PDA

View Full Version : Platte Caynon High School Bailey, CO

Hoppy11
09-27-2006, 01:03 PM
I just turned to MSNBC and a breacking news story was on. It is another hostage situation in a colorado high school. Apparently an adult man took people hostage and called 911 from inside the school. This is about all I know, so just turn to CNN or MSNBC.

Edit: There are two hostages and there have been reports of multiple firings and that the hostages are being held in a classroom. Also, the evacuation of the school and surounding schools is going very smoothly and it is nothing like Columbine. And the gunman is claiming to have an explosive device.

TheRedBarron
09-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Im watching that right now, with everyone at work.

durrell
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
That sucks..:(

Edit: On a lighter note, look what the name of the TV station that's covering it is...KUSA! w00t

TheRedBarron
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
That sucks..:(

Edit: On a lighter note, look what the name of the TV station that's covering it is...KUSA! w00t
I pointed that out to hoppy just 10 seconds before you posted.

pbfreak3221
09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
This is terrifying for my family we have a lot of relatives out in colorado and one of my cousins goes to highschool in a nieghboring town

TheRedBarron
09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
This is terrifying for my family we have a lot of relatives out in colorado and one of my cousins goes to highschool in a nieghboring town
Chances are your cousin will finish the day of school, this kind of problem does not affect an entire area but more like just a single district hence the reason the 4 schools in said district are being sent home. The SWAT team is in there right now, and they are in works of communicating with this shooter, I would not worry too much if I were your family but would be thankful that his school was not chosen.

thechubbss12
09-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Life happens... people die.... ive been expecting something like this too happen for awhile....

Nader
09-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I live in Colorado Springs, which is like 20 miles south of there.......wow.
Crazy stuff. Good thing no one has been hurt yet.

Hoppy11
09-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Life happens... people die.... ive been expecting something like this too happen for awhile....

You are rediculous. What if this was happening at your school or a school were you family or friends go to. Think of it that way. What if you brother or sister was being held hostage right now? Don't tell me that you hate your siblings and wouldn't care because that is bull****.

I don't know if you have, but alot of people including myself know what it is like to lose people that are very close, and that is why we all care about this. Just think for a second.

vikingshadow
09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Wow, we just got out of a faculty meeting about this exact situation - a "what if" meeting. Didn't know it was actually happening!

I agree with Hoppy - that was a cold statement, and not at all right, in my opinion. Sure, life happens and people die of NATURAL causes. This is far from natural and I was just told that my main concern would be my students and I was in no way to go and help my daughter who is in the same school but another class....try living with that! I have to protect my classroom of students while fighting the urge to protect my own child.

I certainly hope the country's youth isn't becoming acclaimated to this kind of tragic happening - as if school shootings were that common (which they aren't.) I don't care how tough anyone is, it just isn't right and you should NEVER have to expect this to happen at your school.

UKwithPride
09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Gunman is dead now. One of the girls is critically wounded.

badlandsrox
09-27-2006, 03:36 PM
pretty much same thing happened at my school 2 weeks ago

TheRedBarron
09-27-2006, 03:37 PM
pretty much same thing happened at my school 2 weeks ago
MTL?

pbfreak3221
09-27-2006, 03:55 PM
It was pretty stupid, last school year some kids from another town called in a bomb threat to my school. They got busted a week later

badlandsrox
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
CGY

Lol, no, pretty much some kid thought it would be a good idea to bring a gun to school, and do a driveby shooting of the school, luckily no one was hit, but same thing happened same day in another school in calgary except it was in north calgary (mines in south calgary), and 4 people were hit, but we were alot more efficient, within 20 min. of the lockdown we were back in business, with the people apprehended, and area cleared... the other school was locked down for 4 hours

Hossy
09-27-2006, 06:20 PM
website or article or shens

marvin-martian
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
ya, because hoppy and matt shens'd a news story. im sure it would be on any major news stie such as cnn...

timmyshoota
09-27-2006, 06:38 PM
ya, because hoppy and matt shens'd a news story. im sure it would be on any major news stie such as cnn...

I think he means what the canuck said, silly. :)

marvin-martian
09-27-2006, 06:43 PM
oh...nevermind then...

badlandsrox
09-27-2006, 06:44 PM
hmmm, ill just find it

badlandsrox
09-27-2006, 07:01 PM
http://schools.cbe.ab.ca/b829/parentletter.pdf#search=%22dr%20ep%20scarlett%20lo ckdown%22

thechubbss12
09-28-2006, 04:18 AM
Ehh it may have been a cold statement.... But do you realy think yoiu understand how many times shootings happen in schools... No i dont think you do.... Everyday someone in a school is probibly killed in the ghettos... But hey WTH we dont care about them kids in the ghettos...

Yea right it takes a mostly white school to make national news... So what i the killngs dont happen actuly in the school they are still teenage children... No matter if they are "horrible" gangsters or if they do stupid things they are still human beings...

We get worked up for when someone holds up a school with probibly no intent to kill mass people... and yet we can shrug off the loss af acouple hundred gangsters that got killed over the week... Any life lost is a sad one... Like ive said ive been expecting another school shooting things to happen in a upper class white school and for it to make national news for along time...

If it was my school, hell i would have to get my priorities strait and realise my life is not worth the lifes of 10 other... If i died killing 1 gun man then it would be worth it... Because no one else would do it.

vikingshadow
09-28-2006, 04:51 AM
None of us can help what gets broadcasted and to me, I don't care if they're white, black, yellow or red. Kids are kids, and to me it's NOT an everyday thing.

Also, it's a horrible thing to most people because school is supposed to be a SAFE place for kids. Sure, I understand it's not in a lot of cases, but people like me try very hard to make school a place of safety, learning and fun. Do you know how many kids that I tell a day that I understand their lives at home are horrible and to just come to school where they can get away from that and be safe? It's not just the inner city schools or those around larger cities.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but don't try to push reality and whiteness on me. I haven't just lived here in NW Oklahoma. I've seen it over and over and I don't care if it's on the street, in your house or at school - it's ALL tragic. The best we can try and do is to make one place in the world safe - that's why it's a tragedy when it happens in school.

Now that one of my daughters is in the 5th grade and another in the 8th - it hits very close to home for me, so yeah - I think that's a pessimistic and cold view of life. And I'll continue to feel it's a tragedy (no matter the primary race of the school) and work to make schools a safe place for kids.

Sorry, that's the way I feel. End rant.

Sandman_Bravo
09-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Maybe these kids need a safe outlet for their frustrations... perhaps an after school paintball league? A few years back the NHL started an inner-city type program to help less priviledged kids get a chance at hockey, and they also hoped to find some natural talent. Funding was given to the program thru the NHL. I'm not sure what the outcome was, but you get the idea. I wonder if there is enough money in paintball for something like that.

bamf-hacker
09-28-2006, 07:00 AM
What really bothered me about this is the TO Attempted Suicide got more air time than this.....

What is wrong with our society...

Heart felt thoughts go out to the family of the girl killed and the students.

Hoppy11
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Bamf I wish i coudl answer that because If I could then I would be a millionaire and never have to work again.