (feet per second) is dangerous and you NEED to have it lower then that.)

RomeNYRR
10-07-2006, 06:07 PM
For myself I was thinking about picking up the new VS3, are some of these upgrades addressed in the new markers?

RomeNYRR
10-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Anytime, it is what we are here for, one rule that I ask you to make sure you follow.

Mask should be worn at all times when firing a marker whether you are just in your backyard or not it should be worn.

Also make sure you chronograph your marker before playing (A chronograph measures the speed at which the ball is traveling, anything over 300 FPS (feet per second) is dangerous and you NEED to have it lower then that.)

Safety is always first in this house hold :) so you dont have to worry about that. As for the FPS, the fields around here limit it to 300, so I definetly wont have to worry about that

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 06:11 PM
For myself I was thinking about picking up the new VS3, are some of these upgrades addressed in the new markers?

Yes, to some extent they are, there is a new valve that eliminates the need of a aftermarket one, there is a clamping feedneck, a regulator (although nothing has been said about the quality of it), the trigger is a rocking trigger which cannot be replaced anyway, it has eyes, it could still use a T board just for the modes and the reliability mostly (but nothing has been said about a T-board fitting in one yet), there is an on/off ASA, nothing has been said about the quality of the barrel yet either.

The problem with the VS right now is that we know very little about them so it is hard to give an opinion on it, check back sometime next week and I will be able to tell you, there are a few users who already can, but mine will not be in until mid next week.

RomeNYRR
10-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Yes, to some extent they are, there is a new valve that eliminates the need of a aftermarket one, there is a clamping feedneck, a regulator (although nothing has been said about the quality of it), the trigger is a rocking trigger which cannot be replaced anyway, it has eyes, it could still use a T board just for the modes and the reliability mostly (but nothing has been said about a T-board fitting in one yet), there is an on/off ASA, nothing has been said about the quality of the barrel yet either.

The problem with the VS right now is that we know very little about them so it is hard to give an opinion on it, check back sometime next week and I will be able to tell you, there are a few users who already can, but mine will not be in until mid next week.

this is great, because i'm planning to purchase mines by this coming friday, so i cant wait for your review :)

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 06:18 PM
You may be reading a review by a much wiser member then myself within the next couple of days, the Administrator here has a bunch of these VS markers (also sells them for prob the lowest price around if not it is certainly the best service) his name is Otter look for his review in the VS section coming soon, his will undoubtedly be more in depth then mine because he is pretty much an expert review writter.

http://www.ottersccustoms.com/ there is a link to his website we call it the spyder bible.

RomeNYRR
10-07-2006, 06:25 PM
does he have a store link?

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 06:46 PM
does he have a store link?
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=6430