PDA

View Full Version : web programming assistance...

OtterSC
09-25-2006, 05:15 AM
need a point in the right direction for you website technical guru's.

i am wanting to tech myself a new computer language. what i would like to do is create a program that will "randomly" generate numbers from 1 thru 6 (6 sided dice), to be able to impliment how many dice to be rolled at one time without adding the numbers. and email the results to 2 email addresses that the user can input prior to rolling. a bonus would be to be able to recall these rolls up to 1 month from the dice roll.

what language should i consider? PHP, SQL, other?

was at the book store the other day and got a little overwhelmed with all the languages. it appeared that both PHP and SQL does what i need. but just not sure which one i should focus on. thanks for your responses.

another thought is, what program language uses the CGI-BIN?

shunut
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Best way would probably be javascript. I'm not sure exactly how to write it but I discussed it with an expert (my mom) and she said javascript would probably be easiest and best.

OtterSC
09-25-2006, 09:13 AM
really? for all that i want to do?

hehe, can your mom make an example?

i can PM you exactly what i am looking for if you want. let me know.

Mech Warrior
09-25-2006, 10:04 AM
shortstuff's mom is right: javascript is the way to go. And it's been done: just google 'javascript dice game', and you'll get all kinds of hits.

Check this one: http://javascript.internet.com/games/dice-roller.html

shunut
09-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I can talk to my mom about writing out an example but you should be able to steal it from something like Mech Warrior has listed.

OtterSC
09-25-2006, 10:33 AM
k, i guess i was thinking too advanced.

i did not think that java was good enough for this type of thing.

this would allow for email of results to be sent?

how about a data base to retrieve pase rolls? just thinking that it was PHP/SQL/PERL that did that.

still doing research on it. i did think about java but thought it was too weak.