PDA

View Full Version : Went to the movies last night

vikingshadow
10-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Well, as some of you may remember, our theaters shut down about 8 months ago, leaving us with NO entertainment venue in our decently sized town most of the winter and all summer.

Last night was the night it reopened - they weren't showing new releases - just Pirates of the Carribean, Taledega Nights and Invincible (I guess this one's newish).

So, I grab enough money, stand in line with my family for 40 minutes before they opened the doors, spent 28.50 (got ripped off because adult price is 6.50 per person, 3 adults and 1 child in my party - I thought maybe the charged 4 adults, then added tax, but either way I was screwed over. Oh, and she didn't give us a receipt or tickets either...) wait in the concession line for another 20 minutes, find a seat and wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait. Seems they were having problems with the projector! After another 40 minutes, we were still waiting! First, the size was WAY to small for the screen (like watching wide screen format DVDs on a regular television set), half the faces were cut off, no sound, it was BACKWARDS, and when they finally got it going it was HALF-WAY through the movie!

Let me suffice this by saying last night was ALSO the high school Homecoming game that we skipped to go see the movie. Same as a lot of people there. Apparantly, not only was OUR projector messed up, but so was the one that was showing Taledega Nights. So a lot of people waited almost TWO and a HALF hours to watch any movie!

So, finally, we decide to leave. EVERYONE walked out griping, of course. The cashier then proceeded to tell me that I had not in fact paid 28.50, but only paid 24.50! I told her to look at me and asked her, "Why I would rip you off for 4.00? I can prove that I paid that amount!" I had to tell her that I had brought 60.00, spent a little over 16.00 at the concession stand, and showed her the money I had. She still wouldn't believe me! I was so upset - finally the owner showed up, sort of shrugged like he was saying, "Just give him the money so he'll go away," and then she handed over the money. I told her thank you for a miserable evening, suggested they get things in order before Saturday's showing, listened to the crowd that had backed up behind me waiting for refunds and scooted out of there. It was about 9:45 at that time. I had been at the theater for over 2.5 hours, with only a tub of over cooked popcorn and a coke that tasted funny to show for it.

On the way home, we heard on the radio that our football team was winning their Homecoming game 41 - 0, which was the first time we had won homecoming in 7 years, and the first blowout we've had in twice as many years....oh, yeah! I ended up coming home, watching The Longest Yard on Showtime and falling asleep then waking up around 12:30 to go to bed...It was a great night last night!

durrell
10-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow vike..sounds like quite a night. Our football team is off to a 5-1 start which is pretty good for us..we came back and won homecoming last night but I didn't go..I just went spotlighting instead..

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 10:17 AM
I just went spotlighting instead..
Hick.

Anyway, Vike open a theater, make money, do the movies the right way, dont overcharge and you will be rolling in the bling and having a good theater for your town all at once.

claustrophobia9
10-07-2006, 10:21 AM
our football team is tied for no.1 in the state.

no movie theater? you should consider yourself lucky, we have one going up behind our house. (late night traffic, huge, towering building in the horizon)

durrell
10-07-2006, 10:23 AM
our football team is tied for no.1 in the state.

So? You probably paid some kids to move there and play. :dodgy:

claustrophobia9
10-07-2006, 10:40 AM
on the contrary, the kids' parents actually pay the school to go there.

emf7301
10-07-2006, 10:45 AM
that is pretty bad about the movie projectors being messed up but 6.50 is a good price around here. Most new release theaters around here charge 8.00-9.00 for an adult ticket. Needless to say i don't go anymore unless i'm with a bunch of friends and it's a movie that i desperately want to see. It sure helps tho to have a 1.00 theater nearby that shows the movies after they leave the new release theaters but before they come out on DVD. I'm really starting to enjoy this college thing. :D

conradl
10-07-2006, 10:53 AM
6:50!!!! I dont remember the last time the movies were that cheap, Here in Los Angeles theres a place called the grove, it's real high end, but they charge 12.50 for regular seating and 15 for premier seating. But the regular places charge between 10.50 and 13.00

vikingshadow
10-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Anyway, Vike open a theater, make money, do the movies the right way, dont overcharge and you will be rolling in the bling and having a good theater for your town all at once.

Actually, it's funny you mentioned that because we did consider it. Except for the fact that I love teaching and the nights I have to have to decompress before the next day, we probably would have gone for it! My brother even considered it, but then we heard that the original owner of the theaters bought them back and was going to open them up again. He ran three theaters and a drive-in 20 years ago and it was an awesome place to go, but then he got sick (leukemia) and sold it to the jerks that ran it into the ground. I really miss that drive-in, but now there's a bank going up there. Like we need another one!

Up until about 2-3 years ago, adult priced tickets here were 4.00 each, and we really enjoyed it. When I was in college, they had "2.00 Tuesdays" every week and ALL college kids got to go to the current release movie in that theater for, yup, 2.00! I saw so many movies then - Terminator, Star Trek 4, Mischief, Spring Break, The Last Dragon, etc. Good movies, great price - those were the Golden Years for me!

emf7301
10-07-2006, 12:16 PM
funny you say that you had 2.00 tuesdays. at the dollar theater here, they have a .50 tuesdays.

DRAGON
10-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I been in the right place but it must have been the wrong time
I'd have said the right thing but I must have used the wrong line
I been in the right trip but I must have used the wrong car
My head was in a bad place and I'm wondering what it's good for
I been the right place but it must have been the wrong time
My head was in a bad place but I'm having such a good time

I been running trying to get hung up in my mind
Got to give myself a good talking-to this time
Just need a little brain salad surgery
Got to cure my insecurity

I been in the wrong place but it must have been the right time
I been in the right place but it must have been the wrong song
I been in the right vein but it seems like the wrong arm
I been in the right world but it seems wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Slipping dodging sneaking creeping hiding out down the street
See me life shaking with every ho' I meet
Refried confusion is making itself clear
Wonder which way do I go to get on out of here

I'd have took the right road but I must have took a wrong turn
I'd have took the right move but I made it at the wrong time
I been on the trip road but I must have used the wrong car
My head was in a good place and I wonder what it's bad for.

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I been in the right trip but I must have used the wrong car
My head was in a bad place and I'm wondering what it's good for
I been the right place but it must have been the wrong time
My head was in a bad place but I'm having such a good time

I been running trying to get hung up in my mind
Got to give myself a good talking-to this time
Just need a little brain salad surgery
Got to cure my insecurity

I been in the wrong place but it must have been the right time
I been in the right place but it must have been the wrong song
I been in the right vein but it seems like the wrong arm
I been in the right world but it seems wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Slipping dodging sneaking creeping hiding out down the street
See me life shaking with every ho' I meet
Refried confusion is making itself clear
Wonder which way do I go to get on out of here

I'd have took the right road but I must have took a wrong turn
I'd have took the right move but I made it at the wrong time
I been on the trip road but I must have used the wrong car
My head was in a good place and I wonder what it's bad for.

:confused:

DFSniper
10-07-2006, 01:55 PM
the most our team scored this year was 6... we have one kid with a concussion, and one with bruised ribs. they were supposed to go to sicily to play an american school down there for their homecoming, but had problems with tickets, so i dunno if they went or not.

BTW, Talladega Nights was awesome!

DFSniper
10-07-2006, 01:56 PM

Right Place Wrong Time by Dr. John

DRAGON
10-07-2006, 01:58 PM

Umma.....he went to the crappy movie theater rather than the game. Get it now? - :rolleyes:

TheRedBarron
10-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Umma.....he went to the crappy movie theater rather than the game. Get it now? - :rolleyes:
I see.. I <3 you Drago.

DRAGON
10-07-2006, 02:36 PM
I see.. I <3 you Drago.

Straight and to the point. Me <3's dat..........:love:

Scuse me....I hadn't at that point had my daily Spicy Chickens from Rally's yet. Now that I have, I'm ready to move on for the day. I could swear some of Gunny's meds are still being passed around here at times though lol - :D

vikingshadow
10-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Gunny's meds are well in hand, erhm, cabinet - thank ya very much!

Of course, every now and then, I "accidently" lose one in someone's drink - did you have the "coffee" this morning?

DRAGON
10-07-2006, 04:51 PM
You mean that red pill that was floating around in my cup this morning? Barron mistakenly took my cup this morning. I think that explains all cept why you'd ever consider going to that theater again lol -

QAZ123
10-08-2006, 06:16 AM
I went last night. Watched "Employee of the month". Only thing good about it was Jessica Simpson's cleavage and I still would like the 1:43 it took away from my life back!

JB.

Hossy
10-08-2006, 07:10 AM
On the way home, we heard on the radio that our football team was winning their Homecoming game 41 - 0, which was the first time we had won homecoming in 7 years, and the first blowout we've had in twice as many years....oh, yeah!

hate to ruin your party, but my highschool blows every team out by that score, almost every game.

thank god you and i hope the rest of the people got their money back, that must of sucked waiting in line for that long.

.21'[~tw!tch*
10-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Wow all I have to say is....Drum roll Please.....

Bad-Karma. what Did you do wrong lol?

.;p3ace:.

vikingshadow
10-08-2006, 10:54 AM
hate to ruin your party, but my highschool blows every team out by that score, almost every game.

thank god you and i hope the rest of the people got their money back, that must of sucked waiting in line for that long.

Not ruining my party! You have to understand just how bad our team has been for several years....

Everyone got their money back - I think. Worst part was having to argue with the lady about the amount I paid...

Karma? Nah, I'm a great guy!

Nader
10-08-2006, 11:36 AM
funny you say that you had 2.00 tuesdays. at the dollar theater here, they have a .50 tuesdays.

So does ours!! .50 cent tuesdyas are the balls!