PDA

View Full Version : xbox/technology Gurus..Look here please!!!

FredPo
09-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Here's my problem guys. I've still got an original xbox. I just bought Madden 07 and it freezes up on me every single game. It freezes up approximately 5-6 times in the time length of one Madden game (about an hour). I assumed it's the disc reader heads (I think that's the term for them lol) so I bought a dvd cleaner. Ran it a few times in the xbox and still does it. I know it's not the game as the game is new and it does it with my other games also.
So my question is, is there anything I can do to save my xbox or is it time to pitch it and buy another console? Thanks guys, any advice is appreciated as I'm trying to save money.

Fred

stylinbeaver
09-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Possibly the eye is damaged or old?? You could replace it pretty cheap. Or get a whole new disk drive

vwjimmy
09-25-2006, 06:24 PM
is it overheating? try cooling it with an external fan....

FredPo
09-25-2006, 06:27 PM
hmm, I'm not sure if it's overheating. That's a good possibility as it seems to freeze at the same amount of time.
As for replacing the eye or getting a new diskdrive, where do I find these items out and is it easy to replace yourself? Thanks guys.

Fred

stylinbeaver
09-25-2006, 06:30 PM
For disk drives, i would look on ebay. That would probally be your best bet. It is [B]so so so[B] simple to replace. It's just a couple of wires to unplug. If you get tired of it, shoot me a PM first. I might be interested in another one if it's cheap enough

EDIT:::: If it is overheating, then make sure the fan is running. If it's not running, then you'll have to replace that. Does it do it to other games also?? Or just this one game??

durrell
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Replacing the disk drive is as simple as removing some screws and popping in a new one. But before you do that, I'd recommend getting a DVD drive cleaning kit that cleans the eye. That's an easy fix. I'd also take compressed air and clean the box out with that, and wipe the dust out. All of this could contribute to the problems.

claustrophobia9
09-26-2006, 02:15 AM
walmart exchanges without reciepts... ?

Muddytaco
09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Try getting those little cans of compressed air and blowing out the box, if your warrenty is already up pop the case open for better cleaning.

JMotioN
09-26-2006, 02:07 PM
1-800-4MY-XBOX

yeah ive called that number so many times with mine :D id just talk to someone, u dont have to send it to them but its there job to give u a diagnositics. if your not under warranty, i payed 80 bucks plus shipping to get my harddrive replaced :/ yeah they didnt even tell me that...

viseversa2303
09-26-2006, 03:04 PM
after a few yrs xbox disk drive goes bad. I have changed mine once already and i think the one i bought is giving up already so i might have to change it again. Try this website it always has good stuff this is the website where i modified the crap of my xbox.
XBOX SCENE (http://www.xbox-scene.com/)

stylinbeaver
09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
after a few yrs xbox disk drive goes bad. I have changed mine once already and i think the one i bought is giving up already so i might have to change it again. Try this website it always has good stuff this is the website where i modified the crap of my xbox.
XBOX SCENE (http://www.xbox-scene.com/)
Yup. Xboxscene is a great place to go. www.modzone.dk That is a great place to go to get ideas if you want to mod your Xbox.

claustrophobia9
09-26-2006, 06:25 PM
i leave mine on for 6 days straight and have no problems.

viseversa2303
09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
you got the lucky batch of xbox'es then

colonel_moo
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
my brother got madden 07 for his bran new 360, and it did the same thing. EB games also wouldnt take it back. conspiracy? you decide.

TheRedBarron
09-27-2006, 11:34 AM
i leave mine on for 6 days straight and have no problems.
I leave mine on all the time, have yet to have any problems outside of the baby theiving my controllers. My bad I thought we were talking 360.

But I never had any problems with leaving my old box on either.